Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Match Thread

I have a favorite moment to add. About 3/4 of the way through the third quarter Gulden did something really strong and good (can’t remember exactly but it was probably just cleaning up somebody’s mess and forcing a throw in) anyway, as he ran back to position the camera caught him and he was ANGRY like blue steel. He was not going to stand for the crap we were serving up and he was taking charge. He’s our next captain.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    With the kick out situation, this is probably the only area where we miss Dawson. I think we have him well covered in other areas so it feels nice to think that is the only downside to not having him.

Having said that, Jakes kicking in is definitely not ideal. I'd like to see Campbell take this job.....then we won't miss Dawson at all.
    Tom McCartin makes at least one clanger turnover a game. Heath Grundy seemed to give away the compulsory holding free in front of goals early in many games. It is difficult being a back man, particularly close to goals. We don't seem to be doing the short kick out to the back pocket this year.

I agree that Lloyd's kick outs are not up to scratch and in most games he serves up some very ordinary kicks from goal. Even in general play he seems to take forever when he has to kick, and most times are high floating kicks that put our players under pressure.

Campbell should take all the kick outs from goal in future.

Where’s The Mongrel Punt ?
    Not out yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    According to the AFL app we concede an average of almost 2 goals a game from unforced defensive 50 turnovers this year which is the worst equal in the competition. That’s something that needs addressing as that could easily cost us in tightly contested games.
    Jake seems to be good for at least one goal a game however given the number of kick ins he takes the law of averages would suggest he is bound to have the odd turnover.
    Given that and how important that keeping possession in your defensive zone is should we be looking for him to maybe pass the baton on and if so who should it be ? Is Braeden the heir apparent or does Nick take on more of them? I like Nick receiving the ball further from our goals as he offers so much run and has a great kick and is usually very efficient with his disposals so that doesn’t hold as much appeal to me. Do we have another option to consider that isn’t obvious to me either already in the team or developing their skills in the reserves? Or is it the case that Jake is still the best man for the job ?
    Someone recently suggested using him on a wing and taking advantage of his foot skills delivering into the forward 50 which I like as an option moving forward.
    The last couple of years Lloyd frequently kicked short to Dawson or Rampe, whose more accurate and penetrating kicking got us quickly out of defence and often straight onto the attack. So far Lloyd has not taken the short option as much this season, but it might be time to reconsider if they want to persist with him doing the kick-ins.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Where’s The Mongrel Punt ?
    Not out yet ?
    Sydney v West Coast - The Big Questions - The Mongrel Punt

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    The last couple of years Lloyd frequently kicked short to Dawson or Rampe, whose more accurate and penetrating kicking got us quickly out of defence and often straight onto the attack. So far Lloyd has not taken the short option as much this season, but it might be time to reconsider if they want to persist with him doing the kick-ins.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Nice observation.

I'm certain John and the team are on it.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    A great write up. A lot of focus, rightfully, on our young ones. But I love how it’s pretty much taken for granted by close observers just how great Mills is these days. Touch wood with injuries, of course, but he will be AA this year.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

The thing that worried me about the Mongrel Punt was that in one article it highlighted West Australian Chad Warner and how poor the future looks for the WCE midfield.

Before I read the article I was thinking that just 5 games into the season I am convinced that Chad is an absolute gun inside mid, which of course surprises no one, and with Sheldrick in waiting, how good our CB WA dependent mids for the future are looking. I think Charlie Gardiner should come into the office on Tuesday and start working on a plan to make Chad a lifelong Swan, because it's easy to see that WCE will be coming after him, and maybe Sheldrick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The thing that worried me about the Mongrel Punt was that in one article it highlighted West Australian Chad Warner and how poor the future looks for the WCE midfield.

Before I read the article I was thinking that just 5 games into the season I am convinced that Chad is an absolute gun inside mid, which of course surprises no one, and with Sheldrick in waiting, how good our CB WA dependent mids for the future are looking. I think Charlie Gardiner should come into the office on Tuesday and start working on a plan to make Chad a lifelong Swan, because it's easy to see that WCE will be coming after him, and maybe Sheldrick as well.
    I just watched the afl.com video with Riley Beveridge and Kane Cornes where they point out Sydney’s young talent and then compare it to West Coast’s list. It is stark. West Coast could really bottom out. The Tim Kelly trade has hurt them badly. They have hardly any young talent top-end talent. In fact, it may be that bad that they forget about trading for players like Chad and Gus and just go to the draft for 3 or 4 years.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I just watched the afl.com video with Riley Beveridge and Kane Cornes where they point out Sydney’s young talent and then compare it to West Coast’s list. It is stark. West Coast could really bottom out. The Tim Kelly trade has hurt them badly. They have hardly any young talent top-end talent. In fact, it may be that bad that they forget about trading for players like Chad and Gus and just go to the draft for 3 or 4 years.
    What dont teams get these days . Build the talent core first THEN add the big recruits to fill the holes . How many teams have gone hard for a superstar without having the list in place to make it worthwhile !

We have our core - Heeney , Mills, Paps, Mccartin , Florent , Jmac, Blakey , Chad , Gulden , Campbell and Mcdonald .. it is so elite but it will need more . I reckon we 'll need another key fwd (dont rate Mclean or Amartey much ) and maybe another gun mid (have to see Roberts, Gus play games first) Those will be what we trade in and add to the team so we capitalise on it at the right time , unlike the Weasels !

Thank you Liz .