Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

The round kicks off tonight with the Giants hosting the Saints in Canberra. With the return of Toby Greene, Giants fans will be hoping that he can lead them to a resurgence. While many other AFL fans, will be hoping that his temper leads him to another suspension. Actually, it's probably a bit of a shame that Zak Jones hasn't been picked by the Saints, as it could have been an interesting side show. Put them on each other, and take bets on who gets suspended the longest. Anyway, if the Giants lose, they'll be 1/5. Which is somewhere between the point of no return and 'nah, it's cool, we can still make the eight'.

The first game on Saturday is the Bulldogs* v the Crows. It's probably time that we started to get behind the guy who used to play for us. You know, the blonde guy that used to play on the half back flank? What's his name again? Oh, that's right; Matthew Nicks.

The twilight game is the Power hosting the Eagles. You'd think that Port would be able to get their first win of the season, against whatever random selection of players the Eagles come up with this week. But do will we really want that? I mean, it would be quite the spectacle if Port lost. Pubs emptying all over Adelaide, as fans make their way to Alberton, beating drums, carrying torches, holding effigies of Ken Hinkley and chanting things that news reports would have a fair amount of trouble editing out.

The night match sees the Blues travelling to Perth to take on the Dockers. Should be an interesting clash. At least by the end of it, we might have a slightly better idea of who's a contender and who's a pretender.

The first Sunday game is Kangaroos v Cats. It'd be nice if there was an upset, but I don't think that I'll be hopefully tuning in.

However, in the next game, I will be tuning in and hoping that the Suns do us a favour by beating the Lions. Don't really like the chances, but you never know. God, I hope I'm not developing an affection for Gold Coast sporting teams. I mean, is inexplicable, self-harming behaviour like that, an early warning sign of dementia?

The MCG is the venue for the Saturday night game; Tigers v Demons. Is it time to start hoping that a few wheels begin to fall of the Demons juggernaut? Or can it wait until they put the Tigers into more trouble?

Being ANZAC Day, there's two games on Monday. Firstly, us against the Hawks in Launceston. Then to close out the round, it's the main ANZAC game between the Magpies and the Bombers. Which seems a fitting way to end the round.

*I originally came up with the typo of 'Bulldongs'. I was so tempted to leave it.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thoroughly dislike St.Kilda for a number of reasons dating back a number of decades so will be barracking for the Giants.
    Would love to see the Crows put the Poodles back in their place but it's hard to see that happening.
    Ambivalent about Power/Eagles.
    Would love to see the Dockers beat the Blues.
    Hope the Cats beat Norf.
    Ambivalent about the Q clash.
    Go Dees!
    Ambivalent about the result of Pies/Bombers but love the occasion and the way it's celebrated.

GO BLOODS!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    A brilliant write up as always.

Weirdly looking forward to tonight’s game. I’ve said before on here that you give me one young player in comp to nick it is Ben King. Max ain’t far behind. The pair of them are going to absolutely terrorise oppositions for the next decade.

And go Gold Coast - for the sake of your sanity.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

The Giants are playing half hearted football .
    Too many turnovers, fumbles and dropped marks .They used to play with much greater intensity and flair.
    Toby not having a big influence .

Round 6: the other games. ANZAC round.

Giants hanging in there.
    Commentary is aggravating, apart from Daisy Pearce. “JB” is more annoying than BT, with his pseudo-bonhomie style.
    Last edited by Kafka's Ghost; 22nd April 2022 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Giants are playing half hearted football .
    Too many turnovers, fumbles and dropped marks .They used to play with much greater intensity and flair.
    Toby not having a big influence .
    I only saw the second half, but it seemed to me that the Giants played rope a dope on themselves. With St Kilda having one ruckman out of the game and the other hobbling badly, it looked like the Giants tactics were to bomb it long to a contest, thinking that if they didn't take a mark, then they should be able to move it on, by winning a clearance from an ensuing ruck. They seemed quite uninterested in running to space and finding a loose player.

Which played into the hands of the Saints. Because of the predictability of the Giants' ball movement, the Saints were able to further crowd the contests. Which enabled players like Crouch and especially Steele to come to the fore. And when the Saints got the ball, they showed more desire to spread the ball and enough flair to score the occasional goal. Which was enough to beat a Giants side, that only partially used the talent at their disposal.

I didn't see the match but that sounds like a succinct and worthy analysis.

Encouraging to see the Crows matching it with the Poodles at half time. Let's hope Nicksy can get them over the line!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    A throw, a HTB non call and a non call on holding all favour the Dogs late in third leading to a goal. Just absurd
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    A throw, a HTB non call and a non call on holding all favour the Dogs late in third leading to a goal. Just absurd
    Surprising to note that, at 3/4 time, the Poodles lead the free kick count 20 -8.

C'mon Crows!!

Veterans List
    Bit conflicted with today's game....Crows 10 pts up, 10 minutes into the last.

Who am I kidding? Go Crows!!

Veterans List
    The continual Vic friendly umpiring, especially where the Fairypups are concerned, has to stop. 22 to 9 well into the last. We are back to 2016 levels of bias.

Dogs are now in front......watch the umps protect their lead now. Will we hear any Victorian journo question the free kick count if the Dogs win a close one with more than double the oppositions frees? Nah......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast