Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with this.

Ronke and Papley did play together for most of the 2018 and 2019 seasons. I don't remember how well they worked together. I can't see any apparent conflict in their games to prevent them from playing in the same team.

I prefer Ronke to Bell in the forward line, but can't see Bell being dropped.

Maybe Clarke to come in for JPK or Rowbottom (if suspended).

I would also give Ladhams a rest and bring in Amartey, who has played well in the VFL.
    Ronke was much quieter when Papley came back into the side, perhaps this was just coincidental. I was very much looking forward to see them both playing together but it didn't play out as expected (granted they were maybe only given 1 game together before Ben was dropped).

I love what Amartey brings, he's in very good touch but I'm hoping that Ladhams/Hickey can spend some solid game time together to see how they can combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Those guys were/are in a different class to Wicks and Bell- with all due respect to our lads Mark.
    Their speed and tackling were first class- real pressure!
    My point was that they were picked purely for their defensive work. I think we should assess Wicks and Bell in the same way and not question how many goals they kick

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    My point was that they were picked purely for their defensive work. I think we should assess Wicks and Bell in the same way and not question how many goals they kick
    Mark, even if as you say they were picked for their defensive work, nevertheless they contributed significantly on the scoreboard. Wicks did that in the early games last year but then he lost his kicking boots and gave away too many frees to be an effective pressure forward. Bell just made up the numbers, unfortunately, in most of his games.

So, while I acknowledge that forward pressure can be very helpful to our other forwards, my take is that these two don’t show it effectively and often enough. But I hope I’m wrong!

If you accept that a defensive forward is picked or dropped based on his defensive work, then it’s illogical to argue about how many goals they kicked.

I think Wicks performs in that role. Not convinced about Bell.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Assuming that we class Rioli as the best of the three Richmond players offered up and Sam is our best option let’s look at the stats and see how they compare at the same age for Rioli this was 2020
    Wicks vs Rioli same age
    It certainly gave me more appreciation of how well Sam is tracking and if he continues his progression and matches Rioli performance in the years to come most of us should be happy.

Senior Player

Senior Player

Veterans List
    So it's simply Campbell in for Rowbottom, then shuffle the deckchairs a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So it's simply Campbell in for Rowbottom, then shuffle the deckchairs a bit.
    Its not a like for like swap so we would have to move someone else into the midfield as Campbell is not playing in the guts at present. I think a like for like swap would be:

In Clarke
    Out Rowbottom

Clarke is no star but he can play a tagging role and has plenty of grunt around the contest which is what we really need to match Carlton in the contest.

Cripps, Hewitt and Walsh are a formidable starting midfield for us to counter. Hopefully, we can nullify them on the night. Cripps is the one that most worries me as he is in rare form and can be a match winner if we give him too much room.
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 18th May 2022 at 02:37 AM.

Shame to see Jimmy Rowbottom rubbed out. It was worth a challenge but i can't begrudge the ruling. The head must be protected in footy! More of a shame is that it is now on his record - if I had to guess any Swans player who would end up suspended this year he might've been one of my last guesses!!

What we will miss is his ferocious tackling.. he had two desperate tackles that caused a Bomber player in the corridor (!!) to end up spraying their kick out on the full last week.. only monster tackles could throw a footy player that much off balance that their ball travels 40-50m in the wrong direction!! I know he fell 2 touches short of the disposal count that seems to have become someone's measuring stick around here!! But those 2 tackles that won US possession of the ball surely made up for it!!

A friend of mine made an interesting point last week. Rowie's incident was in the 2nd quarter.. we had to know he'd be in trouble.. we were up by over 50 points mid way through the 3rd.. should we have rested Joey for the remainder of that match, with an eye to the Blues game ?? I am thinking that his strength and size may make him the perfect candidate to help the tackling machine Millsy take down the Blues big bodied mids .. Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy.. but if Joey isn't in peak condition, at his age, even he might not be up to it .. food for thought??

CHEER CHEER

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I very much agree with bloodspigit, congratulations to the Great Dane on his 200th game.

An absolutely wonderful player and character, I'd certainly put him into the same defensive class as Dennis Carrol and Mark Bayes.

He's also always been a bit different, which I've generally enjoyed. I wasn't sure about the Alice band he began his career with or his goalpost climbing, and tripping over a chain fence outside the SCG was just weired. But he has always played the game in a thoroughly sportsmanlike manner, I remember him checking on a tiger opponent who he'd accidentally concussed on one occasion, and my wife was much enamoured with his actions when he was about to collide with goal umpire Chelsea Roffey - says it was "very Errol Flynn of him" view
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Its not a like for like swap so we would have to move someone else into the midfield as Campbell is not playing in the guts at present. I think a like for like swap would be:

In Clarke
    Out Rowbottom

Clarke is no star but he can play a tagging role and has plenty of grunt around the contest which is what we really need to match Carlton in the contest.

Cripps, Hewitt and Walsh are a formidable starting midfield for us to counter. Hopefully, we can nullify them on the night. Cripps is the one that most worries me as he is in rare form and can be a match winner if we give him too much room.
    Doesn’t have to be like for like. Could move McInerney or Florent from defence to midfield again

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast