Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SYDNEY MEDIA

SYDNEY MEDIA

Nothing has changed in the 40 years since the Swans came to town. The Sydney Herald on Saturday and Sunday had zero articles on AFL. No idea if the Tele had anything.
    Sure, it's an NRL town and the supposed interest from the readers dictates the , in my view, excessive coverage. BUT, to have two pages each day on Rugby Union where the viewing audience, followers and players would be lucky to fill into a life boat from the Manly Ferry , is obscene.
    Why doesn't the media departments (if they excist) at the SWANS and the GIANTS, get off their bums and start providing input to the Sydney media and not just 'bar up' when Buddy breaks a record or when Longmire cracks a smile?????.
    OK, the AFL journos must have to write the cooking section, Dorothy Dix, obituaries and pour the tea too , but with 633,000 viewers for the Swans/Cats game, you'd think the media would really want to suck up to the AFL supporters in Sydney and Brisbane.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The thing that surprised me when I used to visit Melbourne on a weekly basis was how much media attention was given to the Storm and the NRL in general.
    In Sydney the opposite is emphatically not true. As you say, Union gets far more attention than AFL in the SMH, the AFL was the first section of the SMH sports secion to get cut as the page-count of the paper dropped. Last time I bought a SMH, 40% of the paper was Harvey Norman advertising.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We also get the SMH and having come back to Sydney (actually the Costa Lantana) we were also surprised to discover a pile of attention to a game that on an average day manages to round up about 10% of what we get at the SCG.
    Of course now the SMH is owned by Channel 9 who have minimal interest in AFL.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by redunderthebed View Post
    Nothing has changed in the 40 years since the Swans came to town. The Sydney Herald on Saturday and Sunday had zero articles on AFL. No idea if the Tele had anything.
    Sure, it's an NRL town and the supposed interest from the readers dictates the , in my view, excessive coverage. BUT, to have two pages each day on Rugby Union where the viewing audience, followers and players would be lucky to fill into a life boat from the Manly Ferry , is obscene.
    Why doesn't the media departments (if they excist) at the SWANS and the GIANTS, get off their bums and start providing input to the Sydney media and not just 'bar up' when Buddy breaks a record or when Longmire cracks a smile?????.
    OK, the AFL journos must have to write the cooking section, Dorothy Dix, obituaries and pour the tea too , but with 633,000 viewers for the Swans/Cats game, you'd think the media would really want to suck up to the AFL supporters in Sydney and Brisbane.
    I also noticed that.
    In fact, I had doubts and went back and rechecked at the time, cos I couldn't quite believe it.
    Granted we've never been the SMH's love child, but since the ownership change , if it doesn't involve Bud, any Swans' news is ignored.
    Big media does what big media wants, but I would have thought the commercial realities of the comparitive numbers following RU and AFL would dawn on the financial decision makers at the Herald.
    Old school tie is still a big deal here in the sporting codes, and may contribute.
    We'll be the King of the Kids in September if we continue on our current trajectory, and the Herald will be all over us.
    Can't comment on Tele coverage.
    Nothing Murdoch crosses my threshold.

Veterans List
    On Footy Classified last week they showed footage from channel 9 news in Sydney reporting on Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir. The presenter called him John Longmuir and the writing on the screen called him Justin Longmire!

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    We also get the SMH and having come back to Sydney (actually the Costa Lantana) we were also surprised to discover a pile of attention to a game that on an average day manages to round up about 10% of what we get at the SCG.
    Of course now the SMH is owned by Channel 9 who have minimal interest in AFL.
    Since Channel 9 is the NRL broadcaster, that minimal interest has probably progressed to antipathy.

Senior Player
    Yes, coverage in the SMH (paper version) this season is close to nothing. But who reads that anyway? I'm pretty sure we are the only
    people in our street that get it delivered every day. There is a bit more coverage in the online version. I think with the SMH it depends
    on whether there is anyone working there that is actually interested in footy and wants to cover it. Awhile back there was a guy
    named Richard Hinds who wrote a fair bit about footy for the SMH. I'd imagine the SMH would be running on a shoestring these
    days so maybe there is no money to pay anyone. That's just a reflection of the changing media landscape though.
    I am in the US currently and unless it's a really big city (LA, Chicago, NY) the local city papers are just as pithy here as the SMH is
    these days. You need a ten million plus population in the city and/or be owned by a billionaire to be able to publish a paper that
    resembles anything like a paper of twenty or thirty years ago.

I also laugh at the coverage Union gets in the Herald. The game itself has gone to crap in Australia and crowds are down massively and TV ratings as well but one can only guess the management of the media in general in Sydney come from private schools so union is more a business networking tool than a game ? They have two that write on AFL , a bloke from Melbourne ? and Andrew Yu ( ? ) who writes as if it is a chore and without any insight whatsoever. I am a Red & White NRL fan as well and a lot of my NRL mates also at least watch on TV every Swans game but never watch Super what every number it is now, union. I would love at least an article a day as the Swans deserve it but the fact that 90% of Swans players can live privately & freely in Sydney has and continues to be a massive bonus & also incentive for prospective interstate recruitment in escaping their fishbowl existence.

Yes, Rugby Union is the go-to sport for Sydney corporate. They fondly reminisce about days gone when they were a hero at the Scotts/Riverview punch up(sorry, game) while lunching with similar types at the Australia Club.
    Nowadays these 'high rollers' struggle to name ONE player in the Wallabies. And their kids are more interested in AFL.
    Mind you, in the Melbourne corporate world, they have the same situation with AFL.
    The main difference is that Rugby is dead and never likely to be resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by redunderthebed View Post
    Yes, Rugby Union is the go-to sport for Sydney corporate. They fondly reminisce about days gone when they were a hero at the Scotts/Riverview punch up(sorry, game) while lunching with similar types at the Australia Club.
    Nowadays these 'high rollers' struggle to name ONE player in the Wallabies. And their kids are more interested in AFL.
    Mind you, in the Melbourne corporate world, they have the same situation with AFL.
    The main difference is that Rugby is dead and never likely to be resurrected.
    Speaking very much as an outsider to both rugby codes, I have to say that union in particular does not have much intrinsic appeal as a spectacle. I watched a game in Sydney a few years ago, with an open mind, and couldn't believe how little happened for what seemed an interminable amount of time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Speaking very much as an outsider to both rugby codes, I have to say that union in particular does not have much intrinsic appeal as a spectacle. I watched a game in Sydney a few years ago, with an open mind, and couldn't believe how little happened for what seemed an interminable amount of time.
    I add this as a comment not a judgement.
    When I moved to Sydney from Melbourne in the mid 60s, I thought , as a footy tragic, I'd better at least see what RL looked like live.
    Went out to the SCG one sunny afternoon, sat on grass where O'Reilly stand is now.
    Easts v Wests.
    80 minutes I'll never get back.
    So different to what I was brought up on and appeared slow, dull and lifeless.
    First and last live game.
    But have developed a minor tv interest in the Storm, so not a mindless denier.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I add this as a comment not a judgement.
    When I moved to Sydney from Melbourne in the mid 60s, I thought , as a footy tragic, I'd better at least see what RL looked like live.
    Went out to the SCG one sunny afternoon, sat on grass where O'Reilly stand is now.
    Easts v Wests.
    80 minutes I'll never get back.
    So different to what I was brought up on and appeared slow, dull and lifeless.
    First and last live game.
    But have developed a minor tv interest in the Storm, so not a mindless denier.
    I'm pretty much the same.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast