Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I have to admit at the end of 2020, I was as high on Stephens as anyone. He only played in patches or quarters, but boy the signs were good.

Personally, I thought he was good to very good in the first two rounds, and stiff to get ditched after one down game. There was clearly something there the coaches didn't like - and from ressie watchers, he's been up and down since.

My instinct is his issue is above the shoulders, and if he can sort it out, he'll be a star. His footballing talents are very special. So I'm not prepared to jump off him yet, but it's over to him.

As for goats, where I live these days, there's a few nearby five acre farms that are maintained simply by letting the goats march through on a feed. They really can clear anything - from lantana to all sorts of thicket. How quickly they strip a place is quite the sight.
    I think if you were “high on Stephens” you might have been smoking it wrong?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think if you were “high on Stephens” you might have been smoking it wrong?
    Trust me, I know how to smoke it right.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Totally agree on Stephens. In my opinion (which counts for sweet FA), I thought they should have left him in the seniors and backed him. Other players are getting more bad game comebacks than Stephens. I’m sure TB would agree.

I didn’t picture I’m-Uniformed2 as living in a regional setting. I thought you were a party boy who was constantly jetting around the parties of Vagas, LA, Miami, NYC, The Hamptons, Asben, Ibezia, Saint Tropez, Monaco, London, Paris, The Grand Prix circuit and the Rugby 7 circuit. Maybe you do all that.
    Dude, I love a party but I’d never been to your beloved Mimi’s, or heard of it, when I lived in Sydney - let alone get to Monaco. These days, Lennox Head is my speed.

I’ll grant you this. I did, many moons ago, go to Vegas and did my best to replicate Fear and Loathing. Driving over that ridge about 20 miles out when the distant lights first hit, with Sly and the Family Stone “I Wanna to Take You Higher” turned up to 11, is quite the blast.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 13th May 2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I don't think he is hard enough at the contest. Maybe they think he is not up to it defensively. He is looking like a trade out at the end the season even though he has a contract to the end of 2023.
    I tend to agree with Nico that he lacks the hardness we desperately need at present. Our lack of intensity at the ball and ability to win hard balls/contested possesions has been apparent this season, especially in first quarters, and its cost us dearly in several games. Stephens has shown an inability thus far in his career to win his own ball and stick tackles. If, and when, he improves in these areas he will return to the seniors. He reminds me of Paddy Dow at Carlton; another lightly built midfielder taken early in the draft. He is also languishing in the Reserves and is being touted as a trade out at season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

I’ll grant you this. I did, many moons ago, go to Vegas and did my best to replicate Fear and Loathing. Driving over that ridge about 20 miles out when the distant lights first hit, with Sly and the Family Stone “I Wanna to Take You Higher” turned up to 11, is quite the blast.
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert?
    Bats. Goats. This thread has had everything.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I agree about Ronke ...I think Barracuda hit the nail on the head that since Papley came back he's crowded the space for Ronke who's a similar player and perhaps led to a lack of confidence by him. That confidence he had in those promising games he had when he made his first appearance this year a handful of games back ...it was Ronke's energy that got us over the line in one of those games when things were looking bleak.
    The Ronke/Papley dynamic is loking a bit reminiscent of the McDonald/Franklin one.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Sorry in advance but I won’t be able to start a match thread when final teams are confirmed. Can someone else do it?

FWIW, I think this could be the Heeney 25 disposals, 2 goals show this week.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    A conga line of posters were lining up to in another thread to denounce TB’s assertion that James Bell be given a go in the senior midfield. They thought the idea was prosperous. TB held the line and insisted that JB be given an opportunity in the midfield.

The team comes out and it looks on team balance that JB will be playing significant midfield time.

TB has been proven correct in the face of serious pressure. That’s why I referred to TB as the oracle.
    This aged well.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314