Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Not sure if wicks is quite ready for a return. However I watched the ressies and he was actually very good. He only played forward, was very disciplined, was very energetic and despite a very close tag ended up with 15 touches and 8 tackles. He certainly looked like a player working specifically on his role for the seniors. It seems a bit different for Bell and Taylor who play midfield, get lots of touches when they will never play midfield for the seniors.
    Predictably they will drop Ronke for Wicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Predictably they will drop Ronke for Wicks.
    It would be a shame, as Ronke has been the best of our small forwards the past 2 weeks. I guess there's no dropping Hayward or Papley. But why should we drop any of our small forwards? I don't think we can pin the blame for our poor performance on them.

Off the top of my head, I would bring in Hickey, Gould, O'Riordan, Clarke and Amartey and drop Ladhams, Kennedy, McLean, Gulden and Campbell (all rested or managed, call it what you like). Play Blakey and Jmac through the midfield.

Pushing for Selection
    Apart from Hickey I don't think it any team changes matter much. Despite a softish draw so far we are ranked 7th in contested possessions differential with Melbourne Carlton Brisbane holding down the top 3 spots. We are also ranked 10th for I50 differential with Geelong Fremantle and Melbourne the top 3.
    I our 3 losses we have lost in both these categories. At this stage I don't think anyone in the reserves would make much difference. Hopefully in time Roberts and Sheldrick will.
    We beat Geelong despite only breaking even in contested possessions and being -18 for the inside 50 count. However that what largely due to accuracy - 17.5 vs 10.17.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by COB View Post
    Apart from Hickey I don't think it any team changes matter much. At this stage I don't think anyone in the reserves would make much difference. Hopefully in time Roberts and Sheldrick will.
    I have high hopes for those 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I have high hopes for those 2.
    I think that Roberts will be our Dawson replacement. just hope he does not go back to S.A. as well and I really rate Sheldrick.

Outs: McLean/McDonald and Kennedy (back to medi-sub). I can't make up my mind which tall to leave out. I think McLean is playing his role better but Logan has all the upside and I'm keen to get games into him. If Ladhams were a better mark I would say that Logan complements Buddy and the resting ruck better in the forward line.

Ins: Hickey and COR/Cunningham (depending on whether Harry has recovered from his injury)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Here's the two ins for this week

Tom Hickey played the full game in his return from a knee injury and dominated with 23 disposals, four marks, 26 hitouts, six clearances and a goal, while Colin O’Riordan was near impassable at half-back with 32 and six marks

On the veteran's list
    Cunningham will come back if fit. I’d put Stephens on a wing and leave him there for a month. He’s part of the future where as blokes like Ronke, Bell, Wicks, COR are not.

BTW I noticed BOC virtually double his career disposals last weekend!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Cunningham will come back if fit. I’d put Stephens on a wing and leave him there for a month. He’s part of the future where as blokes like Ronke, Bell, Wicks, COR are not.

BTW I noticed BOC virtually double his career disposals last weekend!
    O'Riordan theoretically fills a need more than ever before, but we have tried him many times with the same results. Anyway, if Cunningham isn't fit, and Gould still isn't ready, I'd rather Fox, who has good closing speed and a decent leap and defensive punch.

I get what you mean about Stephens, but if developing his confidence in the vfl is being perceived by the coaches as beneficial then I'm happy to go with that, because every time he's promoted he lacks it.

The only inclusion that would reliably make a difference is Hickey whose intelligence and commitment is sorely needed.

My apologies but I havent actually watched the full Suns game as I was playing soccer at the same time. After catching part of the last quarter, I have decided not to watch a replay. Therefore, I don't quite have the insight of others. However, I would like to see how a Hickey/Ladhams combo would work.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    My apologies but I havent actually watched the full Suns game as I was playing soccer at the same time. After catching part of the last quarter, I have decided not to watch a replay. Therefore, I don't quite have the insight of others. However, I would like to see how a Hickey/Ladhams combo would work.
    I would've thought very well. Ladhams has found his mojo and would be good in providing a contest in forward 50 and may be able to bring more balls down to the ground. Hickey we know provides a lot of variations in the ruck and even though Ladhams has been good, Hickeys ruck work will be an upgrade. And Ladhams in f50 may also be an upgrade on McLean in his current form.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    O'Riordan theoretically fills a need more than ever before, but we have tried him many times with the same results. Anyway, if Cunningham isn't fit, and Gould still isn't ready, I'd rather Fox, who has good closing speed and a decent leap and defensive punch.
    Fox is only just returning from a long injury lay off. He is fit but rusty. O'Riordan is in form. I think Colin has been ok (without being more than that - albeit in an unglamorous back pocket kind of a role) at a AFL level.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    I would've thought very well. Ladhams has found his mojo and would be good in providing a contest in forward 50 and may be able to bring more balls down to the ground. Hickey we know provides a lot of variations in the ruck and even though Ladhams has been good, Hickeys ruck work will be an upgrade. And Ladhams in f50 may also be an upgrade on McLean in his current form.
    As good as Ladhams has been, we have really missed Hickey.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Fox is only just returning from a long injury lay off. He is fit but rusty. O'Riordan is in form. I think Colin has been ok (without being more than that - albeit in an unglamorous back pocket kind of a role) at a AFL level.
    I like COR, he will compete and provide a bit of grunt.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast