Thread: James Bell

Senior Player

James Bell

He's quite the divisive figure on this forum and apparently criticism of him post game is a big no no, so I thought it would be worthwhile starting his own thread.

His supporters suggest that he's doing his job by running away from the ball to create space for Buddy and/or block space for the opposition (?)

Can we expect anymore than the standard 8 possessions, 4 clangers, 1 tackle and a Joe the Goose goal (if he has a night out) from the "pressure forward" tonight v the Bombers?

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    He's quite the divisive figure on this forum and apparently criticism of him post game is a big no no, so I thought it would be worthwhile starting his own thread.

His supporters suggest that he's doing his job by running away from the ball to create space for Buddy and/or block space for the opposition (?)

Can we expect anymore than the standard 8 possessions, 4 clangers, 1 tackle and a Joe the Goose goal (if he has a night out) from the "pressure forward" tonight v the Bombers?

Discuss
    I put Bell and Wicks in the same category- they both do a few nice things but nowhere near enough. Their best positions, and many won’t agree, is Left Right Out.

Discuss
    I’ll await Barracuda’s small forward analysis before I’m critical of Wicks or Bell. Barracuda provides outstanding analysis of the small forward roll.

Bell always does one or two nice things a game. Whether it’s a strong mark or a great pass on his non preferred. If he did those nice things 10 times a game he would be a very dependable AFL player.

Senior Player

Discuss
    I thought last night was one of his better games. Applied good pressure and tackled pretty well. I thought he made a positive contribution. His issue is with decision making.

Gets the ball ok but his kicking isn't up to AFL standard.

We have Wicks and Papley as small forwards, not sure why Bell is getting a game ahead of Stephens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Gets the ball ok but his kicking isn't up to AFL standard.

We have Wicks and Papley as small forwards, not sure why Bell is getting a game ahead of Stephens.
    I suspect it's due to his hardness around the ball. Bell is fine with throwing himself into a contest. I can't say the same about Stephens, but I hope he turns that around soon.

Suspended by the MRP
    Bell was fantastic last night , anyone at the game will see how great he was at moving from contest to contest to throw his weight around , he never stops moving and trying . The best defensive players are quick and explosive , thats how they impact two, three different contests in one play and always stay involved .

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Bell was fantastic last night , anyone at the game will see how great he was at moving from contest to contest to throw his weight around , he never stops moving and trying . The best defensive players are quick and explosive , thats how they impact two, three different contests in one play and always stay involved .
    I'm totally with The Bloods and Mark on this one
    it's not just about when someone has the ball in their hands...he had some really impactful tackles, applies a lot of pressure , I suspect he runs a huge distance during the game covering spaces in defence and also in the forward line taking a defender away with his huge running capacity and creating spaces for our lead up forwards.
    He kicked a good goal...I was a little disappointed in his other missed goal.
    He had some classy moments where he picked up on the bounce and run and quickly dished off and then another on the way to a goal with a quick get and dish off.
    I also suspect that when he's in the side and also Wicks who was back to good form and seemed to play a little more upfield at times we tend to have the attitude and hunger to win .
    Like I've said before you need these type of players to make a team. It's not just the ones who have the major roles...this is the Wicks Bell role and it's different. One day give them a go in the midfield and they can be judged on that role..
    I like Stephens and hope he has his moment and fulfills his talents but I don't think he brings that hardness and pressure that Wicks and Bell do...

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I'm totally with The Bloods and Mark on this one
    it's not just about when someone has the ball in their hands...he had some really impactful tackles, applies a lot of pressure , I suspect he runs a huge distance during the game covering spaces in defence and also in the forward line taking a defender away with his huge running capacity and creating spaces for our lead up forwards.
    He kicked a good goal...I was a little disappointed in his other missed goal.
    He had some classy moments where he picked up on the bounce and run and quickly dished off and then another on the way to a goal with a quick get and dish off.
    I also suspect that when he's in the side and also Wicks who was back to good form and seemed to play a little more upfield at times we tend to have the attitude and hunger to win .
    Like I've said before you need these type of players to make a team. It's not just the ones who have the major roles...this is the Wicks Bell role and it's different. One day give them a go in the midfield and they can be judged on that role..
    I like Stephens and hope he has his moment and fulfills his talents but I don't think he brings that hardness and pressure that Wicks and Bell do...
    Its not Stephens job to . He is a ball carrier , he is there to link up in passages and get the ball into the right spaces . He is good at this , just hasnt had a chance. He will be in the team this week and will stay in

Veteran Site Admin
    There is nothing in this thread that couldn't - indeed hasn't - been said in pre-game, during game, post-game threads.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    James Bell's stats here do not provide a strong arguement for his inclusion, presumably it's based on other criteria
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.