Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Senior Player

Round 9 pre-game thread, vs Bombers at SCG, 7:25 PM

Up against the Bombers who put on 8 goals in the final quarter vs the Hawks.

Currently, we are 5th, and on the same points as 4th, 6th and 7th. Geelong (4th) take on St Kilda (6th). Carlton play Adelaide, and Richmond (8th) play Hawthorn. If we lose and Carlton ad Richmond win, we will slip to 7th (if Geelong win) or 8th (if St Kilda win).

Melbourne have WCE, Fremantle the Suns and Brisbane have Adelaide, and should increase their percentage gap over us (as well as being 8+ points ahead).

Dangerous times!

So ins and outs?

McDonald didn't do that well apart from one great field kick, but we need another target if Buddy isn't firing again. Papley wasn't great, but will improve towards normal ability with the continuity.

Ins: Hickey (if fit, otherwise, Almartey), Reid
    Outs: McLean, Hayward

Would also be happy to have one of Campbell, Gulden and McInerney rested (managed) and give Stephens or Clarke a run from HB.

Suspended by the MRP
    Why are you bringing in a tall Reid to replace Hayward ?

Out - @@@@house effort
    In - something approach a 4 quarter performance.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ins and outs dont really matter the side on the weekend was just about our strongest apart from Hickey.

If we play with the same intensity we did against GCS Essendon will roll us and our prospects of being a top 8 side will fade.

I think there might be a big change for this game after the last 2 poor performances. I tend to think that our midfield and its lack of intensity and toughness has been where our problems start. Opposition teams are beating us at contested possessions, clearances, centre breaks, and are blocking the corridor to prevent our forward rebounds. We need to find an answer, and it starts in the middle. So we have to look at what changes can make in this area.

Given the above, there has to be a big chance that Joey is dropped (sadly). Move someone into the midfield who has Joey's toughness but has more pace. We need a linebreaker in there who can get things started. We have Chad but we need more. I know he has been great since moving to defense, but is it worth giving the Lizard more license to go into the midfield and use his toughness and pace to set up more forward plays? O'Reardon could come in to cover him at the back.

In O'Reardon, Hickey
    Out Kennedy, McLean

Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    Ins and outs dont really matter the side on the weekend was just about our strongest apart from Hickey.

If we play with the same intensity we did against GCS Essendon will roll us and our prospects of being a top 8 side will fade.
    Ins and outs don’t matter but the positions they play matter. Stop playing players out of position. It’s great when they come off but surely the ones tried recently haven’t worked.

Florent in midfield please otherwise if there is no spot for him there then he can be in the VFL.

Kennedy and Rowbottom choose one if we have to. But please Kennedy not on the wing or in half back

Gulden in forward half not on the wing.
    Stop using Heeney to plug holes cause some out of position players cannot do their jobs. He is an asset to score forward half goals and assists let him do that.

Callum Mills to stop tagging and hunt the ball. If he is only doing the tag we cannot afford it.

It seems like We need to rest a couple of players - Campbell/Florent/Parker - they are just not playing to the potential - if it is injury that’s holding them back then let’s rest them.

Ins - Hickey, Wicks, Oriordan/Stephens/Clarke/Roberts
    Outs - McLean, Ronke, Kennedy

Regular in the Side
    Our playing styles and plans are quite "consistent" and therefore has become "predictable". Many mid - low ranked teams are often inspired to beat us as a "check and measure" to see how their teams are progressing. One way to beat the Swans is matching us on intensity. They will match us one on one and try to suffocate our ball movement. Gold Coast has succeeded. The Boomers players will be very keen to show that they are not one-game-wonder and will mentally switched on to apply maximum effort and intensity to beat us. The "depth' players that came in this round to replace the sick ones against Hawthorn actually brought their total commitment and eventually success!

We need changes and perhaps some surprises. One way to do this is adding some new players. They may lack experience and be less skillful comparing to the regulars but they won't lack motivation and willingness to fight .

Perhaps we should have Hickey, Oriordan, Wicks and Clarke to replace McLean, Llyod, Ronke and Kennedy (change to Med Sub).

Veterans List
    Do something please - it hasn't looked good against GC, Bris and even the hapless Norf who everyone has rogered except for us!

The loss of Dawson is much bigger than many on here want to admit, will win the Crows B&F. Makes me sad when I see him doing great things for them.

Hickey back to tandem with Ladhams and McLean dropped will strengthen the rucking significantly without taking much away from the forward set up.

Maybe bring COR into the backlines, push Ollie up to the wing, Gulden to HF, Ronke out?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think there might be a big change for this game after the last 2 poor performances. I tend to think that our midfield and its lack of intensity and toughness has been where our problems start. Opposition teams are beating us at contested possessions, clearances, centre breaks, and are blocking the corridor to prevent our forward rebounds. We need to find an answer, and it starts in the middle. So we have to look at what changes can make in this area.

Given the above, there has to be a big chance that Joey is dropped (sadly). Move someone into the midfield who has Joey's toughness but has more pace. We need a linebreaker in there who can get things started. We have Chad but we need more. I know he has been great since moving to defense, but is it worth giving the Lizard more license to go into the midfield and use his toughness and pace to set up more forward plays? O'Reardon could come in to cover him at the back.

In O'Reardon, Hickey
    Out Kennedy, McLean
    Agree on that Br. I would add Wicks for Hayward. Their average stats are similar but Wicks brings hardness that Hayward doesn't possess.

I see other posters are suggesting resting players but that's what the bye is for. I would suggest giving the kyber once and for all to Hayward. Yes, he had a better second half last year but he is playing like a player who thinks he won't be dropped. No pressure, doesn't go where the ball is at (read avoids body contact) and has always been weak in one on one contests when the ball is in dispute.
    Last edited by Nico; 9th May 2022 at 11:31 AM.

Not sure if wicks is quite ready for a return. However I watched the ressies and he was actually very good. He only played forward, was very disciplined, was very energetic and despite a very close tag ended up with 15 touches and 8 tackles. He certainly looked like a player working specifically on his role for the seniors. It seems a bit different for Bell and Taylor who play midfield, get lots of touches when they will never play midfield for the seniors.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Not sure if wicks is quite ready for a return. However I watched the ressies and he was actually very good. He only played forward, was very disciplined, was very energetic and despite a very close tag ended up with 15 touches and 8 tackles. He certainly looked like a player working specifically on his role for the seniors. It seems a bit different for Bell and Taylor who play midfield, get lots of touches when they will never play midfield for the seniors.
    Interesting that they would tag someone who is usually a tagger (or run-with) player.

Absolute season defining game this one.

The game a few weeks back against Brisbane, showed we arent really a top 4 team at the moment.
    And the game against the Suns, showed us that our form line for a month or so has been covered over by a few close wins against rubbish opposition.

Need a big turnaround, and soon.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast