Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 prematch thread - vs Brisbane at the SCG, Sunday 4.40 PM

Senior Player

Round 7 prematch thread - vs Brisbane at the SCG, Sunday 4.40 PM

Last game of the round, 3rd (them) vs 4th (us) by percentage.

We have McDonald and Paddy out due to concussion protocols.

I thought Florent was really absent/ineffective vs the Hawks.

If Papley might need a game in the VFL first before he comes in for Bell

So outs:

McDonald, Paddy and Florent

Ins:

Reid, Gould/Melican and Kennedy.

Medical sub - Stephens

My early crow:

Out: McCartin, McDonald, Bell

In: Gould, Reid, Papley

I might also swap JPK into the 22 and Florent out into the 23rd position.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My early crow:

Out: McCartin, McDonald, Bell

In: Gould, Reid, Papley

I might also swap JPK into the 22 and Florent out into the 23rd position.
    I like these changes a lot. But I'd still be on the fence re: Florent / Kennedy.

I feel that Florent is talented but not consistent enough. Needs a kick up the pants to tell him to get his act together. He's a good, reliable player to come on as sub if need be. I can't quite bring myself to demote JPK to the ressies at this stage. Having Reid in the side gives us flexibility to move the magnets around if things aren't working the way we'd like and he's good at defending and applying pressure.

Gould ahead of Melican is a big call but I'd love to give him a chance and debuting him in our home game gives him a great opportunity. Rampe will have to step up in Paddy's absence.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I feel that Florent is talented but not consistent enough. Needs a kick up the pants to tell him to get his act together. He's a good, reliable player to come on as sub if need be. I can't quite bring myself to demote JPK to the ressies at this stage. Having Reid in the side gives us flexibility to move the magnets around if things aren't working the way we'd like and he's good at defending and applying pressure.

Gould ahead of Melican is a big call but I'd love to give him a chance and debuting him in our home game gives him a great opportunity. Rampe will have to step up in Paddy's absence.
    If we don't try Gould, we'll never know what he's like at the level. So, I'm with you on that one. Paddy going out for a week would seem to be the perfect opportunity to play him.

I really torn with Kennedy. He's been an incredible player for us and was incredibly reassuring when he had hands on the pill. I didn't mean to use past tense as he's capable of anything still. But I don't know about dropping a young mid to give him game time.

Reid played well last week and I thought it was a bit stiff for him to be dropped.

Anyway, the changes will be interesting and I hope whoever comes in is ready for battle against the Lions.

If Wicks or Papley is ready, I'd bring either in for McDonald. If both are ready, then Bell's time is up. But I like the forward group a lot better when we're a bit smaller. Buddy + McLean is plenty of size, in my opinion. Gives a bit more space for Heeney to operate, and I think Hayward would play better with that look too.

Wicks is ready. He has been dropped not injured. He played reserves last weekend instead of against NMFC, and he wasn't that impressive. He would have played reserves again this weekend except the reserves have a bye round.

Senior Player
    I'm not sure Paddy is actually out with concussion protocols - John didn't seem sure in the post match presser and said he felt good.

I agree with Josho and it might be a Papley-McDonald straight swap. Papley is more of a lead-up threat than Reid. I was really impressed with McLean's effort up the ground.

I thought Horse made some comment about missing some players out of our forward line. And he mentioned Papley, AND Wicks?

Regular in the Side
    It will be a very important game to cement our top four position if we can beat the in-form Lions.

Scenario 1 Papley is 100% fit again:
    * Papley replacing Logan will be a good move.
    * Reid can replace Paddy. He has been training with the Backs in the preseasons. He was drafted as a defender but switched to forward later. Reid is much more experienced and versatile.
    * JPK to start and Bell act as sub

Scenario 2 Papley is not ready:
    * Reid to replace Logan
    * Gould/Melican to replace Paddy with Gould slightly preferred. Most of our debutants give some special energy to the team.
    * Wicks/ JPK to replace Bell
    Last edited by Aaron; 25th April 2022 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    If we don't try Gould, we'll never know what he's like at the level. So, I'm with you on that one. Paddy going out for a week would seem to be the perfect opportunity to play him.

I really torn with Kennedy. He's been an incredible player for us and was incredibly reassuring when he had hands on the pill. I didn't mean to use past tense as he's capable of anything still. But I don't know about dropping a young mid to give him game time.

Reid played well last week and I thought it was a bit stiff for him to be dropped.

Anyway, the changes will be interesting and I hope whoever comes in is ready for battle against the Lions.
    Gould's been very good in the VFL this season, so I'm sure that he's ready to step up. The only reservation that I have, is that Brisbane play two ruckmen and often there's one of them resting in the forward line. So the 191cm Gould might find it a testing debut, if he spends most of the night marking McInerney or Fort.

Gould has to come in sometime. Paddy should be back in 2 weeks, so this looks to be the time to pull the plug. Based on what's been said about Paps' progress to date, it sounded like he was on target for this game. If Gould plays in defense, perhaps Reid should come in for Logan, giving us some additional cover in defence if Gould falls over.

Bell is simply not making much progress. I think the clock is just going to run out for him and he might not get another shot unless he really lights up the VFL.

I would leave JPK as the Sub. I said a few weeks back we should look at the Sub as a true position for which JPK is very well suited, for exactly the reasons he showed in the game. Coming on fresh in the second half, he doesn't look that slow at the rest of the field tires. I'm sure we've all noticed that even last year, Josh was putting up poor numbers in 1st quarters and looking very sluggish when the game was hot. This is his best role and I don't look upon it disparagingly.

Lions are playing well and have become nearly unbeatable at home, so not expecting much. Hopeful, but just being realistic. I guess I'll be even more realistic when we play the Demons The rest of the league I think we can beat when we play to our game plan and execute like I know we can.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast