Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: the other games. Will the sleeping Giants awake?

Round 9: the other games. Will the sleeping Giants awake?

I guess the main interest this weekend, is will the Giants suddenly look like a gun team full of high draft picks, after Leon Cameron chose to answer the question of who will be the first coach to go in 2022? Or will they continue to often play insipid football? My guess is somewhere between the two, that is, on and off they'll play some classy football, but not enough to make the finals.

The round's first game is the Magpies and the Bulldogs. I guess a win for either side would be a good result. A Magpies win and we can enjoy the sight of the Bulldogs mournfully trudging off the ground. A Magpies loss and we can enjoy the obligatory shot of a pissed off Eddie in the stands.

The two Saturday afternoon games are the Hawks v Tigers and the Kangaroos v the Power. I suspect that the Hawks will continue their slide down the ladder; while it's only the Eagles that will prevent the Kangaroos from sliding further. Though on North, while typing the heading for this thread, I noticed that the heading that I typed for this round last year was, "Will the Kangaroos break their duck?" So, I guess you can say that they've improved on last season?

The twilight game is the Saints hosting the Cats. Should be a game worth watching, between two teams currently in the eight, but I wouldn't want to predict a winner. The Cats can look very good in the occasional big win, then look pretty mediocre in between. While no matter how good the Saints form is, I'm never convinced by the Saints.

On Saturday night, we'll probably have our usual close win over the Bombers, but unfortunately for me, up here, the free to air TV will be showing the Lions and the Crows.

On Sunday, hopefully the Suns can back up their win over us, by beating the Dockers. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Then it's the aforementioned Giants hosting the Blues.

And finally, it's the Eagles and the Demons. The betting on the game is $1.01 for the Demons and $19.00 for the Eagles. Which I think is the widest that I've ever seen? Is $19.00 the maximum that bookies are willing to go in a two horse race? Or will it be necessary to blow the price out to $25, $50 or $100, just to tempt a sufficient number of crazy West Coast fans to part with their money?

Veterans List
    I've tipped the Giants purely on the basis that they've changed coaches.....and that was before I knew that McKay was out for Carlton.

Go Pies tonight (even though I hate them).....for obvious reasons (I hate the Dogs more).

Thankfully here in central Victoria, we are getting the Swans game on Sat night. Go Swans! Get back on track.

I’ve changed my tip from Blues to Giants, which pretty much guarantees a Blues victory.

I hope they can give Cameron a good send off.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Hmmm. Bulldogs? Pies? Who do i hate the least? Too hard to pick. Let's hope the end of the game is controversial so that one club at least feels hard done by!

GO BLOODS!!!!

Poodles absolutely smashing the Pies at the moment.

I'm finding Eurovision more entertaining than both football codes tonight. And that's accounting for the facts that I find most of the songs mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm finding Eurovision more entertaining than both football codes tonight. And that's accounting for the facts that I find most of the songs mediocre.
    Then you may have missed the shot of Eddie McGuire covering his mouth while whispering to Gillon McLachlan. Scary to see them sitting together but at least we know Eddie's there while the Pies are being smashed.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Then you may have missed the shot of Eddie McGuire covering his mouth while whispering to Gillon McLachlan. Scary to see them sitting together but at least we know Eddie's there while the Pies are being smashed.
    Yeah, I saw that and immediately thought 'what's that @@@@@ plotting with Gil?'....it looked very suspicious the way he was attempting to thwart any lip readers.

Veterans List
    Crows giving the Lions a run.....15 pts up, late in the second. Eek!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Crows giving the Lions a run.....15 pts up, late in the second. Eek!
    An upset would be handy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    An upset would be handy.
    Normal transmission has resumed.....Lions 5 goals to nil since my last post.

Dawson reminds me of a poor man’s Bob Skilton. Stands out in an average side. Except Bob was brilliant

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast