Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    What is apparent to me, after the first 4 rounds, is that Joey is not best 22 when playing as a HB flanker and wing.

I still think he is one of our best contested ball winners but as pointed out by others, now lacks that explosiveness to defend like he once did when we lose the clearance.

So the big issue is whether the overall package as an inside mid and leader out weighs the loss of speed and defensiveness ability. Does it mean that he is behind a whole host of players inside time? For me, this can only be resolved by playing him in his natural position. He deserves the opportunity to be at his best and stay in the team given everything he's done.
    The reason that Kennedy isn't playing as an on-baller this year is because it was already apparent last year that he was a liability defensively at stoppages. He looks even slower this year. There's been an active debate on here about how many slow midfielders we should have at centre bounces. The slow group consists of Mills, Parker and Rowbottom. JPK would be in the super slow group. My guess is that the consensus is around 1 slow mid and 2 from the quicker group of Warner, Florent, JMac, Heeney, Gulden, Campbell and Papley. I can't see Kennedy coming into the equation. I doubt Kennedy will play on after this year and the coaching staff have already moved on the the next midfield group.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Am I in the minority thinking that Amartey should be in the team ahead of McLean?

While McLean is a good contested mark and accurate set shot, he is very slow and is a liability once the ball is on the ground - he has the turning circle of a semitrailer. Additionally when he pinch hits in the ruck he is only really a tap ruck at best.

Amartey seems to be a lot more mobile as a forward, and while he mightn't take as many pack marks, he's a lot better when the ball is at ground level and seems to have more of an impact in general play. Also I think his work in the ruck is very good. He plays like a midfielder and lays a lot of tackles and wins possession when in the middle. I think having a mobile forward would compliment our fast team dynamic a lot more than McLean.

Reid being in the team ahead of Amartey is another debate, but I thought as McLean and Amartey seem to be fighting for the forward/ruck spot I wanted to see what people thought
    I'm in the minority with you for the very reasons you have pointed out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Am I in the minority thinking that Amartey should be in the team ahead of McLean?

While McLean is a good contested mark and accurate set shot, he is very slow and is a liability once the ball is on the ground - he has the turning circle of a semitrailer. Additionally when he pinch hits in the ruck he is only really a tap ruck at best.

Amartey seems to be a lot more mobile as a forward, and while he mightn't take as many pack marks, he's a lot better when the ball is at ground level and seems to have more of an impact in general play. Also I think his work in the ruck is very good. He plays like a midfielder and lays a lot of tackles and wins possession when in the middle. I think having a mobile forward would compliment our fast team dynamic a lot more than McLean.

Reid being in the team ahead of Amartey is another debate, but I thought as McLean and Amartey seem to be fighting for the same forward/ruck spot I wanted to see what people thought on those two (I do think you could easily run a forward line with both McLean and Amartey in it)
    It's close for the reasons you say, particularly as McLean and Reid are a pretty immobile pair. McLean more bankable to take a contested mark inside 50, and suspect that's the reason he is in.

On the veteran's list
    Reid is a class above Joel and Hayden. He is a genuine AFL player when he gets a run at it. The other two are depth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Reid is a class above Joel and Hayden. He is a genuine AFL player when he gets a run at it. The other two are depth.
    Completely agree, I would play Amartey ahead of McLean at this stage, though Hayden is a more reliable kick on goal.

All in all, I don’t think that’s a minority view here!

Veterans List
    Recommended interview Perth radio did with Errol Gulden earlier this week. Skip the first 2m30 in which the hosts bang on about a failed wager; once the interview starts, there are some good questions and, as expected, articulate responses.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=982174

Opti-pessi-misti
    I was amazed, a little bit shocked by what Amartey showed in the few games he played last year. Having watched him in a few NEAFL games previously I had long written him off. I would love to see what he could do given a few consecutive games in the seniors. He seemed to be able to make his presence felt in a way that the other 3 don't. Unfortunately he seems to be behind Reid, McLean and Logan in the pecking order and as with Stephens and Melican will have limited opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Recommended interview Perth radio did with Errol Gulden earlier this week. Skip the first 2m30 in which the hosts bang on about a failed wager; once the interview starts, there are some good questions and, as expected, articulate responses.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=982174
    Sounds very much the seasoned professional and academy ambassador. And on the academy, I expect to hear a bit of academy whining tonight, with Gulden, Campbell, Blakey, Mills and Heeney, all elite athletes that are likely to find Optus to their liking and all a chance of cutting the Eagles up.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how McDonald goes tonight, in the absence of Buddy. Reasonable chance that he'll be targeted more often than usual, and reasonable chance that he'll make the most of it.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Sounds very much the seasoned professional and academy ambassador. And on the academy, I expect to hear a bit of academy whining tonight, with Gulden, Campbell, Blakey, Mills and Heeney, all elite athletes that are likely to find Optus to their liking and all a chance of cutting the Eagles up.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how McDonald goes tonight, in the absence of Buddy. Reasonable chance that he'll be targeted more often than usual, and reasonable chance that he'll make the most of it.
    Obviously, the Swans media training have spent some time with him. They've been pushing "obviously" as the go-to filler word since Paul Roos' days. I didn't do a count but toward the end he rattles it off at least 5 or 6 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Obviously, the Swans media training have spent some time with him. They've been pushing "obviously" as the go-to filler word since Paul Roos' days. I didn't do a count but toward the end he rattles it off at least 5 or 6 times.
    Well. It's a change from "definitely". Personally, I prefer the generic "that's a really good question."

Kennedy out

Ronke and Bell in

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Kennedy out

Ronke and Bell in
    Do we know who the med sub is?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Do we know who the med sub is?
    I don’t think we know for sure who it is until an hour out when they announce the final team.

I’ll start a match thread then.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast