Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Suspended by the MRP
    Wicks not a kid ? He was drafted same yr as Blakey RB Jmac

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    In: Campbell, Clarke to tag Walsh
    Out: Bell, JR if appeal declined. Otherwise Joey to med sub

We will need to negate their ball movement as much as possible and allow Mills to play his natural game.

Just a bit further on Bell and Wicks: would they hold a spot in any of the top 4 sides?
    They are both young and could improve but I’d rather play our kids as realistically we’ve only beaten Geelong as a good side so far this year.
    We need to improve significantly if we are to challenge and the next 3 games will show exactly where we’re at.
    I’m with Barracuda on this.

The all conquering Tigers had a mosquito fleet of small forwards picked for their defensive efforts. Wicks definitely deserves his spot in my book. I’m less sold on Bell.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

The all conquering Tigers had a mosquito fleet of small forwards picked for their defensive efforts. Wicks definitely deserves his spot in my book. I’m less sold on Bell.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the combination of Papley, Wicks and Ronke. Who else would you try ahead of Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the combination of Papley, Wicks and Ronke. Who else would you try ahead of Bell?
    I think Bell has been given a free ride by the match selection committee for whatever reason. While Taylor and Clarke are both out of favour, older and probably off to be delisted, I'd feel much more comfortable with them in the team than Bell. I actually think Clarke could be a good fit for our team against the top midfields in the comp - he has shown an ability to shut down good midfielders and win possession himself. Also I think Taylor generally would be a much better small forward/mid than Bell.

Ronke's another obvious answer to Bell's replacement. Ronke has shown he's a much improved player this year, just needs to sort out positioning issues with Papley.

If they want to bring in and try young blood, I'd have Sheather, Roberts, Sheldrick and Stephens to have a crack ahead of Bell. Bell has had 30 odd games to show us what he's got and hasn't shown much. Give one of the other kids 30 odd games to prove themselves and I'm sure we'd see a greater return.

Finally, not a like for like but O'Riordan is showing good form in the ressies and deserves a run sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by longmile; 17th May 2022 at 02:47 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    We are a great club , have just heard the argument we are taking to tribunal , very thorough and we are even going to challenge the high contact element. Fantastic we have our players backs always .

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wicks not a kid ? He was drafted same yr as Blakey RB Jmac
    He got a free ride last year after his good early games. He was @@@@e after that and gave away heaps of frees. His game against the Bombers was good, but my grandmother (if she were alive) would have played well against that defence!

He and Bell have had plenty of chances- time to try some of our other guys and give them a decent run.

Mosquito fleet of small forwards picked for their defensive effort? Can you please name them, as from memory they hit the scoreboard pretty frequently. I’m not saying we don’t need a defensive forward- my point is it would be better if they had more ability than the 2 we seem to play regularly. They do try hard and run around a lot but so what? A lot of the time they are where the ball ain’t and if you call that forward pressure then good luck- I can’t see us challenging top teams with this kind of play. We need an upgrade, simple as that. Wicks deserves another week for now-let’s hope he goes well against the Blues. Bell defo to the ressies.

“In being asked to solely focus on defensive pressure, the Tiger trio set the standard.”

'Mosquito fleet' has too much bite for Crows

Daniel Rioli, Daniel Butler and Jason Castagna

“In being asked to solely focus on defensive pressure, the Tiger trio set the standard.”

'Mosquito fleet' has too much bite for Crows

Daniel Rioli, Daniel Butler and Jason Castagna
    Those guys were/are in a different class to Wicks and Bell- with all due respect to our lads Mark.
    Their speed and tackling were first class- real pressure!

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I think Bell has been given a free ride by the match selection committee for whatever reason. While Taylor and Clarke are both out of favour, older and probably off to be delisted, I'd feel much more comfortable with them in the team than Bell. I actually think Clarke could be a good fit for our team against the top midfields in the comp - he has shown an ability to shut down good midfielders and win possession himself. Also I think Taylor generally would be a much better small forward/mid than Bell.

Ronke's another obvious answer to Bell's replacement. Ronke has shown he's a much improved player this year, just needs to sort out positioning issues with Papley.

If they want to bring in and try young blood, I'd have Sheather, Roberts, Sheldrick and Stephens to have a crack ahead of Bell. Bell has had 30 odd games to show us what he's got and hasn't shown much. Give one of the other kids 30 odd games to prove themselves and I'm sure we'd see a greater return.

Finally, not a like for like but O'Riordan is showing good form in the ressies and deserves a run sooner rather than later.
    Bell has a massive tank, I suspect that puts him ahead the others.

Ronke and Papley may be too similar to work effectively together as forwards but if Papley is going to play more midfield, I think Ronke and Wicks offer more than Bell and Wicks.

I'm a fan of O'Riordan and would love to see him get rewarded for his good form. He would be very handy for our defence and would not let us down. Also free up Florent/Campbell to play elsewhere.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Those guys were/are in a different class to Wicks and Bell- with all due respect to our lads Mark.
    Their speed and tackling were first class- real pressure!
    Cmon , you cant say they were first class . Castagna is a spud , Butler they moved on cause he couldnt even get a game with them , Rioli they moved to HB cause he was such a bust fwd !

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Bell has a massive tank, I suspect that puts him ahead the others.

Ronke and Papley may be too similar to work effectively together as forwards but if Papley is going to play more midfield, I think Ronke and Wicks offer more than Bell and Wicks.

I'm a fan of O'Riordan and would love to see him get rewarded for his good form. He would be very handy for our defence and would not let us down. Also free up Florent/Campbell to play elsewhere.
    I agree with this.

Ronke and Papley did play together for most of the 2018 and 2019 seasons. I don't remember how well they worked together. I can't see any apparent conflict in their games to prevent them from playing in the same team.

I prefer Ronke to Bell in the forward line, but can't see Bell being dropped.

Maybe Clarke to come in for JPK or Rowbottom (if suspended).

I would also give Ladhams a rest and bring in Amartey, who has played well in the VFL.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast