Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games. Good Friday, mediocre Monday.

Senior Player
    With the Gericatrics losing today we are now third favourite according to some sources.
    Looking at the ladder and where the teams we have beaten sit makes me a little cautious about that assessment this early in the season.
    Don’t get me wrong I think we are one of the best teams in it this year and think top four is a realistic ambition but I would prefer that the rest of the competition ignore us.
    I am hoping we will put the Hawks back in their box and open up a break of a couple of games on the ladder.
    It’s an interesting round of footy next week with a couple of games which will impact on the ladder including ours.
    It will be a real test as to where Carlton are and if they can drop into WA and take the points from the Dockers at home the bandwagon will swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    This will be a tough game and we will need to play four solid quarters. Didn’t they towel us up last year? Hopefully we’ll bring our top intensity and pressure them and deny them the loose man stuff they like so much. Our lads should be rested and raring to go!
    We were coming off two short breaks last year when we played Hawthorn. And this year they have Gunston and Sicily back with excellent coaching by Sam. I reckon it would be great if we can win this one - not easy.
    Jai Newcombe will try and take out Mills. We need others to step up in the middle. They are a bit undermanned in the ruck so Ladhams is going to be vital for our chances.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I remember going into the Hawks game last year telling a friend who follows them that they’d win easily. We looked tired the week or so leading in (was it the week before we’d lucked a win against St Kilda?) and some of our young guys like Gulden, Campbell and Chad were out of the side after picking up inevitable injuries.

I think we’re in better shape but we will need to keep up the run we had last week. Hawthorn has their limits and will be up and down, but on their good weeks, Mitchell has them doing the basic non-negotiables of footy pretty well.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Interesting that we are 3rd favourite, yet 1000 miles away from winning a flag this year. The last 4 years have shown us, you can't win a flag based on perfect drafting alone. You need to go the big poach (Richmond: Prestia, lynch. Melbourne: may, lever.).
    We aren't a seriuos contender unless we bring in a big name. Probably a key forward to replace buddy.

Veterans List
    I would be trying to negate Tom Mitchell. I was at the game and he was dominant. Geelong paid him no respect and he was always on his own. Sicily was very good also as was Newcombe.

Veterans List
    Cannot believe that grub Cotchin only got a $2000 dollar fine for kicking Taylor Walker on the weekend.....sets a disgusting precedent. Walker's right when he said he'd get 4 weeks for the same and Toby Greene would get a season (well, maybe that was a little overboard) but I get exactly where he's coming from. Big name Victorian players get soft treatment from the frankly, pathetic and broken MRP. Needs an overhaul.....yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Cannot believe that grub Cotchin only got a $2000 dollar fine for kicking Taylor Walker on the weekend.....sets a disgusting precedent. Walker's right when he said he'd get 4 weeks for the same and Toby Greene would get a season (well, maybe that was a little overboard) but I get exactly where he's coming from. Big name Victorian players get soft treatment from the frankly, pathetic and broken MRP. Needs an overhaul.....yet again.
    Couldn't agree more Stevo. The MRP were constrained by their own rules, so should have gone straight to tribunal like greens umpire bump last year.

Cotchins always been a dirty sniper.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Interesting that we are 3rd favourite, yet 1000 miles away from winning a flag this year. The last 4 years have shown us, you can't win a flag based on perfect drafting alone. You need to go the big poach (Richmond: Prestia, lynch. Melbourne: may, lever.).
    We aren't a seriuos contender unless we bring in a big name. Probably a key forward to replace buddy.
    Paddy McCartin and Buddy are enough for this year, along with the development of the young cygnets throughout the season

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Are we 1000 miles away from winning a flag though?

I don't doubt how far out in front Melbourne are at the current point. But playing devil's advocate - if they have a bad run with injury at the wrong time of the year or whatever misfortune that brings them back to the field, are we not more likely then not to be in that next bunch of contenders? I would argue we are definitely in that mix.

I don't disagree we have some gaps to fill in the list - but starting to get towards that point now where we can look to fill those gaps, rather then as I think it was TB said that buying the big name and then trying to build a side around them that so many other clubs have unsuccessfully used as a way to try and rebuild the list.

And it might not be that we need a 'big name' - it could be that someone like McDonald becomes the beast and the main man up forward (like Max King seems to be at St Kilda), and what we need is that effective 2nd tier player to fill in the gaps (i.e. a very good player not a superstar). Not dissimilar to how a player like George Hewett is making a huge difference to Carlton by filling a key gap with a very good player, but not necessarily elite.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    All the talk on SEN today has been about the now "Descent" rule. The narrative has gone from a 50 metre penalty for verbal abuse to a much broader term of "Descent". So how do you describe or interpret descent. Someone raises their hands in frustration and it's descent. How is that disrespectful to an umpire? I saw Heeney standing on the mark and shaking his head. Is that now disrespectful? Is that now descent?

So a player raises his hands to his head because he makes a mistake and got a free against him. Is that now descent?

If a player either swears or carries on a treat towards an umpire then use the 50 metre penalty, but not for some small innocuous movement.

Once upon a time players were reported and rubbed out for verbal abuse.

The AFL says players knew the rules before the season. So what about the media and supporters who had no idea what was going on. Why are we, the people who keep the game alive, kept in the dark. Then there is the inconsistency over the first 5 rounds and within games.

This is taking the character out of the game and making it rather a sterile game.

Maybe player's shorts should have pockets so they can quickly put their hands in their pockets to prevent a 50 metre penalty. It wouldn't make any difference to the game because they are told to stand and allow their opponent to run off. They dare not move a fingernail.

Welcome Brad Scott, one of the greatest whingers of all time on the field and as a coach.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

So a player raises his hands to his head because he makes a mistake and got a free against him. Is that now descent?
    Nah, that has to be ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    All the talk on SEN today has been about the now "Descent" rule. The narrative has gone from a 50 metre penalty for verbal abuse to a much broader term of "Descent". So how do you describe or interpret descent. Someone raises their hands in frustration and it's descent. How is that disrespectful to an umpire? I saw Heeney standing on the mark and shaking his head. Is that now disrespectful? Is that now descent?

If a player either swears or carries on a treat towards an umpire then use the 50 metre penalty, but not for some small innocuous movement.

Once upon a time players were reported and rubbed out for verbal abuse.

The AFL says players knew the rules before the season. So what about the media and supporters who had no idea what was going on. Why are we, the people who keep the game alive, kept in the dark. Then there is the inconsistency over the first 5 rounds and within games.

This is taking the character out of the game and making it rather a sterile game.

Maybe player's shorts should have pockets so they can quickly put their hands in their pockets to prevent a 50 metre penalty. It wouldn't make any difference to the game because they are told to stand and allow their opponent to run off. They dare not move a fingernail.

Welcome Brad Scott, one of the greatest whingers of all time on the field and as a coach.
    Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the arse, but it’s dissent.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast