Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Round 6 pre-match thread - vs Hawthorn, Monday 25 April, University of Tasmania Oval

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I’ve got eyes on Dene Cox in an Inner West Pub.
    You sure you don't mean "making" eyes with Dean Cox?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I'm a bit uneasy about the attitude/treatment of Kennedy and Buddy.
    Kennedy's been pushed out of the midfield, and shunted around trying to find his best position (other than he one he excelled at) because we need to move on - will Buddy ever face something similar?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Kennedy's been pushed out of the midfield, and shunted around trying to find his best position (other than he one he excelled at) because we need to move on - will Buddy ever face something similar?
    It is hard to watch a champion of our club ending his career like this. I suspect it has come to no shock for him though as I trust Horse and co have been very honest when they did the contract extension last year, exit interviews, pre season, and now at selection. An injury to any one of Parker, Mills, and probably Rowbottom and JPK would be back in the guts.

I think Buddy would be a different case simply because we don’t have the same talent pushing him out of the forward line. If Buddy continues next year, he will be taking game time off Amartey/McLean who are good footballers but not quite the same talent as our emerging midfield group.

It has to be about the team. I’m sure Joey would want to put the team first, as a true champion. At the same time, of course he would love to play and make his contribution and I’m sure he and Horse have talked this through. I still think that med sub is the way to go at the moment and he will come in for a full game in case of injury to one of our mids.

Regular in the Side
    Do they want to keep Joey as Med Sub for the whole season and let him have an option to play his 300th game as a starting 18 at the end of the season ? ( He has now played 284 after Round 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I think the older guys know where they sit on a clubs pecking order and need to make a decision on what’s best for their family.

I think Kennedy was a strong candidate for a two year deal at another developing club at the end of 2021. If he was available, I’m sure the GC or North would have been interested in a player of his experience, contested ability and leadership.

Kennedy could see in 2021 that Rowbottom, Chad, J-Mac and Florent were getting more midfield minutes. Papley was doing a lot of Centre Square ball ups and Mills and Parker were playing significant midfield minutes.

He may have been wiser to wait until after the season before he signed that 1 year deal mid way through 2021.

I think by not exploring the two year deal at another developing club like a Jordan Lewis, Daniel Cross, Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell that he may have cost himself an AFL year.

With Buddy, he’s still better than most key forwards in the competition and certainly better than other key forwards on our list. He would still be better than Logan in 2023.

I would personally like The Swans to switch Buddy to half back in 2023 if Lloyd were to
    depart. A switch may invigorate his mind and teach the team to not kick to the one focal point up forward.

I’m personally all about attack and would love to see Buddy and Blakey running off Half back. Franklin is a brilliant field kick and would set up many attacking bursts whilst handling the 4th tall. He could even sneak forward for some running 55m bombs.

Yes, it would rattle other teams having Buddy in a roaming role which seems to be to his liking .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Do they want to keep Joey as Med Sub for the whole season and let him have an option to play his 300th game as a starting 18 at the end of the season ? ( He has now played 284 after Round 5)
    It's an interesting thought. But I'd assume that Joey would have to play a full game at some level at least from time to time, to stay match fit.

Absolutely zero chance after 1000+ goals and 320+ games that he becomes a half back. It’s certainly thinking outside the square but it’s not going to happen.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    It has to be about the team. I’m sure Joey would want to put the team first, as a true champion. At the same time, of course he would love to play and make his contribution and I’m sure he and Horse have talked this through. I still think that med sub is the way to go at the moment and he will come in for a full game in case of injury to one of our mids.
    I think he did when he stepped down as captain.....he possibly saw the writing on the wall.....or maybe the club showed him. I think we will see him back in the middle at some point of the season, either through injury to others or as a last chance if he doesn't find his spot elsewhere on the field. If that fails, unfortunately he's the new Ryan O'Keefe......which would be sad.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=stevoswan;843044]I think he did when he stepped down as captain.....he possibly saw the writing on the wall.....or maybe the club showed him. I think we will see him back in the middle at some point of the season, either through injury to others or as a last chance if he doesn't find his spot elsewhere on the field. If that fails, unfortunately he's the new Ryan O'Keefe......which would be sad.[/QUOTE
    Ryan doesn't stand alone with the sudden loss of form.
    Tadgh went downhill almost overnight.
    One day dominant ...next week almost a liability, and never got it back.
    Rooster to feather duster is not limited to the most highly skilled...it can happen to almost anyone.
    Sadly.
    Remember the retired players / celebrities games we used to have every year?
    Some guys retired only a couple of years were battling to hold easy unopposed chest marks, couldnt kick.
    This is a HIGHLY skilled game at this level.

Veterans List
    Excellent article on JPK and the role he can play for us in the finals bu Mick McGuane in the Oz. Assume it's behind paywall so won't bother with link but in essence he noted that his experience could be golden when/if finals beckon for this young Swans team.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast