Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

I agree that a lot of the “lethargy” could be due to overtraining during short weeks. It is hard to imagine that the majority of our players can lose form at the same time and appear listless. Horse and co need to have a good look at themselves and maybe lighten up the training. They need to help our blokes get their enthusiasm back and to enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Was i wrong ? Can you give me an example of where Bell has been given a chance in the mids ?
    True, he hasn’t played in the mids, but he’s played on the wing- not the same, I know. The trouble with Bell is that he doesn’t handle the ball cleanly and is indecisive when he does get it. His disposals are not very good.

We may as well play Clarke, who does rack up possessions in midfield, as his delivery is no worse than Bell’s.
    But if you think Bell deserves a shot in the mid, please support your argument with something specific, rather than just saying he hasn’t had a chance! The spot has to be earned.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    True, he hasn’t played in the mids, but he’s played on the wing- not the same, I know. The trouble with Bell is that he doesn’t handle the ball cleanly and is indecisive when he does get it. His disposals are not very good.

We may as well play Clarke, who does rack up possessions in midfield, as his delivery is no worse than Bell’s.
    But if you think Bell deserves a shot in the mid, please support your argument with something specific, rather than just saying he hasn’t had a chance! The spot has to be earned.
    Is getting 30 odd every week in the 2s not enough for you ? How else is he supposed to earn it !

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There was this perplexing line from the injury report. Maybe it's time for Harry to see the doc:

The club is still yet to diagnose the hip/abdomen problem suffered by Cunningham against Brisbane in round seven.

From todays press conference on the official site, Longmire said Cunningham would likely be out till after the bye with an abdominal strain.

Is getting 30 odd every week in the 2s not enough for you ? How else is he supposed to earn it !
    If that's the case you want to make for Bell, then you've made even a stronger case for Clarke and Taylor to come into the senior midfield. What would you think about that? How would you rank Clarke, Bell and Taylor as midfielders?

I can't see Bell replacing Mills or Parker in the midfield, so that would mean that Bell moves ahead of Warner as our 3rd inside mid and Chad goes to the wing, I suppose. I'm not too keen on that move, as Chad provides that much needed burst of power from centre stoppages.

I would love to see Bell succeed, but he just hasn't performed very well at AFL level, and he's probably been given more chances than most of our fringe players to prove himself. I would like to see Bell string together some dominant performances in the VFL before giving him another go at AFL level. He needs to show that his game has moved to a higher level and it's not going to be the same old thing if he's elevated.

Suspended by the MRP
    If that's the case you want to make for Bell, then you've made even a stronger case for Clarke and Taylor to come into the senior midfield. What would you think about that? How would you rank Clarke, Bell and Taylor as midfielders?

I can't see Bell replacing Mills or Parker in the midfield, so that would mean that Bell moves ahead of Warner as our 3rd inside mid and Chad goes to the wing, I suppose. I'm not too keen on that move, as Chad provides that much needed burst of power from centre stoppages.

I would love to see Bell succeed, but he just hasn't performed very well at AFL level, and he's probably been given more chances than most of our fringe players to prove himself. I would like to see Bell string together some dominant performances in the VFL before giving him another go at AFL level. He needs to show that his game has moved to a higher level and it's not going to be the same old thing if he's elevated.
    Clarkes had his chance . Taylor i 'd give a go also . Why are him and Bell forbidden from being given a go in the mids while others are no better but keep their spot every week ? It is favouritism

Clarkes had his chance . Taylor i 'd give a go also . Why are him and Bell forbidden from being given a go in the mids while others are no better but keep their spot every week ? It is favouritism
    Clarke and Taylor have hardly played since 2020. Bell has been the one given the most chances. Clarke and Bell are working hard in the VFL side. Taylor gets possessions, but plays like a man who knows that he's getting delisted. His disposal has been poor and he doesn't play with the energy he had in days past. I feel bad for Taylor. It turned out to be a poor move for him coming to the Swans. It hasn't helped his career and he hasn't helped the Swans. A bit of bad luck on both sides.

Our midfield is a work in progress. We have had lots of players rotating through the midfield.Here are the CBAs from last week:

Sydney 22 – Peter Ladhams 18, Luke Parker 17, Callum Mills 16, Chad Warner 13, James Rowbottom 9, Tom Papley 6, Hayden McLean 4, Josh P Kennedy 2, Justin McInerney 1, Isaac Heeney 1, Errol Gulden 1.

I looks about right to me, although we had less variety than usual. Florent played mostly in defence and JMac looked tired last game. I think we tried to get Papley in the game a bit more. Like previously posted, Mills, Parker and Warner look like the top 3 for now. The rest will be a mix and match from week to week, depending if we are looking for defensive matchups or more burst from stoppages. I think we are all watching and learning.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 10th May 2022 at 09:07 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Clarke and Taylor have hardly played since 2020. Bell has been the one given the most chances.

Our midfield is a work in progress. We have had lots of players rotating through the midfield.Here are the CBAs from last week:

Sydney 22 – Peter Ladhams 18, Luke Parker 17, Callum Mills 16, Chad Warner 13, James Rowbottom 9, Tom Papley 6, Hayden McLean 4, Josh P Kennedy 2, Justin McInerney 1, Isaac Heeney 1, Errol Gulden 1.

I looks about right to me, although we had less variety than usual. Florent played mostly in defence and JMac looked tired last game. I think we tried to get Papley in the game a bit more. Like previously posted, Mills, Parker and Warner look like the top 3 for now. The rest will be a mix and match from week to week, depending if we are looking for defensive matchups or more burst from stoppages. I think we are all watching and learning.
    Bell has not had any chances in the midfield ! Some of those have had their go and havent showed anything so its only fair others get their turn !

Would go with Rowbottom everyday of the week over Bell.

Clarke hasn’t had any chances this year. He and Squizzy should get a go in the mids before Bell. The possessions in the ressies need to be coupled with effectiveness before you would consider a recall.

Bell has not had any chances in the midfield ! Some of those have had their go and havent showed anything so its only fair others get their turn !
    I would give Campbell, Lloyd, Hayward and Ronke a go in the midfield before Bell. Why can't we let Bell show a bit more at half forward, a position he has played both at VFL and AFL levels, before trying him in a position where there is close to nil likelihood of holding a spot, especially with Roberts and Sheldrick ready to get look ins in the near future?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Clarke hasn’t had any chances this year. He and Squizzy should get a go in the mids before Bell. The possessions in the ressies need to be coupled with effectiveness before you would consider a recall.
    Effectiveness

Ha ha !

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast