Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9 vs Bombers @ SCG - match thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree. These appeals to lower the grading usual do fail. That's why I think we might have 'the blame it on the other guy' defence. Maybe they'll clear RB and give Mills a week.
    There is some footage from the other side of the contest which is quite interesting.
    It shows definite forward motion and James’s back bending with the momentum from the Callum push. This happens with the ball in front of them and not after James passes the ball.
    When James feels the contact his eyes move from the ball to the impending contact and he appears to tuck his shoulder in and change his focus to that of shepherding for Callum
    It also appears to show the point of contact to be high on the chest not to the head but it’s possible he clipped the chin of the Essendon player. There doesn’t seem like any actual backward momentum by the head at the time of the initial contact.
    I have scrubbed the footage dozens of times and can understand why we have appealed.
    Definitely think Biomechanics experts will be called.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    As opposed to a competition which seems to be saying that it is ok to elbow someone in the head, enough to draw blood, as long as it looks like an accident.....and you come from Richmond?
    I've just seen some clearer footage of the Lynch incident and I've changed my mind. He looked to be fully aware of where his tackler was, and attempted to fend off with his elbow. I don't see that can be considered a reasonable action.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There was an incident a few years ago when Buddy was in possession and being tackled and moved his elbow (at some velocity), catching the tackler high (and concussing him, IIRC). Some in the media were calling for his head; others suggested that when you're in possession, you have the right to manoeuvre and to protect yourself. The MRP determined that Buddy didn't have a case to answer.

The Lynch incident arose in similar circumstances, and the lack of finding against him is consistent with the way the game has been adjudicated over recent years.

The starting premise in today's game is that we want to protect players by reducing head high contact. However, given the 360 degree and aerial nature of the game, plus the speed at which it is played, eliminating all head high contact means compromises need to be made. The game needs to decide which elements where head high contact is possible (or likely) are so integral to the game that they can't be removed, and which can. Those posts are moving over time.

It wasn't so long ago (well, maybe a decade or so) that we were in uproar when Mumford was suspended for a tackle that drove his opponent's head into the ground. I think he was the first player to be suspended for such an action. Now we are pretty used to players being suspended for such actions, albeit always accompanied by some mumblings about how tackling is just part of the game.

Bumps used to be celebrated. Often brutal ones. Byron Pickett was the master of them. Part of the Legend of Brett Kirk is the bump that Pickett laid on him in the 2003 QF, from which he staggered to his feet, went back into the fray, and was instrumental in helping the Swans hang on against a desperate Port side clawing back the deficit. In today's game, Kirk would be taken from the ground for at least 20 minutes, probably not to return at all.

Those who administer the game have made the call that it is possible to bump, shepherd, tackle without causing head high contact to the opposition, and thus you can reduce the risk of head high contact to players without eliminating those elements from the sport. On the other hand, it is pretty much impossible to eliminate incidental head high contact in marking contests , particularly aerial ones, without fundamentally changing the game. So "the game" has determined that such head high contact has to be accepted. At least for now.

Those elbows by players seem to - at the moment - sit in that area of what can't easily be eliminated from the game, unless we want to deny the right of a player to try and break a tackle or even to try and dispose of the ball. The video of the Lynch incident available on the AFL site isn't great. It just shows the incident as it happened from a wide-pan camera. There's no replay or close up vision (though I think I saw something on the footy news over the weekend). From the vision on the AFL site, it doesn't look as if Lynch raised his arm high, or swung it particularly hard. Even from what I can recall of better vision, the contact does look accidental.

Rowbottom's high contact on Merrett was, I am sure, also accidental, but different types of footy action are adjudicated differently. For now, the Lynch action has pretty consistently been deemed to be reasonable, and the Rowbottom one not correctly executed and thus not reasonable. Maybe, in time, we will see the AFL determine that a player in possession has a duty of care for any contact made to a tackler, but for now that is not the case.

If every slightly clumsy act by a player in possession were deemed reportable / suspendable, I think Buddy would have had several enforced holidays over the last few years.
    Brilliant summation.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Getting sick of the same old arguments back and forward lately. Tempted to follow the same path as Rock Lobster, Aunty Gerard, Stella and those who talked about the team and not themselves.
    It would be more bearable if the ignore option also worked on quotes.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I confess I didn't go and look at vision when I made my earlier post. I have no doubt that the majority of the bumps that Pickett was lauded for over his career would fall foul of today's MRO and tribunal.

So I just went to seek out vision of the Kirk bump and found it quite close to the start of this compilation.

Byron Pickett unleashes brutal bumps and massive torps | Cult-Figure Fridays | 2020 | AFL - YouTube

It's actually hard to see the extent of head high contact from the full speed vision, and there is no slo-mo on this compilation. Certainly the brunt of the force was to Kirk's body but his head immediately goes back. I can't tell whether there was direct contact or if it was just a whiplash-type reaction.

Either way, it doesn't really detract from my point that the duty of care in certain football actions has changed over time.
    Great link liz! Byron really was a master of the bump based on that montage (and assisted by his shorter stature and low centre of gravity). I think he clearly got Kirk's body in that instance - Kirk's head goes forward on impact and then recoils like whiplash as his body is thrown the other way. Totally legitimate. Might explain why Kirk was able to play out the game although no doubt he would have been very sore. There's a reason he was dubbed the toughest man alive!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Sick of hearing about ####### Parker 's sledge to Shiel

THEY ARE MATES FROM WAY BACK FFS PLAYED FOR DANDENONG TOGETHER AND CAUGHT UP EVERY FEW WEEKS WHEN HE WAS A GIANT !

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Sick of hearing about ####### Parker 's sledge to Shiel

THEY ARE MATES FROM WAY BACK FFS PLAYED FOR DANDENONG TOGETHER AND CAUGHT UP EVERY FEW WEEKS WHEN HE WAS A GIANT !
    TB. Caroline Wilson is now weighing in.

I can see you coming in off the long run.

“Arrogant, juvenile, humiliating, nasty”: Wilson slams Parker for taunting Shiel

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    TB. Caroline Wilson is now weighing in.

I can see you coming in off the long run.

“Arrogant, juvenile, humiliating, nasty”: Wilson slams Parker for taunting Shiel
    She is who im talking about , media vultures . Luke parker is one of the fairest in the comp and has a bit of banter with an old mate after they 'd been going at each other all night and now cops this . Its rubbish . Move on

I think it’s essential that the Swans withdraw Parker (managed) from the 1st of July game v Essendon.

If the Dons are still losing, their sole focus for that game will be trying to run through Parker.

All the old Essendon legends will be firing up the Dons player group to take a stand against Parker in the week of the game.

The 1st of July game has the makings of the famous 2004 Dons V Hawks “line in the sand” game.

I just hope the Swans don’t put Parker in that situation.

I think it’s essential that the Swans withdraw Parker (managed) from the 1st of July game v Essendon.

If the Dons are still losing, their sole focus for that game will be trying to run through Parker.

All the old Essendon legends will be firing up the Dons player group to take a stand against Parker in the week of the game.

The 1st of July game has the makings of the famous 2004 Dons V Hawks “line in the sand” game.

Are you for real?

Parker can and will take anything that's thrown his way and will respond with hardness. He doesn't need protection or management. He needs to keep bringing his agro every week. It's spectacular to watch and lifts his team mates.

And to use obscure pop culture references I know you love Banga, Parker is the embodiment of every Chuck Norris meme. Every hyperbolic claim attributed to Chuck can be found under the number 26 guernsey.

Suspended by the MRP

We are not like them . We stick up for our teammates . Parker will be well supported . If they want to make Parker their sole focus , good . Let them forget about Mills , The Chad, Jmac and Gulden .

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    We are not like them . We stick up for our teammates . Parker will be well supported . If they want to make Parker their sole focus , good . Let them forget about Mills , The Chad, Jmac and Gulden .
    This could happen in the 1st of July match.

AFL Line in The Sand Incident 11/6/2004 . Essendon v Hawthorn Anazing Scenes . - YouTube

The result could possibly be that someone from the Swans will get hurt or several Swans will get suspended in a fracas.

If the Don’s have nothing to play for by the 1st of July this could happen. Loyd, Cornes, Brown, BT - they will all be talking up the Essendon response before the 1st of July game. Heppell has been condemned by Cornes for giving a mature answer to the Parker question.

You manage Parker and the sting goes out.