Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Match Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The thing that worried me about the Mongrel Punt was that in one article it highlighted West Australian Chad Warner and how poor the future looks for the WCE midfield.

Before I read the article I was thinking that just 5 games into the season I am convinced that Chad is an absolute gun inside mid, which of course surprises no one, and with Sheldrick in waiting, how good our CB WA dependent mids for the future are looking. I think Charlie Gardiner should come into the office on Tuesday and start working on a plan to make Chad a lifelong Swan, because it's easy to see that WCE will be coming after him, and maybe Sheldrick as well.
    Chad looks like he's loving it and he's always said so. He also seems a very loyal lad and a dude who appreciates the experience over the cash.

Flight risk rating (out of 10): 1.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    We have our core - Heeney , Mills, Paps, Mccartin , Florent , Jmac, Blakey , Chad , Gulden , Campbell and Mcdonald .. it is so elite but it will need more . I reckon we 'll need another key fwd (dont rate Mclean or Amartey much )
    I personally don’t mind McLean.

He won’t be your marquee forward (that’s hopefully Logan’s role). But, for me, McLean is your moneyball second KPP forward. Nothing flashy but he does have a good tank - always up there in terms of ground covered and spends little time on the bench. Bare minimum creates a contest for the opportunistic small forward but has fairly good hands (sure, one boo boo on Friday, but that’s atypical). He’s a pretty decent kick for distance and generally beautifully straight. And he can pinch hit in the ruck (handy if a genuine ruckman goes down mid game). And then there’s the Big Macs nick name. On top of that, he won’t cost a fortune as he’s not a flashy forward (hence the moneyball tag) and he seems to like staying at Sydney (kind of like a home brand version Sam Reid, but who is more robust).

But that’s just me

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Chad looks like he's loving it and he's always said so. He also seems a very loyal lad and a dude who appreciates the experience over the cash.

Flight risk rating (out of 10): 1.
    Jordan looks like he's loving it and he's always said so. He also seems a very loyal lad and a dude who appreciates the experience over the cash.

Flight risk rating (out of 10): 10.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Jordan looks like he's loving it and he's always said so. He also seems a very loyal lad and a dude who appreciates the experience over the cash.

Flight risk rating (out of 10): 10.
    Come on, Ludwig - they are clearly pretty different personalities. Dawson always seemed the greatest flight risk on the list (like Stephens, now - maybe it's an Adelaide thing).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I thought it was a really solid game from two of the forgotten Swans in Reid and Ronke.

I’m not that keen on Reid as a forward mainly because I think his goal kicking let’s him down but he’s always been a good mark and covers the ground really well.

Ronke I thought was a near certainty to be delisted last year, but seems like he could end up in the best 22 after all.

Likewise, encouraging to see hat Ladhams could bring albeit against substandard opposition.

And we ended up winning the free kicks against WC in Perth. When was the last time that happened?
    Last century!

I too thought Ronke was a certain delist last year but the club knows things we don't, he looked useful on Friday night, good luck to him.

If Ladhams keep playing that way then I'm sure we'll be going the two ruckmen model when Hickey is fit again.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I personally don’t mind McLean.

He won’t be your marquee forward (that’s hopefully Logan’s role). But, for me, McLean is your moneyball second KPP forward. Nothing flashy but he does have a good tank - always up there in terms of ground covered and spends little time on the bench. Bare minimum creates a contest for the opportunistic small forward but has fairly good hands (sure, one boo boo on Friday, but that’s atypical). He’s a pretty decent kick for distance and generally beautifully straight. And he can pinch hit in the ruck (handy if a genuine ruckman goes down mid game). And then there’s the Big Macs nick name. On top of that, he won’t cost a fortune as he’s not a flashy forward (hence the moneyball tag) and he seems to like staying at Sydney (kind of like a home brand version Sam Reid, but who is more robust).

But that’s just me
    I tend to agree that in an ideal world we have a better long term partner for Logan (and I also think we need a third quality key defender given we’d be stretched thin once Ramps retires or if one of the McCartins went down). I hope it’s a drafting and trading priority. Given our emerging midfield two quality forwards to work to will make them lethal.

But, good clubs have players like Hayden on their list. He’s fringe 22 and depth, but he works hard, plays a role, seems highly coachable and does a few things well - which you’ve identified. He’s got his limits and will never be a superstar, but I like him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Wanted to give a shout out to Pat McCartin. He’s been superb for the Swans and has significantly strengthed the spine.

Like Blakey, I love seeing a player blossom when the coaches find the player a position where they can shine.

I would love to see the coaches give Buddy a run off half back when we are 50 points up in a game. Just to see what he does. Buddy may be brilliant off half back and play like a Michael Tuck until he’s 40.

Why not have a look?

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I tend to agree that in an ideal world we have a better long term partner for Logan (and I also think we need a third quality key defender given we’d be stretched thin once Ramps retires or if one of the McCartins went down). I hope it’s a drafting and trading priority. Given our emerging midfield two quality forwards to work to will make them lethal.

But, good clubs have players like Hayden on their list. He’s fringe 22 and depth, but he works hard, plays a role, seems highly coachable and does a few things well - which you’ve identified. He’s got his limits and will never be a superstar, but I like him.
    Does young Hayden not normally play on the main interceptor to take them away from the play and/or make them accountable?

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    The you tube video "The round so Far" Said we can go all the way and then showed a list of Players are under 26. The list was quite impressive. Still find it hard to believe that Gulden is only 19 and Warner only 20.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I agree that Lloyd's kick outs are not up to scratch and in most games he serves up some very ordinary kicks from goal. Even in general play he seems to take forever when he has to kick, and most times are high floating kicks that put our players under pressure.
    Campbell should take all the kick outs from goal in future.
    Agreed, if Campbell is going to play down back and can handle the preassure of taking the kick ins - he should do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    If Ladhams continues his form they will both play. 2 dominant rucks around the ground are invaluable. A tall forward will need to make way.
    Nice to hear Nico, I think the tide may be turning slightly on the 2 ruckman debate.
    Amongst the football media, Gawn/Jackson (and Marshall/Ryder) seem to be demonstrating the potentiality of 2 rucks to those that have forgotten.
    As a card carrying member of the Paul-Roos-2-Rucks school of thought, I'm a bit over the you-only-need-one-ruckman chorus - maybe the double ruck critics will make like Ludwig Leichhardt and disappear for a bit.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 18th April 2022 at 07:25 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    reckon we might have the coleman medalist. Lloyd mustbe winning todate, the number of goals he gives away is annoying.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    The you tube video "The round so Far" Said we can go all the way and then showed a list of Players are under 26. The list was quite impressive. Still find it hard to believe that Gulden is only 19 and Warner only 20.
    Yes, they're @@@@ing gems.