Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Rd 7 vs Brisbane @ SCG - Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Settle down.....you must admit, it does make for an entertaining read. .
    I don’t mind the inane bickering - I can read it for entertainment or skip it for sanity. It’s the misquoting that got me. I have to go back through the thread to see who was quoting who to make sense of it.

You ever been to an actual game? It's rarely polite in the stands. Move on..... .
    Plenty and many of those tossers annoy me too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Yep . Created their surge . I knew we had been outcoached when Heeney was stationed in defence . That is a huge win for the opposition . They had too many weapons firing and not enough of ours were
    Good posts TB- that’s more like it! As far as Horse being outcoached: when you have boys against men including Lachie Neale, your options to combat are pretty limited. Not much a coach can do. I’m not saying Horse doesn’t make mistakes but when you are clearly outclassed, it doesn’t matter what moves you make you are still going to be outplayed.

It seemed like we double fisted a lot of spoils which we could’ve marked. It seemed every time we did this, Brisbane scored from the ensuing stoppage.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Damn right we did - set me off like a firecracker. And only too true about Brisbane scoring.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Good posts TB- that’s more like it! As far as Horse being outcoached: when you have boys against men including Lachie Neale, your options to combat are pretty limited. Not much a coach can do. I’m not saying Horse doesn’t make mistakes but when you are clearly outclassed, it doesn’t matter what moves you make you are still going to be outplayed.
    Horse has outcoached the best of them at times .They all have their days and in a final the result could be the reverse . We beat them last yr but we were on song then . I reckon we were 1 mid too many last night and would of brought in an extra defender , we obviously anticipated the mids were gonna be tough or we wouldnt have gone so defensive to start with , so why didnt we see that we would need another defender to counter that . Florent isn 't that . He played well but he couldnt impact in the air . We needed a Gould or o'riordan type who can properly defend . Instead we went in loaded with mids who couldn 't help out in other roles .

Little decisions like that can add up and have a big impact on game day . I know its shoulda coulda woulda and easy to be a Monday arvo armchair critic but i have said this all yr , if someone cant fit in the midfield then dont try and make them into something else . Cut them and play someone made for that role .

We are 5th on the ladder and Heaney and Franklin are equal 7th in the Coleman.

Lets move on

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was disappointed with our loss, but it was what I expected, which is similar to comments by several others on here. I listened to the post match interviews of Longmire and Parker, which aligns well with my thoughts. They are just a bigger, stronger and better team at this point in time. Maybe we are a couple of years behind them.

Their pressure was outstanding. There's nothing that beats pressure excepts more pressure. If a team can bring high pressure, it forces the other side to try to match them. This is a good blueprint for other teams to beat the Swans, i.e. to try to beat us at the pressure game. So we know what we have to do to win in the future. It's part of our game plan. We just need to execute it better.

Although we kicked long to Buddy with good effect at times, the same old bombing it to the forward line is a loser, and has to change if we want to become a top team. We just don't offer enough good leads out of the forward line like other teams seem to do.

We also haven't solved the defensive coverage problem. We too often give up goals in defensive scrambles. Opposing players get lost in the chaos. This is mostly the fault of our young midfielders not knowing what to do dropping back into our defensive zone and learning to pick up coverage. Chad, who was good offensively, made a few defensive blunders.

Kennedy showed his ability to use his strength in the contest, but overall, he didn't add much. He slowed up our attack quite often and couldn't keep up with players on defence. I think he should go back to the medisub role.

Lachie Neale is nearly impossible to stop. His first few steps from a stoppage are devastating and can't be matched by a tagger and that's all the room he needs to launch the ball to goal, and all to often right on target. Just a super player.
    Great thoughts.
    I think our connection from inside to outside, and from mid to f50 is not as crisp as last year. But it was expected that the opposition has had 1 whole year to study and stop us.
    But what is annoying to see this year is the lack of leads by forwards (I haven’t seen many genuine leading up to the kicker) and the turnover in our defensive 50.
    I reckon if we improve on these two things, we will probably improve by 2-3 goals.

This is some of what the Mongrel Punt (un-paywalled) had to say:

Brisbane v Sydney - The Big Questions - The Mongrel Punt

Lachie Neale put Brisbane on his back,
    The RB tagging experiment didn’t include centre bounces in Q2
    Lloyd had a shocker
    Ladhams played much better than expected against two genuine rucks

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    It seemed like we double fisted a lot of spoils which we could’ve marked. It seemed every time we did this, Brisbane scored from the ensuing stoppage.
    Some blokes sitting behind me commented on this multiple times during the game. Lots of comments of the classic "if you can get two hands to it, you can mark it!" variety. They're not wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I see Mr Swamp has deleted that tweet, which suggests he made a rare error. There's a replacement.

Veterans List
    He's probably the worst umpire in the league at the moment....and that is saying something. The female umpire has gone from very good to very bad in the space of two years....associating with Victorian cheats will do that.

The standard of AFL umpiring gets worse every year. It's going to affect future game attendance figures IMO if it's not fixed...it's that bad.

Really sad that we have a bunch of deluded micro managers in charge of the game at the moment.
    That's what you get when you appoint Brad Scott, one of the greatest whingers as a player and coach as Football Manager. He makes the big statement at a press conference that the rule will be adhered to, no ifs, no buts. Then the umpires ignore his edict the very next round. Talk about putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    We are 5th on the ladder and Heaney and Franklin are equal 7th in the Coleman.

Lets move on
    I know it not much of an excuse, but watching the replay it seems that the bounce or spoil always ended up with a Brisbane Lions player. Luck was not on our side.