Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7: the other games. Time to get out the black texta?

Round 7: the other games. Time to get out the black texta?

It's probably time to draw a line through some teams' chances for 2022, if they don't manage to pull off a win over the weekend. These are the teams that could end up 1/6 after the completion of the round. Yes, while I know that we made the finals in 2017 after starting 0/6, I don't think any of those currently at 1/5 have the quality of that team. Nor have any of them had to deal with the trauma, of being shafted by the umpiring in the previous season's grand final.

Tonight's game is a case in point. Unless West Coast can pull off a surprise win over Richmond, they will slump to 1/6, and I can't see them coming back from there. Alternatively, a loss for Richmond will see them at 2/5, and even if they soon get Dusty back, it's hard to see them being genuine contenders.

The first Saturday game is Geelong hosting Fremantle. Geelong are short priced favourites in this, despite Fremantle arguably having the better form. Though of course, Fremantle don't really like travelling to Melbourne, let alone Geelong.

The other afternoon game sees Adelaide looking to consign GWS to a 1/6 start. Which is on the cards. It seemed to me that GWS played a dire brand of stagnant football last week, and a famous catchphrase from Monty Python, would best describe the reappearance of Toby Greene. If they do lose, Leon Cameron might find himself replacing Ken Hinkley as the coach most likely to be sacked.

The twilight game has Melbourne and Hawthorn at the MCG. Hearing the news that Melbourne had four players out through H & S protocols, I thought that they might be vulnerable. Then I looked up who was coming into the side: Viney, Lever and McDonald. Ugghh!. Then again, who doesn't want to see Hawthorn slide further down the ladder?

Then there's a night match in Cairns, between St Kilda and Port. If Port lose, Hinkley will regain the title of coach most likely to be sacked.

The other Saturday night match is Carlton v North. Wouldn't mind seeing North cause an upset there.

The Sunday afternoon games are Collingwood v Gold Coast and Western Bulldogs v Essendon. I'll be interested to see what sort of reaction Cody Weightman gets from the Essendon fans, after he stated that he considered staging for frees to be part of his skill set. Will the reaction be hostile every time that he goes near the ball, or will it largely be barely remembered yesterday's news. Either way, I think it's stagers like Weightman, who will cause the end of the AFL's strict interpretation of their umpire dissent rule. That is, somebody will get a free from throwing themselves on the ground under no contact whatsoever, the aggrieved defender will make some sort of diving gesture and promptly get marched 50 metres. The stager will then smugly saunter to the goal square, to be further rewarded with an easy six points. This will then lead to much after game discussion, on whether we really want to give further incentives to blatant cheats.

But anyway, we should finish the round on a more positive note, by beating Brisbane and in the process, further establishing ourselves as premiership contenders.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Very much a meh round.

But given how badly Essendon are travelling, and given the Dogs fans will be thinking like they did before last week, now we get to make our run - go the Bombers! I have absolutely no faith in this aspiration coming true, but it'd be a joy to see, and it'd only be made better if victory was secured by a Bombers' player securing a free from a dive in the dying seconds to then kick the winning goal.

P.S: Essendon's chances just improved. They finally dropped Dylan Shiels. Soft as butter, doesn't defend, won't run two ways and can't hit a target. They're an instantly better side.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 29th April 2022 at 06:12 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I don't understand how with a rolling draw, we get west coast on Friday night?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I don't understand how with a rolling draw, we get west coast on Friday night?
    When the fixture was released the games for rounds 1 to 9 were all assigned a time slot so this game was already scheduled for tonight.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Eagles in a world of pain already. Almost quarter time and 37 down.

Half time and over 10 goals down in front of their devotees , will they head home now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Half time and over 10 goals down in front of their devotees , will they head home now ?
    The Eagles have lost more than this game. They are a shambles.

Surely this is the worst loss in the history of the WCE? Being absolutely destroyed at home by Richmond. A big rebuild ahead for the Eagles.

Senior Player
    I haven’t watched the game but was curious as to how Greg Clark the mature age Eagles recruit who has a good track record in the WAFL has performed. A big midfielder at 195 cm and 95 kg which not that long ago would have played ruck hate the Eagles but like an underdog story.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Very much a meh round.
    It really is. And I normally enjoy watching the Lions but of course, don't want to see too much from them this week.

Tonight's game was one of those I had to keep watching just to see how bad it could get for the Eagles, and the answer was "very". What a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    It really is. And I normally enjoy watching the Lions but of course, don't want to see too much from them this week.

Tonight's game was one of those I had to keep watching just to see how bad it could get for the Eagles, and the answer was "very". What a shocker.
    Agreed. There is something fascinating about watching a train wreck. I vividly recall watching the Dees being slaughtered by Geelong by 30 goals in 2011. It cost the coach his job that week. It was strangely compulsive viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Surely this is the worst loss in the history of the WCE? Being absolutely destroyed at home by Richmond. A big rebuild ahead for the Eagles.
    Interesting that during the Swans 2019 and 2020 bottom four years, that we were never as bad as West Coast.

Every player battled hard and produced many narrow losses during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. They never got blown out of the water three weeks in a row.

I personally think that the Swans of 2019 and 2020 were the greatest bottom four team in AFL history. Lots of injuries, however a guys like Ryan Clarke came in and always gave 110% effort and intensity.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast