Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Round 7: the other games. Time to get out the black texta?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Do you think the AFL, a sport that predominately exists within 3 states of 1 single country, can afford to adopt the same cut throat approach to a sport with millions of supporters all over the world?

I agree that we don't have the coverage of talent to sustain a 20 team comp right now. Expansion is driven by TV rights, more games each week means more revenue. The league is always going to push the limits of sustainability but need to be careful not to get too greedy and spoil the competition by spreading the talent too thin.
    Agree. You can't really compare the AFL to the major sporting leagues all around the world. The economy the AFL exists in is tiny compared
    to them. Many of us in Sydney don't like the Melbourne focus of the AFL but if more Sydney people got on board and developed an interest
    in footy then some of that focus would follow the money that would come from more people in Sydney being interested in the code.
    I can't see the number of teams in Melbourne being cut for a long time. Look at the last 40 years. One Melbourne team was cut and one
    was moved. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    What if both Hawthorn and Norths are relocated to Tasmania?
    8 Victorian and an equal number of non Victorian teams
    In a perfect world, I'd love to see the comp at 14 teams. Right amount in my opinion for better spread of talent, ability to have a proper 26 round home and away season (could expand the list a bit to allow for the extra games). Finding 4 clubs to get rid of now will never happen however, unless the game hits a terrible patch and clubs literally go broke. I think it would be a better number to maximise quality of the game, and get a better balance as a national competition. They missed the chance to move to that when they didn't force someone to relocate for Gold Coast (they did try hard with lol@Norf granted), and GWS.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456