Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 8 pre-match thread - v Suns 1:45 PM Saturday @ SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Who else was gonna be ? Chad maybe , but Jmac , Paps, Heeney , Gulden , Florent these types arent permanent mids , cant go 4 quarters at centre bounces . Should 've used Chad more but he is young
    They don't need to be permanent mids. Just put them in there for the bounce. Mind you, I think Mills should always be in there. Maybe they never have the same combo in there. Mix it up a bit.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here are the actual numbers:

Sydney – Peter Ladhams 30, Luke Parker 24, Callum Mills 21, Josh P Kennedy 15, Chad Warner 14, Isaac Heeney 11, Tom Papley 8, Justin McInerney 3, Sam Reid 3, Errol Gulden 2, James Rowbottom 1.

Chad was only 1 behind JPK. We won the CB clearances 15-13.

The stats overall were pretty even on the day, yet I thought Brisbane were clearly better. The telling difference was that Brisbane's pressure was better and they kept up the pressure for longer. It's hard to beat that. But we have a good pressure squad which should only get better with time.
    When I look at centre clearances I judge which side had the clean clearances. We get too many scrappy clearances. Neale just burst away which put enormous pressure on our back 6. Quick players are more likely to break clear.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    They don't need to be permanent mids. Just put them in there for the bounce. Mind you, I think Mills should always be in there. Maybe they never have the same combo in there. Mix it up a bit.
    Just for the bounce ? Now i have seen it all . There is about 30 odd bounces every game ! They have to come off at some point and they aren 't built for it or made for it . Jmac is still a stick .

Agree about combos though , they will be needed to give them all breaks . 2 quick ones in there with 1 bull each time , scrappers to the reserves

The above discussion about centre square rotations underscores the argument that we are currently short one top quality midfielder to complement what we already have.

Do we have that player currently on our list as a developing player or do we need to find that person in the future through the draft or trading? We drafted a lot of midfielders last draft so maybe one of those can develop in time? Its hard to know at this stage but we need someone to come through pretty quickly.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The above discussion about centre square rotations underscores the argument that we are currently short one top quality midfielder to complement what we already have.

Do we have that player currently on our list as a developing player or do we need to find that person in the future through the draft or trading? We drafted a lot of midfielders last draft so maybe one of those can develop in time? Its hard to know at this stage but we need someone to come through pretty quickly.
    Gus or Roberts , mark my words .

Sheldrick is a harder Lachie neale , fights harder for possession but will be as damaging with his speed , good kick too. Roberts more a Libba type , goes from contest to contest winning the ball and finding his teammates . I will not say they will be on Mills level or Chad 's future level but they will be keys to our midfield . The sooner we can get them into our midfield the better . If im wrong so be it but happy to make the call , both will be stars .

In: Hickey, McDonald, P McCartin, Gould
    Out: McLean, Reid, Cunningham, Bell

B: Lloyd P McCartin Rampe
    HB: Campbell T McCartin. Blakey
    C: Florent Parker McInerney
    HF: Heeney Franklin. Hayward
    F: Ronke McDonald Papley
    R: Hickey Mills Warner

Int: Ladhams Gould Rowbottom Gulden
    Sub: Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    FYI

The 3 highest midfielder centre bounce attendees against Brisbane were Parker, Mills & Kennedy. Which is also probably our 3 slowest midfielders - an odd choice for the swift Lions.
    the Lions have a strong group of solid midfielders. We had to match the strong bodies some how

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    When I look at centre clearances I judge which side had the clean clearances. We get too many scrappy clearances. Neale just burst away which put enormous pressure on our back 6. Quick players are more likely to break clear.
    I think this is a good observation. Ladhams wasn't able (against good opposition) to tap to our midfielders advantage. Neale, being the good player he is, was able to shark many clearances. I think Hickey will make a difference in the middle and will also help coach Ladhams in how to be more effective in the middle (eg take away clearances)

I'm hoping for
    Ins: Hickey McDonald McCartin Snr
    Outs: Reid McLean Cunningham

Reid is perhaps unlucky. He clunked a couple of great marks up on the wings, but really, he also missed goals, was barely adequate when he chopped out Ladhams, and went missing when the heat was on.

Ladhams impressed me, confirming what I'd seen on television over the previous week: much more presence, alertness and energy. My first sighting of him at the North game was so disappointing, but now I see his value.

Things that I am reflecting on:
    —Rowbottom v Kennedy. I'm seeing value in Kennedy, but only as a mid. Not a playmaker; no value off HB or on a wing. Rowbottom looks like he might benefit from a break. I thought he was pretty good in the first half last week, but dropped out of the game.

—Florent to HB is interesting. He has been playing a deep mid role, almost quarterbacking (remember Matt80?) all season, so the shift is less about playing behind the ball than taking on more accountability for a direct opponent.

—I am still an advocate for a game-sacrificing pressure forward (Wicks/Bell). Last week our two small forwards were relatively unsighted—Papley was desperately short of a run, and Ronke had minimal impact. Brisbane seemed to roll the ball out of their defensive 50 pretty easily. Perhaps we need to see how that combination fares again this week, but I'm not as willing as others to push Bell/Wicks out of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Gus or Roberts , mark my words .

Sheldrick is a harder Lachie neale , fights harder for possession but will be as damaging with his speed , good kick too. Roberts more a Libba type , goes from contest to contest winning the ball and finding his teammates . I will not say they will be on Mills level or Chad 's future level but they will be keys to our midfield . The sooner we can get them into our midfield the better . If im wrong so be it but happy to make the call , both will be stars .
    Yes. Sheldrick and Roberts have both looked good from the start, and both look like winners. It's a shame about Sheldrick's injury. Hope has a solid 2nd half of the year. They were our 1st two picks in the draft, so there is some expectation that they will succeed in the AFL.

Sheather looked good in defence last week in the VFL and could also be a good one. Angus Anderson has looked okay as well and look forward to see how he develops and if we draft him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

This is my choice as well.

Veterans List
    KSAS said what I think many of us would like to see.

Ladhams has performed very well in Hickey's absence so we'll definitely go with the two ruck model from here. McDonald and McCartin back in goes without saying. Bell in reality provides very little so time to look at what Gould can deliver at senior level. JPK as Sub

Outs are obvious, Harry if he's sore shouldn't be risked, McLean makes way for McDonald, Reid makes way for Hickey, Bell has been getting games when he probably shouldn't have.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast