Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    When Bell got to play with the ressies before he was drafted, he played as a small forward. He is listed by the club as a forward and has generally played forward or on the wing except when we are short of midfielders in the reserves. We usually prefer playing listed players in the midfield in preference to forward so they can get more of the ball. It's not necessarily intended to prepare them to play midfield in the AFL side. Dawson and Lloyd both played mostly on ball in the reserves, and at a very high level too, but rarely got to play on ball in the AFL.

Players are not playing at their own positional preferences, but rather at the behest of the coaches. I doubt if Bell would feel comfortable playing at AFL level in the midfield. He knows that he's not quite up to the task. Roberts, Clarke, Stephens, Taylor and Sheldrick are all getting more time on ball than Bell in the reserves. I think that is more reflective of his ranking as a reserves midfielder. I would love to see Bell play well enough to hold any spot in the senior side. But let's not set the bar higher when he hasn't yet gotten over the low bar.
    +1

So, to summarise - TheBloods thinks that James Bell should be picked in the midfield over James Rowbottom. No one else agrees. It’s a different episode of the same tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    It's true in a certain way...if you want to compare where did Wicks play in the reserves last week...I know Wicks has played midfield before in reserves but he's been kept in the forwards in reserves. I do think Bell tends to play a lot of midfield when he's not in firsts so maybe he should be up for a chance...
    I am Bell's biggest advocate on here..I'd like to see your idea given a go
    Bell may play midfield in the ressies, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is entitled to play in this position in the firsts. As you are one of his biggest advocates, please tell us how you could fit him in- who would you leave out to give him a chance? Also, as his advocate, please name the skills that he has shown in the games he’s had that justify such a move. TB’s claim is that he hasn’t been given a fair go as he’s been played out of his best position- this may be true, but if you can succeed as a midfielder, I suggest you can do reasonably well as a forward. Unfortunately for Bell, he hasn’t shown an indication that he could handle midfield

Veteran Site Admin
    As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, one of the necessary attributes of an inside midfielder is the ability to cleanly pick the ball off the ground, often at pace, and to dispose of the ball almost immediately. One of Bell's weaknesses (displayed at senior level playing across half-forward) is an inability to reliably pick the ball off the ground, even in space and not especially at pace. It's probably the key thing that is holding him back.

I have a bit of a soft spot for him, and would love to see him "succeed" but I suspect he's going to remain a fringe player (playing across half-forward when he does get opportunities) until there are younger options (with potentially more upside) to play that fringe forward role, and he is moved on. Despite what Brandon Jack and Tony Armstrong have to say, I consider it a not insignificant achievement to have played even one AFL game, let alone several dozen.

I'd love to be wrong but am still waiting for him to develop those clean ball-handling skills.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Liz’s post is a good one.

I’d like to see Bell succeed too, I think his endeavour is good, he never shirks a contest, he’d be a good clubman and he’s a good depth player so please put what I say in that context. It’s why I disliked the focus on him after the GWS final, as it was hardly him alone.

But when he plays the half forward role, he often slides up to the contest, but doesn’t really display the attributes of an AFL level midfielder. As Liz said, he’s not as clean as is ideal, nor does he have natural instincts at clearances. I’ve posted something on this before: but I am not certain what he is at AFL level. He’s not quite a forward, and he’s not quite a midfielder.

I get The Bloods point, up to a point, and I get that there’s a difference between starting as a mid, and drifting into general play now and then under a role that emphasises structure over output, but Bell’s case would be stronger if he’d done a bit more to make his case.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Bell may play midfield in the ressies, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is entitled to play in this position in the firsts. As you are one of his biggest advocates, please tell us how you could fit him in- who would you leave out to give him a chance? Also, as his advocate, please name the skills that he has shown in the games he’s had that justify such a move. TB’s claim is that he hasn’t been given a fair go as he’s been played out of his best position- this may be true, but if you can succeed as a midfielder, I suggest you can do reasonably well as a forward. Unfortunately for Bell, he hasn’t shown an indication that he could handle midfield
    I didn't say I'd select him ahead of someone else currently in the mids in the top side ...I simply said he probably does deserve a go in the mids maybe when we rest a player or two...if only to see how he goes...that is where he plays in the reserves as thebloods point out.
    It seems like a host of players in our side go through the mids at certain stages and he couldnt't do any worse than some of the efforts the last few weeks .

He hasn't not shown an indication-maybe what he needs is somewhere where he can actually have more involvement and to show his physicality...he's quite physical...mids could suit him.

And one thing I know when he's in the team there's pressure and the ball doesn't rebound so quickly as it does at the moment from the forward half.

I really don't enjoy the way he's always the fall guy even when he's not playing

Veterans List
    Bell has no standout attributes and at senior level is found wanting in most areas. Any suggestion he could play midfield is laughable.

I like his story, but he isn't going to make it, and I'm not sure how he keeps getting selected.

We got a roasting on AFL360 tonight where they exposed all that is poor about us this year. I just had to nod in agreement. We need to lift significantly IMO or we could slide out of finals contention. This could be a year we regress before we next move forward.

If Bell is playing midfield, we might as well start tanking for a higher draft pick....................

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If Bell is playing midfield, we might as well start tanking for a higher draft pick....................
    Unfortunately when he plays, he is near the bottom of our bottom 6. This is the area that helps differentiate a top side from an also ran. As Liz so clearly pointed out, Bell lacks certain skills needed to elevate him from bottom 6 level.
    TB’s and Joeykangas’ positions seem reasonable: give him a go in midfied. But this is based on his performance in the ressies only, and the level is so different that it really is irrelevant. Even if he performs well in the twos, I would rather we give an opportunity to some of our younger players as we all know what we can expect from JB, and sadly it is not good enough if we want to become a top side. AFL is a tough business.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Unfortunately when he plays, he is near the bottom of our bottom 6. This is the area that helps differentiate a top side from an also ran. As Liz so clearly pointed out, Bell lacks certain skills needed to elevate him from bottom 6 level.
    TB’s and Joeykangas’ positions seem reasonable: give him a go in midfied. But this is based on his performance in the ressies only, and the level is so different that it really is irrelevant. Even if he performs well in the twos, I would rather we give an opportunity to some of our younger players as we all know what we can expect from JB, and sadly it is not good enough if we want to become a top side. AFL is a tough business.
    So your saying RB has reached his pinnacle in development and Bell has a lot more 'upside'?

Didn’t Tom Mitchell get 50 odd in the twos and still not get a game?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So your saying RB has reached his pinnacle in development and Bell has a lot more 'upside'?
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion Stevo- maybe I’m smoking something I shouldn’t!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast