Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

I'm looking at things differently from last weekend to this weekend.

The questions we answered were

- Can Ladhams ruck against a tall, tier 1 ruck. No! We needed Hickey
    - Can we bomb the ball into the half forward without McClean - No! when he is playing 2nd ruck our forwards are not able to bring the ball to ground and easy exit to opposition.
    - While we have a second gear. We don't seem to be able to use in against the Suns. (Effort was down or is that a result of 2 x 6 days break vs 7 & 6 day break)
    - Who is played ans starts in the middle needs to be better considered. Some players are not 1st preference however we seem to use them frequently against the sides below us on the ladder. Understand we need to allow them to grow. But...
    - Suns have serious players and can run. Given confidence, can match the best. We allowed them to get confidence and appears the Swans don't take them seriously.
    - Tagging is missing this year and we don't have a run with player on the ground.
    - Clean ball control is lacking. NOt sure why this skill is so different from week to week. Don't believe the Suns to be a high pressure team
    - Umpiring. You don't give away frees if you are clean and have the ball typically. Therefore the lack of ball control (and self control) needs to be improved.
    Etc..

Therefore what to change this week

Hickey in possibly for McDonald Depending on the weather. (McDonald plays under's when Buddy is playing. Don't try and keep out of his way. Take over a space and demand the ball!

Hopefully we don't have as many players down against a surging Bomber outfit!

Wicks has not impressed in the seconds for what I have seen and needs to raise put his hand up high

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    My apologies but I havent actually watched the full Suns game as I was playing soccer at the same time. After catching part of the last quarter, I have decided not to watch a replay. Therefore, I don't quite have the insight of others. However, I would like to see how a Hickey/Ladhams combo would work.
    I like the idea of the Hickey/Ladhams combo....and dropping McLean. Hickey takes the bulk of the ruckwork and Ladhams takes McLeans spot in the forward line. He was a forward/ruck at Port. Worth a try, especially seeing McLean has not been offering much in the last two games.

Leave McDonald in to hopefully progress at the highest level.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I said at the start of the year our starting four talls should be Hickey, Buddy, Logan and Ladhams.

I hope that is where we go this week with them all available. Ladhams simply shows more than enough, and will only get better the more he plays. He's 24, but didn't play a lot of first ruck at Port so is still learning some of the craft, but as long as his effort is there, keep playing him, work him, skill him up and let him be a more than capable second banana. His contested endeavours are excellent, he's got good skills around the ground and can serve as an effective tall forward.

As for Logan, he's now at the point where we simply need to keep playing him whilst his body allows. There will be times he needs to be managed, which is fine for a young KPP; he's in Buddy's shadow (as anyone would be), and he'll flash in and out a bit. But some of the plays he's produced at times the last few weeks suggest a young guy growing in confidence and all the talent in the world. As much as he hit the scoreboard more in his first few games last year, he's got a wider repertoire this year. That field kicking for one is pretty damn special for a bloke his size. Play him to teach him - and the long-term reward will be enormous.

Amarty and McLean will roll through the side when injuries happen, someone needs a rest etc. But they should be the starting premise four.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Out: Bud (rested), McLean, Campbell, JPK

In: Amartey, Hickey, COR, Gould or Stephens. Matty Roberts played another solid game too.

Bud had a dreadful match last week, giving 5 frees away. Needs to rét and refocus. McLean has been good up until last week. He was a little down, second to the contest. Campbell could be retained but not back. That experiment is becoming costly. JPK was down last week. I mean I could have picked on Parker here too but he was actually good last week. About half the team were rotten on the weekend. I mean if push comes to shove Campbell to the forward pocket to replace Will would be just as good. The ball is not getting into his hands therefore negating the huge asset he is as a kicker.

I hope we actually come to play this week. If not play the reserves. Thấy actually want to play

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Not sure if wicks is quite ready for a return. However I watched the ressies and he was actually very good. He only played forward, was very disciplined, was very energetic and despite a very close tag ended up with 15 touches and 8 tackles. He certainly looked like a player working specifically on his role for the seniors. It seems a bit different for Bell and Taylor who play midfield, get lots of touches when they will never play midfield for the seniors.
    I don't know why they won't play Bell in the mids in the seniors. He is better there than forward. His main problem is disposal. If he can clean that up he would be good

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't know why they won't play Bell in the mids in the seniors. He is better there than forward. His main problem is disposal. If he can clean that up he would be good

Never gets a chance ! Its dead wrong

I think it is interesting that Ben Ronke has had two quiet weeks. Based on my observation in the games he played when Papley was not there he was far deeper into the forward line, attacking and kicked more goals. Once Papley was there Ronke has played much higher up the field, with far less opportunities. At the end of the day we generally measure forwards on scoring with things like tackles or pressure acts a distant second, and I do feel for Ronke as fans are now criticizing him when he was only following the team plan. In my view he is much more of a Papley type player and in fact on form was going better than Papley at it. However he has now been pushed up field for the defensive forward role, that I think is not his best contribution. I actually think Ronke could become a much more valuable player if he was able to play the deeper papley type role.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

One major reason Wolf- not good enough. Admittedly he has been HF or on the wing in the run of games he’s had, but unfortunately showed no signs that he would make it as a mid. I’m assuming he has played there in the ressies and his possession count was healthy, but that doesn’t translate to the seniors. We have better options who should be given some games.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Never gets a chance ! Its dead wrong
    Happy to see your sense of humour is back TB! So much more pleasant to hear your witty comments- love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please explain how two successive posts above have the same count? Not too fussed, just curious!

I think it is interesting that Ben Ronke has had two quiet weeks. Based on my observation in the games he played when Papley was not there he was far deeper into the forward line, attacking and kicked more goals. Once Papley was there Ronke has played much higher up the field, with far less opportunities. At the end of the day we generally measure forwards on scoring with things like tackles or pressure acts a distant second, and I do feel for Ronke as fans are now criticizing him when he was only following the team plan. In my view he is much more of a Papley type player and in fact on form was going better than Papley at it. However he has now been pushed up field for the defensive forward role, that I think is not his best contribution. I actually think Ronke could become a much more valuable player if he was able to play the deeper papley type role.
    All the forwards had a quiet week. In fact, the Swans' offense had a quiet week. It was more than quiet; it was tranquilizing. I don't know why Ronke has been singled out for criticism. At least Nico put the torch to Hayward, even though I disagree. Except for that nice goal he kicked, Papley hasn't done much since he returned. But we are all happy to give him time to pick up the pace of the game.

There is so much wrong with the way we are playing it's hard to know where to start. We are not winning enough ball in the midfield and we're turning it over far too much. We just can't win games like that, and our forward line isn't going to be looking too good with the unimaginative ball movement forward.

I think the blame should fall on the coaching staff rather than the players. Perhaps with 2 consecutive short weeks it's hard to make adjustments. So that falls on the unfavourable fixture we got from the AFL. Longmire intimated that we needed to look at our preparation coming off short weeks, which is something I wanted before we even went into the short weeks. We also need to batten down the game plan to better adjust to opposition defenses, so we don't get dominated and drop out of the game before halftime.

There was this perplexing line from the injury report. Maybe it's time for Harry to see the doc:

The club is still yet to diagnose the hip/abdomen problem suffered by Cunningham against Brisbane in round seven.

There was no mention of Sheather, who went out after halftime with a back complaint. I hope he's okay, because he's been playing well since moving into defence.

I wouldn't mind seeing COR and Clarke into the side this week. Both look to be in good form. I'm sure some regulars could use a week off. As Wolftone suggested, Buddy had a bad one and could also use a week off. We have another 6 day break after this game, so we might look to rest players that look tired, rather than have them play another lethargic game.

Veterans List
    I agree with this. Play Ronke close to goal....he's a proven goal kicker. So is Paps but he's rusty, so get him into the midfield and get him involved. He can rest in the forward line but maybe on a flank for the time being to keep Ronke close to goal.

There will come a time when they will both terrorise opposing defenders close to goal together but Paps needs to find form first. The match committees assumption that Paps would be instantly effective in his first match back has proven to be hopeful and short sighted.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Happy to see your sense of humour is back TB! So much more pleasant to hear your witty comments- love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please explain how two successive posts above have the same count? Not too fussed, just curious!
    Was i wrong ? Can you give me an example of where Bell has been given a chance in the mids ?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast