Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SYDNEY MEDIA

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    I know what you meant Blood just being cheeky ! Winter sport in Australia is the toughest market to crack due to 4 sports ( 5 if you count emerging Netball ) vying for the corporate dollar. Most countries have 2 max. AFL have done a fantastic job of nationalising the code but lack of exposure in Sydney is akin to what is happening in Melbourne with League. I agree that there is room for both codes but to get back to the original point the well heled establishment in both Sydney & Melbourne are still having their influence.
    I suspect Australia's small population is the main reason there aren't enough fans and money to go around.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Who reads old media these days anyway? Certainly, not many under 30.

I'm hopeful of the 10/paramount+ deal for the next TV rights.
    I know what you mean Barry, the way that Nine Publishing are set up online there is essentially no difference between AFL at the SMH versus AFL at The Age. I wonder how many people subscribe to print copies these days? And then there are those copies lying around in cafes.

I know very little about Paramount+ but if a new deal means the end of the C7 commentary team (ladies excepted of course), I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I know what you mean Barry, the way that Nine Publishing are set up online there is essentially no difference between AFL at the SMH versus AFL at The Age. I wonder how many people subscribe to print copies these days? And then there are those copies lying around in cafes.

I know very little about Paramount+ but if a new deal means the end of the C7 commentary team (ladies excepted of course), I am all for it.
    Imagine a world without Ling, Darcy and if foxtel lose it, Dwayne Russell.

The upside is huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    What media do you read, Barry?
    I haven't read print media for years now. And I certainly don't go to smh.com.au or news.com.au for footy news (of any code)

I haven't read print media for years now. And I certainly don't go to smh.com.au or news.com.au for footy news (of any code)
    Yes, but what DO you read?

Regular in the Side
    another blow for us supporters who use fox. more money for us to pay. soccer has done the same and i know it has lost viewers.

Yes, but what DO you read?
    RWO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    another blow for us supporters who use fox. more money for us to pay. soccer has done the same and i know it has lost viewers.
    Save your money and don't subscribe to fox.

The trend is to more fragmented subscription services, away from the pay TV monopolies.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    It’s the only reason I still have fox and every offseason I go to cancel and they find a way to make it cheaper. It is still more expensive then other streaming options and I would happily pay the current Paramount monthly price to watch it as it would save me $20 pm.
    I suspect Fox and Seven won’t give the rights up without a fight however.

RWO
    So when someone links to an article in the old media, do you read it?

So when someone links to an article in the old media, do you read it?
    You being a bit pedantic. Remember the OP said "Nothing has changed in the 40 years since the Swans came to town. The Sydney Herald on Saturday and Sunday had zero articles on AFL. No idea if the Tele had anything.".
    That implies you read Sydney papers, and see no AFL, which is old-media dictating what you can and cant read. An outdated model.

I actually get most of my news from aggregators such as Google News which pulls articles from various sources, and I can delete sources I dont particularly trust.
    Google news is now not dictating what I should read or find interesting, it is I who is directing it to find stories I am interested in. Eg. AFL. So I dont see any "zero articles on AFL" because there are always articles on AFL from "the age" through to "mongrel punt" in my "sports" section.

RWO does the same, it aggregates news items even more specifically, to the swans. I often dont need to read them, because the RWO thread summarises the interesting bits anyway.

Now, not to say I dont ever venture over to www . smh . com. au or switch on the TV news, but I do only for interests sake to see what the poor bastards stuck on those platforms are being feed that day.

And in a round about way, what I'm saying to the OP is that it doesnt matter whats in the print media, because its dying a slow death, already irrelevant to under 30's.

You being a bit pedantic. Remember the OP said "Nothing has changed in the 40 years since the Swans came to town. The Sydney Herald on Saturday and Sunday had zero articles on AFL. No idea if the Tele had anything.".
    That implies you read Sydney papers, and see no AFL, which is old-media dictating what you can and cant read. An outdated model.

I actually get most of my news from aggregators such as Google News which pulls articles from various sources, and I can delete sources I dont particularly trust.
    Google news is now not dictating what I should read or find interesting, it is I who is directing it to find stories I am interested in. Eg. AFL. So I dont see any "zero articles on AFL" because there are always articles on AFL from "the age" through to "mongrel punt" in my "sports" section.

RWO does the same, it aggregates news items even more specifically, to the swans. I often dont need to read them, because the RWO thread summarises the interesting bits anyway.

Now, not to say I dont ever venture over to www . smh . com. au or switch on the TV news, but I do only for interests sake to see what the poor bastards stuck on those platforms are being feed that day.

And in a round about way, what I'm saying to the OP is that it doesnt matter whats in the print media, because its dying a slow death, already irrelevant to under 30's.
    Pretty much the answer I was looking for, thanks. I do much the same.

On the topic of subscription TV etc., Foxtel cost $45 plus to subscribe. Kayo is a lot cheaper and essentially has all of the AFL coverage of Foxtel anyway. That is why so many have migrated from Foxtel to Kayo. For those of you in Sydney who feel you miss out, I suggest you download the free SEN app. You can listen to the Victorian feed there which is wall to wall AFL coverage. I live in Melbourne and subscribe to the Herald Sun and The Age digital versions. I don't think there would be anything stopping people up in Sydney subscribing to either of these should they wish.

A word of warning about the potential move to streaming services. People who follow soccer in Australia are now subject to paying various streaming services, especially if they want to watch English or European leagues. For example, the English Premier League is on Optus Sports, the English League Cup and FA Cup games on Foxtel and the Champions and Europa League games on Stan. To subscribe to all three involves quite a hefty layout! Is this what we want for the future with AFL? Let's be careful what we wish for.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I'd go as far as under 40's. I can't understand why anyone would buy a newspaper these days?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast