Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 prematch thread - vs Brisbane at the SCG, Sunday 4.40 PM

When I said RB was more of a defensive player, it didn't mean it to be construed that this was the only aspect of his game. What I meant was that he had more of a defensive focus to his game. He plays to stop his opponent, scraps a lot at ground level, pressures opposition kickers and really tries hard to stick his tackles. He does the less glamourous stuff before trying the spectacular. There's no point of comparing RB to Chad, who has a great contested and offensive game. He misses some of the stuff that RB does very well, but we are not looking to change anything. Let Chad be Chad and RB be RB. Both players help make the Swans a better team.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Interesting viewpoint on how you see the two players.
    Please excuse my lack of understanding of how others value the requirements for certain positions but wouldn’t a defensive player be well down the figures for contested possessions and clearances ?
    Or is it simply part of the defensive role to get the ball and give it to an offensive player to attack ?
    I am not sure they are that much different in how they approach the position. The notable difference is that JPK has been an absolute legend for this club and arguably the best contested possession getter in the comp for the last ten years. He is also a much bigger human being which probably helps in close.
    Now I am not suggesting in any way that they are in the same class and James certainly has a long way to go to even think it but I see some similarities in the way they attack the football and we need more players that get the ball so that the attacking players can shine.
    In summary I agree retain the status quo
    Kennedy is about 13 years older than RB. I doubt Kennedy had his current physique when he was drafted.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    When I said RB was more of a defensive player, it didn't mean it to be construed that this was the only aspect of his game. What I meant was that he had more of a defensive focus to his game. He plays to stop his opponent, scraps a lot at ground level, pressures opposition kickers and really tries hard to stick his tackles. He does the less glamourous stuff before trying the spectacular. There's no point of comparing RB to Chad, who has a great contested and offensive game. He misses some of the stuff that RB does very well, but we are not looking to change anything. Let Chad be Chad and RB be RB. Both players help make the Swans a better team.
    Thanks for your clarification on how you see him I was thinking along the same lines myself and agree with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Sheldrick has damaged his meniscus in his knee. I would love to hear GoSwannies explain what this means. I gather this is nothing like season-ending but it is going to keep him out at least another 1-2 weeks and possibly longer. Damien Raper said he would have an update about him in "a week or two".
    This is what I suspected. A torn meniscus, the cartilage in the knee joint, can be minor to serious, depending on the amount o damage. A lot of players get this injury. If it's not too bad, a player can get through the season managing the pain. Usually it will require post season surgery. Sometimes this is called a cleanout, which a lot of players get at year end, when they cut out torn pieces of meniscus and other loose bits in the knew. The meniscus cushions the knee joint, so you don't want to have too much of it remove in your lifetime. If you do, like like I have had, you end up with knee replacements. Surgery is usually arthroscopic and not a big deal. Even is Sheldrick has surgery, he shouldn't be out that long.

This is not a medical opinion, just from personal experience.

BTW, bloodspirit, where did you get the info on Sheldrick. I couldn't find anything.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Kennedy is about 13 years older than RB. I doubt Kennedy had his current physique when he was drafted.
    I agree and when you compare the two players at the same age there isn’t a huge difference in output Josh didn’t nail a senior role till about the same age James is now when he moved North. I have no doubt James will bulk up but he is about 15 lighter and that’s a lot of weight that I can’t see him packing on in the future.
    Just reinforces just how valuable Josh has been over the journey.

How do people think Tom Papley will go with the increased sensitivity of umpires to back chat and the questioning of decisions?

He was penalised 3 times in 2021 for umpire abuse.

What should be the Tom be aiming for with umpire abuse penalties in 2022? I accept that he’s likely to concede at least one umpire abuse penalty in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    How do people think Tom Papley will go with the increased sensitivity of umpires to back chat and the questioning of decisions?

What should be the Tom be aiming for with umpire abuse penalties in 2022? I accept that he’s likely to concede at least one umpire abuse penalty in 2022.
    Papley recovered from his hamstring injury weeks ago. He hasn't played yet this year as he's still recovering from surgery sewing his lips together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    BTW, bloodspirit, where did you get the info on Sheldrick. I couldn't find anything.
    I spoke to Damien Raper and another member of the med/physio staff at training last week. Until I just posted it, I'm not aware of this information being in the public domain. I held off publishing it at first, but I figure that Sheldrick is a first year player outside the best 22 and so I can't see a reason for not sharing this. Does anyone see it differently?

Incidentally, I gave it to Raper with both barrels (without being necessarily critical) about how we would like to hear injury updates for all players, including the fringe players and not have them effectively disappear for extended periods of time without update (I'm thinking like Matt Ling at different times). Possibly due to this Raper was not especially forthcoming with me - he was a bit more guarded than the other staff member I spoke to, even before I gave him that feedback.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

After eight weeks out, Paps will be too busy sucking in the deep ones to abuse anyone. We shouldn’t expect to much from him on that count, or much else. If he plays, scrounges a goal, gets some much fitness and doesn’t reinjure himself, that’s a pass mark.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Let it go.
    Happy to , once i get a "You were right , sorry for not taking your views seriously"

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I spoke to Damien Raper and another member of the med/physio staff at training last week. Until I just posted it, I'm not aware of this information being in the public domain. I held off publishing it at first, but I figure that Sheldrick is a first year player outside the best 22 and so I can't see a reason for not sharing this. Does anyone see it differently?

Incidentally, I gave it to Raper with both barrels (without being necessarily critical) about how we would like to hear injury updates for all players, including the fringe players and not have them effectively disappear for extended periods of time without update (I'm thinking like Matt Ling at different times). Possibly due to this Raper was not especially forthcoming with me - he was a bit more guarded than the other staff member I spoke to, even before I gave him that feedback.
    Personally I really appreciate you posting this I saw on AFL.com.au Sheldrick was down as knee to be confirmed and I was wondering what he had because I think he is going to be a really good player for us long term so thanks for that info

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’d instinctively like to see Gould get a game, just so we know and based on the feedback he’s been getting better from regular ressie watchers.

But whichever way we go, you’d assume Tom Mc gets Daniher, then the resting ruck and Gardner get split between Ramps and the other tall we pick. As tall as they are as a forward unit, the others beyond Joe aren’t elite - they benefit from excellent play up the ground, and their smalls worry me more.

The bigger issue we have, particular given our midfield goes to sleep now and then and a good side like Brisbane will maximise the opportunity, is the loss of Paddy’s intercept marking and field kicking. He really reads the play well, both defensively and offensively.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast