Thread: Tickets to Eagles v Swans game at Optus

Pushing for Selection

Tickets to Eagles v Swans game at Optus

I am a long time Swans supporter/member from the Central Coast of NSW visiting my son and family in Perth and would like to attend the Swannies game at Optus Oval on Friday night. My son and grandson are both Swans supporters and I had planned to buy tickets on-line and take them to the game. Unfortunately, tickets could not be obtained. Public health measures in WA have Optus capacity capped at 75 per cent. I am prepared to pay ticket price if any are available. If any forum members can provide a lead or assistance I can be contacted by private message and would be very grateful.

Veteran Site Admin
    GoRhino

I just had a look (via "Buy Tickets" on the AFL site) and it looks like they've just released a handful of seats. There looks to be some availability spread around the perimeter of the ground, all in the uppermost stands. If you get in quick you might get lucky.

Pushing for Selection
    We have kicked a goal! Thanks for the tip off, liz. Our seats are elevated but we are all smiles and will be supporting our Swannies tomorrow night.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm delighted you've achieved your mission.

In 1996 I travelled over to Perth to watch the Swans play the Eagles at the WACA. It was only the second away game I'd ever travelled to (after the MCG the previous week - Demons, I think it was). It never occurred to me that games sometimes sell out, so I got to Perth several days before the game, made no attempt to buy a ticket, and travelled down to Margaret River for a short trip. I got back to Perth on the morning of the game, and heard on the news that the game was close to selling out. I rushed to the nearest ticket agency but had no luck.

So I travelled to the ground a couple of hours before the game started and hung out, looking for someone who might have a ticket to spare. I wasn't entirely sure of the legality of what I was trying to do and there were loads of policemen around, and subtlety isn't necessarily an asset in that situation. Wearing a red and white scarf may not have helped my cause, either.

Eventually a bumped into a group with one bloke who didn't seem overcommitted to attending the game. I offered him $100, which made his mind up pretty quickly. Back then, general entry (sitting on the grass bank) probably cost around $11. That was a lot of money, but when you've travelled to the other side of the country I guess you do what it takes.

I've never since travelled to a non-MCG game without a ticket already in my back pocket. I know what it feels like to be desperate.

Thinking back on it, it was kinda surprising that the game only sold out on the day of the match. The capacity of the WACA wasn't much greater than 20,000, if my memory serves me correctly. When you think about the crowd sizes that the Eagles get to every game nowadays, you'd have thought that tickets would be close to impossible to come by.

Pushing for Selection
    Don't you love the passion of footy followers. I can understand your empathy for our circumstances. Thanks again liz 🤗

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by GoRhino View Post
    We have kicked a goal! Thanks for the tip off, liz. Our seats are elevated but we are all smiles and will be supporting our Swannies tomorrow night.
    It is times like these, (good news stories amongst our group) that makes me wish we had a like button.

Sooo excited. Pretty sure my seat is close to the cheer squad. Should be sitting near like-minded people!!! My idea of heaven!!