Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games. Good Friday, mediocre Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    Anybody else get the warm and fuzzies watching the giants get destroyed....

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Me

Senior Player

Makes me worry how we will match up against them if they don't have any injuries. The Dees are flying and could go 18+ wins this season.

I like the part when the umpire signals another melbourne goal....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Me

Senior Player
    Seems the Dees are done toying with the Giants (terribly dull first half) and have decided to turn it on and put them to the sword.

When they flick that switch, they really go to a level above everyone else.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    The Giants are being smacked around at the MCG though Melbourne are sooooooooooo impressive. GWS used to blitz sides with run and kicking skills. They now play stodgy crap, which is doubly stupid given they lack a forward line.

Forrest Gump will likely be gone as coach at the end of the season. They should have won a flag or two when their list was at its peak but he couldn’t deliver.

I know there’s a lot of focus on Clarko to the Suns, but I wonder if the plastics beckon.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Not even clarko could fix this rabble. Invested in the wrong players...
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The Giants are being smacked around at the MCG though Melbourne are sooooooooooo impressive. GWS used to blitz sides with run and kicking skills. They now play stodgy crap, which is doubly stupid given they lack a forward line.

Forrest Gump will likely be gone as coach at the end of the season. They should have won a flag or two when their list was at its peak but he couldn’t deliver.

I know there’s a lot of focus on Clarko to the Suns, but I wonder if the plastics beckon.

Not me
    I like to see any interstate team knock off a Melbourne team . Bring back Toby, 6 weeks was OTT.
    Well done Crows .

Senior Player
    Melbourne are a seriously good side and will be hard to beat this year and probably for a few years yet. However I think our young players are on track to match them in the next season or two.
    Their hard running high confidence style is great to watch and they sometimes move the ball in handball waves that is almost Rugby like in its execution. They always seem to have someone ready and waiting for the next possession and some of the no look handpasses tonight were a sign of supreme confidence that a team mate would be on the receiving end of it.
    I think we are on track to have our team playing a similar style and it could be an interesting rivalry over the next few years.

Senior Player
    Not even clarko could fix this rabble. Invested in the wrong players...

Didn't watch the game, but the stats make an interesting read.

On the basis of the stats alone, it seems the game was won in the forward 50s.

GWS won clearances 41-33 and the contested possession count by 4. GWS had only 12 fewer disposals, but 8 more tackles. Melbourne edged out inside 50s 57-53, but had 13 more shots on goal (30-17) and more than three times as many marks inside 50 (13-4).

Without Greene and Davis, GWS have no threat forward or back.

This is a very decent midfield core...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Melbourne are a seriously good side and will be hard to beat this year and probably for a few years yet. However I think our young players are on track to match them in the next season or two.
    Their hard running high confidence style is great to watch and they sometimes move the ball in handball waves that is almost Rugby like in its execution. They always seem to have someone ready and waiting for the next possession and some of the no look handpasses tonight were a sign of supreme confidence that a team mate would be on the receiving end of it.
    I think we are on track to have our team playing a similar style and it could be an interesting rivalry over the next few years.
    The Melbourne team is excellent at creating width on the ground and have excellent runners who create the overlap play. They have confidence in their contested ball and hence keep their width without getting sucked at the honeypot. And the they have excellent spine.
    For us to be close to them, we are going to need to lift our contested game and suck them in and then use our kicks to go over the next line of defence. Easier said then done.

I reckon we need another Mills in the middle and another McInerney type player for the run. I am hoping that at some stage the penny will drop for Stephens. Our list is well created to tick all positions but they just need to fall in place.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    The Melbourne team is excellent at creating width on the ground and have excellent runners who create the overlap play. They have confidence in their contested ball and hence keep their width without getting sucked at the honeypot. And the they have excellent spine.
    For us to be close to them, we are going to need to lift our contested game and suck them in and then use our kicks to go over the next line of defence. Easier said then done.

I reckon we need another Mills in the middle and another McInerney type player for the run. I am hoping that at some stage the penny will drop for Stephens. Our list is well created to tick all positions but they just need to fall in place.
    Wouldn’t we love another Mills he is the glue for our team in the middle and is just so consistent if the feedback from some posters regarding some of our recent draft selections is on the money hopefully help is on its way.
    The other key position that they have over us at the moment is big Maxie he has such a presence and I think his midfield wouldn’t swap him for anyone , he is probably the best ruckman running around at the moment.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Melbournes defensive system and set up is the best I’ve seen since Geelong during their premiership peak. They have such a good structure, everyone is clear on their role, their wingers work back exceptionally hard (and in concert with their high half forwards further up the ground) and they have the capacity to exit both patiently or quickly on turnover as the play demands. It’s what sets them up offensively, as much as the obvious talent they have through the middle of the ground.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast