Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 prematch thread - vs Brisbane at the SCG, Sunday 4.40 PM

I reckon Gould might get a go this week. He lacks a little height but what the heck. He has been our best back all season in the VFL. Not only that he has taken responsibility of being General with a very inexperienced backline. Most of his backs are ex Academy or Academy boys. He has done well

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I reckon Gould might get a go this week. He lacks a little height but what the heck. He has been our best back all season in the VFL. Not only that he has taken responsibility of being General with a very inexperienced backline. Most of his backs are ex Academy or Academy boys. He has done well

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    I haven’t seen much of the games but if your take on him is on the money you would think if not now then when will he debut?

Some time back there was the beginning of a discussion on how to maximise JPK strengths and minimise his weaknesses.

Pardon the pun on his strengths, but that is exactly what he brings - strength to complete a tackle and strength to lock the ball in - or - even better wrench it free. His weakness (now) is a slow down in pace so he can be exposed in open ground as distinct from stoppages and congestion.

My suggestion was to play him on the bench for a decent time - even the full 15 minutes, and then come in for the balance when others have slowed.

Maybe Rowbottom is played the opposite with 15 minutes of chasing and harassing and tagging, followed by a rest and reset.

It is going to be a fascinating game. Lots of match ups that I am interested in watching.
    It looks like they will tag Callum Mills with Berry. Rowbottom will find himself on Neale.
    Mcinerney will need to be sharp to reduce the influence of McCluggage. Hayward on to Zorko or even Gulden/Ronke. We need to have a second tall in the backline. Reid vs Melican vs Gould. If Gould is ready so be it, he will be ideal against Dan mcstay.
    Rampe will be needed for Lincoln McCarthy.

Out - Bell, McDonald and paddy
    In- Papley, Reid and Melican.

Sub - Kennedy - I would leave him as sub.

There will be a game where kennedy will come in but I will leave him as sub for now. There will be a game or two where he comes in for Parker or Rowbottom or Florent but not this game.

Suspended by the MRP
    Wonder if melican gets back in . Dont rate him but dont know who else we 've got , Goulds been ok in vfl not dominant , Reid not played much as a defender .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Note: The thread heading is wrong, in that the game start time is 4:40
    Sorry, forgot to adjust the time back to Eastern time (AFL site defaults to my Perth time)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It's not going to happen. Not even TB is dropping RB for JPK Banga. I agree with JPK in but not at RB's expense.
    Let me once again emphasise that being the medical sub does not equal being dropped.

I just feel that JPK is ready for a big game. He needs to be in the team this week. Someone needs to go out and Florent has too much top end talent to push outside the 22.

Paddy and Logan are structural players who need structural replacements.

Papley will be selected for Bell.

Who are we leaving outside the 22 for JPK?

I say RB is the most like for like with JPK.

I propose that RB is medical sub this week and the following weeks he swaps back into the 22 with JPK back to medical sub. This is a way to ensure both RB and JPK are managed well over two six day breaks.

Makes sense, doesn’t it…

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

I say RB is the most like for like with JPK.
    RB is not most like JPK. RB is a good defensive player, while JPK is a better offensive midfielder. If they have something in common it's that they are both slower than average for a Swan player.

The medical sub for Kennedy works just fine for me. He was great when he cam on. But I don't think that extends to a starting role, especially when we've had so much trouble getting out of the box.

I'm waiting on the injury report to get the details on Papley (listed on the injury list as 1 week,which usually means that he will miss this next game), Sheldrick (TBC) and Paddy. I was really expecting Papley to return this week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    RB is not most like JPK. RB is a good defensive player, while JPK is a better offensive midfielder. If they have something in common it's that they are both slower than average for a Swan player.
    Not having a go at him , but where was this 12-18 months ago ? No one and i mean no one wanted to hear he was slow and would be a defensive mid .

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Not having a go at him , but where was this 12-18 months ago ? No one and i mean no one wanted to hear he was slow and would be a defensive mid .
    Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wonder if melican gets back in . Dont rate him but dont know who else we 've got , Goulds been ok in vfl not dominant , Reid not played much as a defender .
    I agree with you, TB, about Gould and Reid in the VFL. I'm not in the hordes who are raving about Gould's VFL form - I'd say he's been decent with some highlight moments, but not bashing the door down to play seniors.

Sheldrick has damaged his meniscus in his knee. I would love to hear GoSwannies explain what this means. I gather this is nothing like season-ending but it is going to keep him out at least another 1-2 weeks and possibly longer. Damien Raper said he would have an update about him in "a week or two".
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

The medical sub for Kennedy works just fine for me. He was great when he cam on. But I don't think that extends to a starting role, especially when we've had so much trouble getting out of the box.

I'm waiting on the injury report to get the details on Papley (listed on the injury list as 1 week,which usually means that he will miss this next game), Sheldrick (TBC) and Paddy. I was really expecting Papley to return this week.
    Interesting viewpoint on how you see the two players.
    Please excuse my lack of understanding of how others value the requirements for certain positions but wouldn’t a defensive player be well down the figures for contested possessions and clearances ?
    Or is it simply part of the defensive role to get the ball and give it to an offensive player to attack ?
    I am not sure they are that much different in how they approach the position. The notable difference is that JPK has been an absolute legend for this club and arguably the best contested possession getter in the comp for the last ten years. He is also a much bigger human being which probably helps in close.
    Now I am not suggesting in any way that they are in the same class and James certainly has a long way to go to even think it but I see some similarities in the way they attack the football and we need more players that get the ball so that the attacking players can shine.
    In summary I agree retain the status quo

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast