Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 8: the other games. The texta is still ready.

Round 8: the other games. The texta is still ready.

After last week's round, I think we can safely cross out West Coast and North. Yes, I know, no surprises there, but it's probably wise to be a little bit cautious, with two thirds of the home and away season still to come. Strangely, North being a write off surprises me a bit more than West Coast. At the start of the season, I thought that West Coast were definitely heading in a downward direction and they were my favourites for the spoon. (I thought that Hawthorn and Collingwood were the other contenders, but this doesn't appear to be happening. Yet). On the other hand, I thought that North had the capacity to rise to mid-table obscurity, so I didn't really expect to be writing their season off after round 7. But hey, I can't say that I'm devastated by that turn of events.

Anyway, in this round, there's probably a chance to write off a few more teams. Tonight's match between Port and the Bulldogs is a case in point. While Port fans will be buoyed by two wins in a row, if they can't beat a Bont-free Bulldogs, then it's hard to see them recovering from 2/6. On the other hand, a win by over thirty points, should see them sneaking above the Bulldogs on percentage. And on the Bulldogs, last week I was curious whether Cody Weightman would attract some hardcore booing, after he stated that he considered staging for frees as part of his skill set. While I didn't see a single second of the game, I can't find any reports to say that it occurred: so I assume that it didn't. Which is interesting. Years ago, when the Goodes booing controversy was raging, the online apologists were always claiming that, oh no, the booing has nothing to with racism, it's just that he was caught staging for free kicks. Hmmm.

For some reason, there's two matches tonight. Though some people would be tempted to label Fremantle hosting North, as Fremantle having the bye. I must try and find when the bye joke was first made in Aussie rules football? I suspect it was the late 19th century, and if so, almost certainly St Kilda would have been mentioned. Anyway, Fremantle are at $1.10, which in the past, would've been a good reason to back their opposition; but they couldn't lose this, could they?

On Saturday, Richmond and Collingwood clash at the G. Probably the main interest there, is what sort of shape Dusty comes back in.

At the same time, we host the Suns. I'm a little nervous about this one. As someone who's suffered through many Suns games, it seems to me that they can occasionally put in a very good performance, in between longer spells of crappiness. Perhaps once in every four or five games. Their last such performance was four rounds ago, when they beat Carlton by 30 points. And with only two wins so far, it's probably already season on the line.

Possibly the same for GWS when they host Geelong at Manuka. If they go 2/6, do they really have the class to come back?

On Saturday night, Brisbane host the random collection of players known as the West Coast Eagles. Brisbane's biggest ever win against West Coast is 100 points in 1999 and their highest ever score was 173 in 2000.

The other night game is Essendon v Hawthorn. I don't know why I haven't already written Essendon off, but if they lose tonight, the texta's coming out.

The first Sunday game is Melbourne v St Kilda. Which means that if we beat the Suns, then we should be in the top four at the end of the round.

The end of the round is Carlton v Adelaide.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Very good observation on Weightman v Goodes, and not a single one of us are surprised.

I think the real joy of this round would be the Bombers winning. Not because I particularly like or dislike the Bombers, but it'd give Hawthorn fans a lesson in reality and a nice reminder of the long road ahead.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Very good observation on Weightman v Goodes, and not a single one of us are surprised.

I think the real joy of this round would be the Bombers winning. Not because I particularly like or dislike the Bombers, but it'd give Hawthorn fans a lesson in reality and a nice reminder of the long road ahead.
    Yes, it's very rarely that I find myself wishing that Hawthorn will win, and on those odd occasions, I feel disturbingly unclean.

Personally, I could live with Hawthorn finishing 10th in perpetuity.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

This post doesn't have a good home, but you have to read former footy player Dylan Buckley's Wikipedia page. Very funny.

Dylan Buckley - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This post doesn't have a good home, but you have to read former footy player Dylan Buckley's Wikipedia page. Very funny.

Some good lines in there. I wonder how long they will last, before being edited out? On the other hand, people might get inspired and turn it into a surreal epic?

Reminds me of years ago, when Optus stadium opened and Buddy kicked eight goals in the first match there. For a while, on the Wikipedia page of the stadium, its owner was listed as Lance Franklin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Personally, I could live with Hawthorn finishing 10th in perpetuity.
    Tenth is a bit higher than I would like. Then again, in perpetuity has a certain something. Like always being able to see your destination, but never arriving.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    There's a video on the AFL website about what's happening at the Eagles at the moment. The video's titled, "Fractured Culture: Have Standards Slipped at the Eagles?"

And here's me thinking that standards at that club couldn't have possible slipped any lower than they were when many Eagles players seemed to have active relationships with the Chemist Warehouse in the Noughties!

Anyhoo, would love to see the Power make things difficult for the Poodle's season tonight.
    Hate Norf, hoping for a Freo demolition job on them!
    Hope Dusty beats the Pies and the Giants beat the Cats.
    Couldn't possible care less about Bombers/Hawks.
    Lions should be 100+pt winners over the Eagles.
    Go Dees over the 'Aints and the Crows over the Vultures.

But, most of all, GO BLOODS!!!

Hate the cheating Dogs. Go Port. The free kick count is already in their favour. They stage for frees and get them too.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

That’s brilliant.

Not of that quality, but I was on the cans the day Clarko got sacked. Went onto his Wikipedia page and added something like: He made a tragic bet on the list at the end of 2018, deluding himself that they could reach for another flag. Instead, they went into sharp decline, and he became a befuddled old goose better known for punching walls. He lost his players, his marbles and his credibility, and soon enough Jeff Kennett did what he does best and sacked him.”

Then sent it to a mate of mine who supports the Hawks.

PS: I’m getting on the cans tonight too.

Wheels falling off the Bulldogs now. Good. Their staging appears to have got worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Shame that Bonner seems done for the night, though. I've liked his game tonight.

Veterans List
    Go Port.....finish them.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Weightman basically punched himself in the face by trying to bump Port’s ruckman and has injured his arm or shoulder, sitting in a sling on the bench. So sad to see …

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast