Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Rd 6 vs Hawthorn @ Launceston - Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I watched the replay today.

I thought Lloyd and Rampe played good games. Rowbottom was good. He did 2 kicking turnovers in the last quarter but both times he was under extreme pressure, otherwise his pressure at the contest was excellent.

Logan McDonald will be a star. His work up and down the ground was very good and his desperate tackle on Mitchell to prevent a goal was a highlight. He just knows where to run and tackle and has very good vision when kicking.

Ben Ronke is a bonus. His front and centre work at marking contests was so good and his clean pick ups and ball control are elite. He sat off the contest by a couple of metres and was there to take the handball.

The combination of Mills and Warner playing between the arcs gives us quality options across the centre. Warner is becoming a ball magnet and apart from a couple of mistakes he just got better as the game went on.

I have noticed in most games that games seem to be played on one side of the ground. I went to the Sunday night game and Melbourne were very good at having players run to the fat side to break up the game. For us Jmac seems to be that player. I couldn't believe how much space he had on his own wide out.
    Good stuff, Nico. Agree with everything.

I only watch a replay of the 4th quarter, but will try to get in the rest of the game this week. I'm particularly intrigued about Florent's 9 disposals, which went along with 307 metres gained. That's a lot of metres for 9 disposal. His goal came by way of running down the fat side. Maybe that was his role for the game and serves a purpose, even if he's not often used. He made a good defensive played to save a goal as well. He didn't play badly, only that he was not often sighted.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Good stuff, Nico. Agree with everything.

I only watch a replay of the 4th quarter, but will try to get in the rest of the game this week. I'm particularly intrigued about Florent's 9 disposals, which went along with 307 metres gained. That's a lot of metres for 9 disposal. His goal came by way of running down the fat side. Maybe that was his role for the game and serves a purpose, even if he's not often used. He made a good defensive played to save a goal as well. He didn't play badly, only that he was not often sighted.
    Florent was ok. Did some 1%ers and no way he will be dropped or rested. He is part of the team setup. By the way, nice positioning by him for his goal.
    Last edited by Nico; 26th April 2022 at 07:28 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I wonder how many of Buddy's 1007 he's kicked with his right - under 50? I enjoyed that one to get his day back on track.
    Nice piece from Peter Ryan in The Age on Bud's right footer. He found one other right-footed goal. I'm pretty confident that's Lance's first right foot set snap.
    Last edited by MattW; 26th April 2022 at 07:46 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    How about the spray Rampe gave to Chad !
    It was very good and well justified (and defensive positioning is generally an issue Chad needs to keep working on), but it says a lot about Chad that he got himself into the game so powerfully after that.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    It would not surprise me at all if only one of Harry , Jake or Dane was on our list next year. I think only Dane still has one more year on contract but may be wrong.
    Jake and Harry are in-line for a decent contract offer from teams who would value not only their on field ability but also what they could offer off the field coming from a strong well run club that other clubs seem to rate.
    With both being 29 next season the timing is right for them and their is some nice synergy with their careers both starting with the Swans in the same year.
    If we did retain one I would lean toward Harry as a cheaper more physical option since I think we have a few running rebound defenders showing great potential which should cover Jake.
    I think we are already seeing some transition , maybe not as fast as some might wish , in how the ball comes out of defence although we did seem to persevere with Jake yesterday.

Of course a premiership would possibly change things completely and would be a nice problem to have.
    It would surprise me massively if two of those three went, but if I we could only retain one I would not just lean but lunge towards keeping Dane. He is more versatile than either of the others, and clearly the best kick of the three. The idea Rampe might be gone at the end of the year because of a few games below his usual stellar standard is ludicrous. That said, I'd be surprised if any of them were gone next year and hope they all remain.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    It would surprise me massively if two of those three went, but if I we could only retain one I would not just lean but lunge towards keeping Dane. He is more versatile than either of the others, and clearly the best kick of the three. The idea Rampe might be gone at the end of the year because of a few games below his usual stellar standard is ludicrous. That said, I'd be surprised if any of them were gone next year and hope they all remain.
    You may well be right I just pondered if we would keep all of them on the books next year and where they sat currently.
    I think Dane is a given to be here he is still under contract and probably not likely to field many offers from elsewhere.
    Jake is already talking about finishing his career at Sydney so is obviously keen to stay which may mean he will take a bit less money to do so which may allow us to maybe keep all three.
    I still think someone from that trio will not be playing in red and white next year but I say that without evidence it’s just supposition on my behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    You may well be right I just pondered if we would keep all of them on the books next year and where they sat currently.
    I think Dane is a given to be here he is still under contract and probably not likely to field many offers from elsewhere.
    Jake is already talking about finishing his career at Sydney so is obviously keen to stay which may mean he will take a bit less money to do so which may allow us to maybe keep all three.
    I still think someone from that trio will not be playing in red and white next year but I say that without evidence it’s just supposition on my behalf.
    Surely they will all stay. Their experience is needed to help our youngsters and they love the club. Unlikely that they would get significantly better coin elsewhere, so they may take a small haircut, apart from Dane, who I think is contracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Mongrel Punt have passed judgement on that performance

Sydney v Hawthorn - Bold Statements - The Mongrel Punt

"Sydney Can Win The Flag"
    I only just remembered, that I was going back to this when the paywall went down. Thanks for posting it, it's always an interesting read. They do seem bullish on our chances and I actually quite liked the praise for the umpires.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    So pleased that there doesn't seem to be any official concern for Paddy, but hoping we (and he) don't have to suffer repeated replays of his desolation/frustration when told he couldn't come back on (while absolutely supporting the medical team's decisions to do so).
    Delighted to see Horse come out strongly on the very personal footage of PMc that has been replayed relentlessly. This is exactly as I felt while watching this.

Might be the last thing he wants to do, but Longmire would be an outstanding AFL commissioner when his time with coaching is done - few people speak with such authority on player welfare, the needs of the northern states and general good sense about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Delighted to see Horse come out strongly on the very personal footage of PMc that has been replayed relentlessly. This is exactly as I felt while watching this.
    I agree it felt wrong to be showing such emotive footage of Paddy in that way. Good on Horse for calling it out.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Florent was ok. Did some 1%ers and no way he will be dropped or rested. He is part of the team setup. By the way, nice positioning by him for his goal.
    I had Florent as one of our best in Q1. Every touch was AOK.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718