Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 8: the other games. The texta is still ready.

Trying to guess which coaches might be appointed where is real speculation - but it's still fun to try.

I tend to think GWS will try for Clarkson but, if I'm guessing, they won't get him. Maybe because it's where he's more needed, I think Clarko is more likely for the Suns than Giants (assuming he isn't ensnared in something to do with Tassie). Another potential destination for Clarko is Port. He was assistant coach there before he went to Hawthorn and he would be a great fit for their list.

For GWS, I think Nathan Buckley would be in the mix. I think Bucks has some connections in Sydney and might enjoy being out of the VFL fishbowl. I believe Bucks' partner is based in Albury. On the other hand his kids (Jett 15, Ayce 13) remain in Melbourne with their mum and so that might be a brake on him leaving Melbourne.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Trying to guess which coaches might be appointed where is real speculation - but it's still fun to try.

I tend to think GWS will try for Clarkson but, if I'm guessing, they won't get him. Maybe because it's where he's more needed, I think Clarko is more likely for the Suns than Giants (assuming he isn't ensnared in something to do with Tassie). Another potential destination for Clarko is Port. He was assistant coach there before he went to Hawthorn and he would be a great fit for their list.

For GWS, I think Nathan Buckley would be in the mix. I think Bucks has some connections in Sydney and might enjoy being out of the VFL fishbowl. I believe Bucks' partner is based in Albury. On the other hand his kids (Jett 15, Ayce 13) remain in Melbourne with their mum and so that might be a brake on him leaving Melbourne.
    Clarko is going to have his pick of any available spots:
    GWS. Pro's: Strong list. Negatives: Has to move interstate, low budget operation.
    GC. Pro's: Strong AFL backing. Negatives: Has to move interstate, low budget operation. Average List
    Port: Pro's: Strong list. Financially stable. Negatives: Has to move to Adelaide
    WC: Pro's. Powerhouse club. Negatives: Has to move interstate. Poor list.
    Norf: Pro's. Can relocate them to Tassie permanently. Negatives: Basketcase club and list.

Clarko is not superman. He still needs a good list for success.
    So if he's after premierships, he would choose between GWS and Port.
    If he's after money, he would choose GC with a lot of AFL cash in brown paper bags.
    If he's after a blue-chip club, he would choose WC, and ride out the rebuild.
    If he's a sucker for punishment he would choose Norf. But I think if the AFL had some balls, and said to Clarko you join Norf, and we will relocate Norf to Tassie in 2025. He would be interested in that.

Senior Player
    The Taswegians have stated many times they want a new club established there, not a transplanted club from the mainland.
    In the end it will be Tas government money that keeps their club afloat so they may get what they want.
    I don't think the AFL has the heart to close down North. Look at their history, for the last 40 years they've been about more
    clubs, not less.

I think the GWS announcement may force the Suns' hand earlier on Dew than they ideally would have liked. Its quite probable now that they may announce Dew's departure mid-season. My feeling is that Clarko is heading to GC. There is talent on their list but its underperforming.

Buckley has stated that a move interstate for him is unlikely for now due to family commitments. Pike is definitely in the mix for these jobs assuming he wants to jump back into the hot seat. I'm not so sure about Hird given his mental health issues after Essendon. If Port give Hinkley the heavho then he will be in demand - good, experienced operator. Same with Simpson at WCE.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234