Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

I think the selection of wicks and bell vs ronke and mclean is more about where the midfield is at. Wicks and Bell bring a greater ability to hold or slow the ball in the forward line. This enables the mids to get a breather and more importantly re-group. Unfortunately the more attacking forward line with Papley, Ronke and McLean leaves the mids exposed on turnover with the opposition half backs moving the ball with speed through our mids, putting our backline under enormous pressure.

This approach was very successfully implemented by the swans last year and I imagine Longmire wants to return to a winning formula.

Our own backline setup follows this model exactly with Blakey and Campbell there to move the ball with great speed from turnover to our forward line, bypassing the opposition mids and opening up our forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think the selection of wicks and bell vs ronke and mclean is more about where the midfield is at. Wicks and Bell bring a greater ability to hold or slow the ball in the forward line. This enables the mids to get a breather and more importantly re-group. Unfortunately the more attacking forward line with Papley, Ronke and McLean leaves the mids exposed on turnover with the opposition half backs moving the ball with speed through our mids, putting our backline under enormous pressure.

This approach was very successfully implemented by the swans last year and I imagine Longmire wants to return to a winning formula.

Our own backline setup follows this model exactly with Blakey and Campbell there to move the ball with great speed from turnover to our forward line, bypassing the opposition mids and opening up our forward line.
    THAT, is an excellent observation but I prefer Ronke over Bell

I think it is interesting that Ben Ronke has had two quiet weeks. Based on my observation in the games he played when Papley was not there he was far deeper into the forward line, attacking and kicked more goals. Once Papley was there Ronke has played much higher up the field, with far less opportunities. At the end of the day we generally measure forwards on scoring with things like tackles or pressure acts a distant second, and I do feel for Ronke as fans are now criticizing him when he was only following the team plan. In my view he is much more of a Papley type player and in fact on form was going better than Papley at it. However he has now been pushed up field for the defensive forward role, that I think is not his best contribution. I actually think Ronke could become a much more valuable player if he was able to play the deeper papley type role.

Real quality contributions, barracuda. Much appreciated and good food for thought.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    This is the sort of thing that has lead me to spend five minutes a day on this site now rather than the possibly unhealthy amount of time I spent previously.
    That and the unrelated drivel that people seem to think belong in threads about previous, current and future games.
    If BS thinks TB is an oracle for suggesting JB gets a run in the position he was drafted to play and, from what I understand where he is playing in the VFL, then how forward thinking were we picking him up as a Cat B rookie.
    You shouldnt worry about this stuff . End of the day we are all talking footy . I am a nuffy who calls it like i see it , good and bad, sometimes i will be right and other times i will be miles off . I reckon this joint works best when we take each comment for what it is . If someone is critical of a swan it doesn 't mean they hate them , & if someone is positive about a swan it doesn 't make them an oracle who discovered their talent !

Veterans List
    What specifically is keeping COR out of the senior side when there is a vacancy for him with Harry missing for weeks and Campbell rested?

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    This is the sort of thing that has lead me to spend five minutes a day on this site now rather than the possibly unhealthy amount of time I spent previously.
    That and the unrelated drivel that people seem to think belong in threads about previous, current and future games.
    If BS thinks TB is an oracle for suggesting JB gets a run in the position he was drafted to play and, from what I understand where he is playing in the VFL, then how forward thinking were we picking him up as a Cat B rookie.
    A conga line of posters were lining up to in another thread to denounce TB’s assertion that James Bell be given a go in the senior midfield. They thought the idea was prosperous. TB held the line and insisted that JB be given an opportunity in the midfield.

The team comes out and it looks on team balance that JB will be playing significant midfield time.

TB has been proven correct in the face of serious pressure. That’s why I referred to TB as the oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    A conga line of posters.
    Now that would be a sight to see. Maybe they could do a lap of the SCG at quarter time to Sweet Caroline!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You shouldnt worry about this stuff . End of the day we are all talking footy . I am a nuffy who calls it like i see it , good and bad, sometimes i will be right and other times i will be miles off . I reckon this joint works best when we take each comment for what it is . If someone is critical of a swan it doesn 't mean they hate them , & if someone is positive about a swan it doesn 't make them an oracle who discovered their talent !
    Good explanation on what you're on about. I think we should all take this in and respond to your posts accordingly and without malice,.

A conga line of posters were lining up to in another thread to denounce TB’s assertion that James Bell be given a go in the senior midfield. They thought the idea was prosperous. TB held the line and insisted that JB be given an opportunity in the midfield.

The team comes out and it looks on team balance that JB will be playing significant midfield time.

TB has been proven correct in the face of serious pressure. That’s why I referred to TB as the oracle.
    I know you are just being provocative. It takes real talent to be so irritating. But not everyone finds it as amusing as I do. Take into consideration the balance of your pleasure versus the angst of others. We also don't want to drive folks off RWO.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    What specifically is keeping COR out of the senior side when there is a vacancy for him with Harry missing for weeks and Campbell rested?
    A good question, but one without answers. One of the great mysteries of the footy universe.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    All good Stevo- now that Bell (and Wicks!) are in, let’s smoke that stuff together!😊

Veterans List
    Wow TB. The oracle has done it again.

No body else mentioned Bell for midfield. I can’t see where else Bell plays.

Papley and Wicks are the small forwards. No room for Bell as a small forward.

They have not brought in an extra small backmen to replace Campbell. That role could be shared between Florent and J-Mac.

There is a midfield place or wing play open and it looks like Bell will play there.

I thought Chad and J-Mac predictions early in 2021 were outstanding, but predicting Bell for the midfield is simply amazing forward thinking.
    Seriously.

Veterans List

Talk about 'crystal ball' stuff. Let's see where Bell actually plays first shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Talk about 'crystal ball' stuff. Let's see where Bell actually plays first shall we?
    Bell’s not going to play in defence. Papley and Wicks are playing the small forward roles?

Where else is Bell going to play apart from wing or midfield?