Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games. Good Friday, mediocre Monday.

Round 5: the other games. Good Friday, mediocre Monday.

Didn't seem all that long ago, when playing games on Good Friday was definitely not on, now we have two games. The afternoon game is the Kangaroos v Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are short priced favourites, but I'm not really sure if that's justified? I mean, both teams are only on four points and the Roos were pretty good against us last week, while the Dogs were ordinary against the Tigers. So, here's hoping. That's followed by our game in Perth against the Eagles.

It also didn't seem that long ago, that the clash of the Hawks and the Cats, was always a blockbuster. Both teams were invariably highly ranked, and if not, there was always the interest of whether the Kennett curse was going to last for another season. Now their clash on Monday is a bit meh to me. There's some sort of vague interest, if the aging Cats can keep their tenuous grip on the eight, or whether the plucky Hawks can add another surprise win, but really, I don't care either way.

Speaking of a tenuous grip on the eight, Collingwood comes into tonight's game against the Lions in eighth place. I can't see that lasting past Sunday.
    Actually, looking at the percentages, it probably won't last past tonight.

The Saturday games are Saints v Suns, Crows v Tigers and Demons v Giants. With the Giants at 1/3, I think the last thing they need is to face the Melbourne juggernaut. I suppose Giants fans will be consoling themselves with the thought that Toby Greene should return next week? And at 1/4, there is a chance that Toby will be the messiah. But rather than resurrect their season, I think it's more likely that he'll get himself another lengthy suspension. I mean, he's almost 30 and he still wouldn't be able to join a club with a no dickheads policy.

The first Sunday match is the Blues hosting the Power. Which is a real toss up. Like, which would you prefer: the wheels continuing to fall off Carlton or Port at 0/5?

The Sunday afternoon game is the Bombers and the Dockers at the MCG. If both teams show up, this one could be fun to watch.

And of course, the round finishes on Monday, with the aforementioned Cats v Hawks.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Best of all - and I looked - Stevic is umpiring the Giants game. How good would it be for them to resume hostilities, Toby to give him the full-on clip he deserves (because let's face it, he went a bit gentle last time), and Toby to get scrubbed for the season. Like, talk about win-win.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Best of all - and I looked - Stevic is umpiring the Giants game. How good would it be for them to resume hostilities, Toby to give him the full-on clip he deserves (because let's face it, he went a bit gentle last time), and Toby to get scrubbed for the season. Like, talk about win-win.
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‚

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks again for starting the "other games" threads, deja. I enjoy venting about other teams.

Hope the Lions smash the Pies tonight.

Major interest in Kangaroos/Bulldogs is who will win the free kick count. We know the umps just love the Poodles but the Roos do alright with them as well.

Hoping for wins to the Suns, Crows, Dees, Power and Freo although all of those except the Dees would be a surprise.

And hope the Cats continue the Hawks troubles on Monday.

GO BLOODS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Thanks again for starting the "other games" threads, deja. I enjoy venting about other teams.

Hope the Lions smash the Pies tonight.

Major interest in Kangaroos/Bulldogs is who will win the free kick count. We know the umps just love the Poodles but the Roos do alright with them as well.

Hoping for wins to the Suns, Crows, Dees, Power and Freo although all of those except the Dees would be a surprise.

And hope the Cats continue the Hawks troubles on Monday.

GO BLOODS!
    Ta.
    I'm also hoping that the good Suns show up, but I've learnt not to be too optimistic. All their games are on free to air, up here, and I've often tuned in, thinking their young stars are going to run rings around more vaunted opposition, but then they put in a totally insipid performance. However, just when I'm about to give up on watching their games, they play the sort of stylish football, that has me tuning in for another few games.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Pretty sure he's still got one more week to serve. So unless Toby runs off the bench (where he might be sitting in a "coaching role")...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Pretty sure he's still got one more week to serve. So unless Toby runs off the bench (where he might be sitting in a "coaching role")...
    "No, I just ran off the bench to assist our injured player and I really didn't see the little @@@@...er...I'm sorry...I really didn't see Mr Stevic. So, any contact was purely accidental".

Veterans List
    Many games this weekend find me conflicted.

Port 0/5 vs two losses in a row for the Blues, hmmm

Cows vs Richmond, maybe a draw might suit me best here

Suns, I really want them to finally show some fight to go with their talent and I'm already getting fed up with some commentators suggesting Saints could be a contender - really?

Happy for the Cats to beat (up) Hawthorn whose wheels suddenly fell off after R2, nice :-)

Dees should cause more pain for GW$, Toby back next week

and there's some other games apparently

Veteran Site Admin
    I see Aliir is back for Port this weekend. I thought the initial prognosis had him out for half the season?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Happy for the Cats to beat (up) Hawthorn whose wheels suddenly fell off after R2, nice :-)
    Remember that we play Hawthorn next weekend. So do we want them completely bashed up, with all confidence evaporated. Or does that pose a risk of a Roos-style rebound against us next week?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I see Aliir is back for Port this weekend. I thought the initial prognosis had him out for half the season?
    In the media here in Adelaide, Aliir was hoping he'd only miss 2-3 weeks, so surprisingly he was spot on, missed three games.

Was always worried about the Norf game after the bollicking they got, we escaped with a win.

Hawks copped the roast this week so they should turn up the pressure to redeem themselves. I don't want us dropping another game to them, losses last year to teams like GC and hawks ultimately cost us a top four spot.

Senior Player
    Fox commentators (BT, Carey and Richardson) making comments about free kicks in the Kangaroos and Bulldogs game... "dubious", "embarrassing" etc. Guess who were the recipients?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast