Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 8 pre-match thread - v Suns 1:45 PM Saturday @ SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    FYI

The 3 highest midfielder centre bounce attendees against Brisbane were Parker, Mills & Kennedy. Which is also probably our 3 slowest midfielders - an odd choice for the swift Lions.
    Parks and Mills, with one of Chad, Errol or Ollie. Joey with the other 2. Appreciate that Paps was underdone so only very few stints in the middle. Heeney is needed up front or maybe on the wing a bit and shouldn’t have to play in the guts.
    Ollie played back and did well, so maybe couldn’t spend much time in the middle.

But I totally agree that the 3 you mention should not have been together against such a quick midfied.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Who else was gonna be ? Chad maybe , but Jmac , Paps, Heeney , Gulden , Florent these types arent permanent mids , cant go 4 quarters at centre bounces . Should 've used Chad more but he is young
    Here are the actual numbers:

Sydney – Peter Ladhams 30, Luke Parker 24, Callum Mills 21, Josh P Kennedy 15, Chad Warner 14, Isaac Heeney 11, Tom Papley 8, Justin McInerney 3, Sam Reid 3, Errol Gulden 2, James Rowbottom 1.

Chad was only 1 behind JPK. We won the CB clearances 15-13.

The stats overall were pretty even on the day, yet I thought Brisbane were clearly better. The telling difference was that Brisbane's pressure was better and they kept up the pressure for longer. It's hard to beat that. But we have a good pressure squad which should only get better with time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Based on that article, you would think Logan comes in for Reid, Hickey for McLean and Paddy for Cunningham.

Pretty good changes, Lloyd, Florent or Rowbottom are going to have to play a lock down defender type of role to cover Cunningham.
    Yep; Florent.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here are the actual numbers:

Sydney – Peter Ladhams 30, Luke Parker 24, Callum Mills 21, Josh P Kennedy 15, Chad Warner 14, Isaac Heeney 11, Tom Papley 8, Justin McInerney 3, Sam Reid 3, Errol Gulden 2, James Rowbottom 1.

Chad was only 1 behind JPK. We won the CB clearances 15-13.

The stats overall were pretty even on the day, yet I thought Brisbane were clearly better. The telling difference was that Brisbane's pressure was better and they kept up the pressure for longer. It's hard to beat that. But we have a good pressure squad which should only get better with time.
    There you go then , so they are the 4 we should use . Heeney Jmac and Paps when we need a spark . Not sure there is a place for Florent in that group , like him off hb

Florent has done well at CBs late in games, but I do like him as a small defender and see a role for him there. He looks composed in defence.

I wouldn't count on JPK in the midfield every week, and this is certainly his last year anyway. Parker, Mills and Warner look to be the top 3 on ballers for the next few years. Maybe Sheldrick will get in the mix next year. We have plenty of other options who can take a half dozen CBAs a game to take the pressure off the primary group and give the opposition different looks. Tagging assignments would also change the mix from week to week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Florent has done well at CBs late in games, but I do like him as a small defender and see a role for him there. He looks composed in defence.

I wouldn't count on JPK in the midfield every week, and this is certainly his last year anyway. Parker, Mills and Warner look to be the top 3 on ballers for the next few years. Maybe Sheldrick will get in the mix next year. We have plenty of other options who can take a half dozen CBAs a game to take the pressure off the primary group and give the opposition different looks. Tagging assignments would also change the mix from week to week.
    Yes only including Kennedy for present , gone at the end of this yr . We do need 3 or 4 who can go for 4 quarters in there because let me tell you Paps Jmac Gulden etc will get destroyed if that is required of them. 1 more gun mid to go with Parker Mills Chad , hope Gus comes on but i reckon Roberts is our best bet , might be in there by 2nd half of this yr , needs to tidy up his ball use a bit

Yes only including Kennedy for present , gone at the end of this yr . We do need 3 or 4 who can go for 4 quarters in there because let me tell you Paps Jmac Gulden etc will get destroyed if that is required of them. 1 more gun mid to go with Parker Mills Chad , hope Gus comes on but i reckon Roberts is our best bet , might be in there by 2nd half of this yr , needs to tidy up his ball use a bit
    I think our best Centre Square combination is Mills, Papley and Chad. You have the class, contested ability, strength and anticipation of Mills to go with the speed, power, and intensity of Papley and Chad.

Your station Parker at half forward whom swaps with Papley after the Center Bounce is complete.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think our best Centre Square combination is Mills, Papley and Chad. You have the class, contested ability, strength and anticipation of Mills to go with the speed, power, and intensity of Papley and Chad.

Your station Parker at half forward whom swaps with Papley after the Center Bounce is complete.
    Big call leaving Parker out and not one i would be wanting to make . Final centre bounce of a grand final with 1 kick in it , i know i would want him in there .

Big call leaving Parker out and not one i would be wanting to make . Final centre bounce of a grand final with 1 kick in it , i know i would want him in there .
    Due to the 6,6,6 rule there is a a lot more space for players, with speed and power to breakaway and score goals. That’s why I’ve gone for the speed and power of Papley and Chad. Before the 6,6,6 rule there wasn’t the space to break away and the the brute strength players like Kennedy and Parker were favoured as they could absorb pressure off the square.

Chad would not have kicked his famous goal against Richmond last year without the 6,6,6 because someone would have nailed him coming off the square at half back.

I don’t think having Parker contesting a quick kick out of the square at half forward is a bad option either.

Matt Robert’s and Stephens both had reasonable disposals and clearances in VFL. Robert’s and sheldrick should be the tried there in the future.
    If we are winning centre clearances with 2 vs 1 ruck battle, it means Ladhams has done really well in the ruck division. What probably is happening is that we are losing in the post contest work. Either the clearances are not to our advantage in f50 or the connection from the inside to outside isn’t great. Our outside midfielders struggled this game and that was probably the difference. Mcinerney and Florent if on song we do well in this connection.

Stephens should come in for Kennedy in addition to the changes mentioned by others. I like Kennedy on bench with limited minutes and maximum damage when the game is slowed down.

It is also reflective of what the coaches think of him. Given Florent was chosen to go defence over Kennedy even though Kennedy played many games at HB tells me that they think his best position is only inside midfield and the only way he can have impact in that position is if he comes through as a sub.

Would like to see Ramps play the small fwd, its typically a small forward this year that does well against us.

Rather he locks down and Ollie, Blackey and Campbell get to run off

Agree Mclean goes out before Reid on versatility, good to see our ruck tandem, Ladhams has been very good with follow up work last 2 weeks

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    FYI

The 3 highest midfielder centre bounce attendees against Brisbane were Parker, Mills & Kennedy. Which is also probably our 3 slowest midfielders - an odd choice for the swift Lions.
    I've been saying this out loud for ages. We have too many tortoises at centre bounces. Not enough fleet of foot players in there who go for the footy instead of blocking and holding. Warner should be in there every time. He actually looks to where the footy goes and is good at anticipating where it will go.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast