Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Suns.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nice to see the pics of the 2012 team: Lap of honour for 2012 heroes (sydneyswans.com.au). I see just about everyone made it. Macca and Shawry in the coaches box and Reid, Parker and Joey involved in playing (not that I sighted Reid at either game). ROK is the only one who's absence I can't account for. I hope that doesn't suggest any kind of a falling out. I struggled to recognise Morton but by process of elimination he has to be the one between Reg and Bird in the front row in the group pic.
    The Swans website article a few days before Saturday said Shaw Mumford and ROK had coaching commitments. Not sure how it turned out that Shaw (Suns development coach) and Mumford (GWS ruck coach) ended up making it

ROK is currently NSW/ACT’s Coaching Development and Education Lead which sounds more like a coaching director’s role than actual coaching

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Don’t ask what others think - as you so often do. Just buy the book yourself. Read it. Then you can offer your own opinion about it. That, I would be interested to hear.
    I got a pre-pub copy put into my hands, which varies slightly from the copy KTigers read - but we both took different things from the book. FWIW I saw his self focus, not as what was required to make it in the AFL, but the reason why he was unable to achieve the success his talent should have made achievable. The extreme aversion he expresses to team culture, would at the very least made it hard for him to reconcile with the Leading Teams philosophy/methodology that was such a feature of the Swans premiership teams.
    So tou too should read the book BS and see what you think - much better than reflecting others thought.

Nice to see the pics of the 2012 team: Lap of honour for 2012 heroes (sydneyswans.com.au). I see just about everyone made it. Macca and Shawry in the coaches box and Reid, Parker and Joey involved in playing (not that I sighted Reid at either game). ROK is the only one who's absence I can't account for. I hope that doesn't suggest any kind of a falling out. I struggled to recognise Morton but by process of elimination he has to be the one between Reg and Bird in the front row in the group pic.
    My Bouquet:
    I was surprised to see Adam Goodes, but absolutely delighted (I flt myself tear up) that his shocking treatment hadn't made it impossible for him to be a part of the day. What an outstanding man he is.

My Brick bat:
    The Swans marketing team. Their intrusive "game day experience" has coused considerable disgruntlement upon some Swans fans (and driven others away altogether). But when it comes to the ten year anniversary, their lack of effort was pretty pathetic.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    My Brick bat:
    The Swans marketing team. Their intrusive "game day experience" has coused considerable disgruntlement upon some Swans fans (and driven others away altogether). But when it comes to the ten year anniversary, their lack of effort was pretty pathetic.
    I hate this too! It sucked that when I asked them about it directly at the AGM Tom Harley said "we make no apologies" and that they are aware it is not universally popular but apparently they feel it works well at bringing new fans to the game.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

On the face of it, Tom's response screams arrogance, maybe he was in training to replace Hamish's idiot brother at AFL HQ?

Perhaps he could have added something like we are hoping to acquire more new fans than they will will exclude old fans. And so what if these new fans, leave games halfway though, or fail to stick tough like the old fans - the only metric that matters is money (just ask Gil).

I hate this too! It sucked that when I asked them about it directly at the AGM Tom Harley said "we make no apologies" and that they are aware it is not universally popular but apparently they feel it works well at bringing new fans to the game.
    I question if they have any evidence that relentless, ear-splitting music brings new fans to the footy. I suspect loud-music lovers go to concerts, gigs etc. for their entertainment not to football.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I question if they have any evidence that relentless, ear-splitting music brings new fans to the footy. I suspect loud-music lovers go to concerts, gigs etc. for their entertainment not to football.
    I'm in my late 20s and I find it an absolute blight on the game. They allow no time for you to talk to friends and fans about the game and build up natural atmosphere. Instead they have to fill every non-game moment with music and ads. Which means as soon as the music ends the crowd is quiet cause they've not been allowed to build up natural atmosphere as they're constantly beaten over the head with near white noise.

I'm not sure if its a Swans only focus. My memories of going to the MCG (pre-Covid) and Homebush was quite similar. May be an AFL directive?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

I'm not sure if its (loud music) a Swans only focus. My memories of going to the MCG (pre-Covid) and Homebush was quite similar. May be an AFL directive?
    I think you are right about it being an AFL directive. I could hear loud music blaring out through the TV at a match I was watching being played at Adelaide Oval last weekend. I’ve been to plenty of matches at Adelaide Oval pre-Covid and that used not to be the case.

Don't get me wrong I grew up in the "Jurassic Period of Pub Rock" and very glad to have done so - as the philosopher once said "this is it baby, over the top," but the game day excretiance they have created shows a complete lack of understanding (and disinterest) of the customers relationship to the product they are selling.

Harley assumes that the rusted on Swans fans won't cancel their memberships/stop attending. Football fans are even less likely to change their teams than customers are to change their bank. Which means all the new members/attendees the game day excretiance are pure cream - unless people like us actually start to be driven away.

Happy and I know it
    The excruciating noise is one of the reasons we don't go to the footy anymore. Members since 1996, we watch games on tv now with the volume turned down.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Senior Player
    There are several reasons I have decreased my attendance the last couple of years.
    Covid, of course, the unavoidable ageing process, the number of night games, the harder to find parking, but the bloody MUSIC!!!!
    There's the nail in the coffin.
    When do you get a chance to talk to your mates, to relive goals, to bemoan poor play?
    If we want to turn the atmosphere into twenty over cricket hysteria, so be it.
    I hope the next gen loves it and keep coming.
    I doubt it, but its such a wonderful game that they just might....and I may just be becoming an old curmudgeon.
    I do resent 'we make no apologies' though.

Suspended by the MRP
    Now ive seen everything

I think you are right about it being an AFL directive. I could hear loud music blaring out through the TV at a match I was watching being played at Adelaide Oval last weekend. I’ve been to plenty of matches at Adelaide Oval pre-Covid and that used not to be the case.
    Yes, it was only last season that Metricon went with the too loud to talk over, tedious commercial FM playlist. Probably the year before for the Gabba.