Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Senior Player

Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Friday night, 5:40 PM Perth time.

Franklin out 4-6 weeks with broken finger.

In: McDonald, Wicks
    Out: Bell

I think Papley needs to come in if he's fit. He provides a lot of energy up front.

Yes, Papps should be back ... hopefully. The team has been average at best in the last 2 games so I would not be surprised if someone we didn't expect is dropped for this game. Do we think Joey will be a good option in those fast conditions in Perth? What about Wilbur and Errol. They might be both nervous about their position?

• Errol was poor by his standards yesterday but he was good in rounds 1 and 2. He is safe.
    • Will just does enough to keep his spot but I yearn for him to break through that barrier. I was really optimistic that he could become our Bailey Fritsch but it just doesn't seem to be. Just under 2 goals a game so far this season.
    • JPK still worries the life out of me. One of my all time favourites is in no man's land right now.
    • Parker looks like he's still carrying the injury from round 1.

In: McDonald, Papley, Stephens
    Out: Franklin, Bell, JPK or Parker (if injured)

Outs:

Franklin, Gulden, Rowbottom

Ins:

Logan, Papley, Stephens

Medical sub - Ronke

Logan comes in for Franklin instead of Amartey as he’s more mobile and we have other guys to assist in the ruck.

Gulden needs a rest. Caught holding the ball a few times and umpire abuse free kick. Young players often need to freshen up. Look at J-Macs last quarter. Was fresh and running due to the two week break.

The ground will suit Stephens’s run. Rowbottom doesn’t suit Perth so he’s out and J-Mac will be brilliant in a centre square role in Perth.

Bell deserves another game after taking his chances with good small forward goals.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If Parker is playing injured, and he did reference after his heroics in round one he’d played forward as he had a niggle, then I’d think about two options for him next week. Either leave him at home if they think a week off will work, or play him mainly forward given his groin seems to be robbing him of power in the middle where you need that leg strength most.

He’s good at it, we will have an inexperienced forward line, and WCE are outstanding are zoning off and plucking intercept marks, so they need to kept occupied by good players.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    Parker played a lot forward in the last quarter but did not have any real impact. He has been well under his usual high standard. He didn't jump, mark or tackle as much as we expected ( Just 8 kicks, 1 mark and 1 tackle for the entire game). Flying a few hours to Perth and play again in 6 days may not be good. I don't mind resting him if Papley is good to come back.

Mcdonald for Buddy
    Papley for Bell or Ronke if fit
    Wicks is not an auto pick for me, doesnt do enough with or without it.

Wibur needed to sit on Hurn.

Kennedy a worry, Macca wasnt fast but was a fast thinker and good kick, Kennedy looks slow and poor disposal missing targets at wrong parts of the ground. Rioli and Ryan will eat him up.

Stephens needs to have a crack if he gets a run, grow a pair and break a line, he is capable, plays too much like he is worried about making a mistake

Pushing for Selection
    In: Hickey,McDonald & Papley

Out: Reid, Franklin & Bell

Hickey only misses 1 week with serious knee injuries remember 🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz13 View Post
    In: Hickey,McDonald & Papley

Out: Reid, Franklin & Bell

Hickey only misses 1 week with serious knee injuries remember 🤣🤣
    Like your sense of humour, Buzz!

Logan and Paps in (if fit)
    Parker to be rested. Would rather keep Bell in instead of Wicks. Played reasonably well and kicked a couple and didn’t miss any! Sammy played ok so keep him. Maybe Amartey for McLean to go with Nick Nat.

Veteran Site Admin
    I doubt Wicks will even be available for selection this week. He was initially named in the side, was he not? Which means he must have "entered H&S protocols" very late in the week. The match is on Friday, and I guess the squad will fly out to Perth on Wednesday or Thursday. It may make a difference is he is just a close contact rather than has contracted COVID. But no training in a week isn't great preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I doubt Wicks will even be available for selection this week. He was initially named in the side, was he not? Which means he must have "entered H&S protocols" very late in the week. The match is on Friday, and I guess the squad will fly out to Perth on Wednesday or Thursday. It may make a difference is he is just a close contact rather than has contracted COVID. But no training in a week isn't great preparation.
    Good point, Liz. Not happy with all these 6 day breaks as I’m sure it makes a difference. Poor management by the AFL but what can we expect? On top of their umpiring fiasco……….give me a break!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast