Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    and my wife was much enamoured with his actions when he was about to collide with goal umpire Chelsea Roffey - says it was "very Errol Flynn of him" view
    Wasn’t Roffey. It was Rose O’Dea https://www.roseodea.com/afl

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    One thing I am keen to see this week is our ruck combo take control.

A feature of Carlton's game is scores from stoppages. I can't remember the exact stat but apparently their share of the score from stoppages vs turnovers is the highest in the league. They are very good at feeding it out the back to a player with a quick handball or two, and launching from there. Our ruck combo needs to dominate the taps and give our guys first use.

The other element is Tom De Koening. He's going to be an outstanding player in a couple of years, but he's only 21 and still maturing. Hickey and Ladhams need to grind him down and whenever Silvangi comes in for relief, jump into the little fart and make him think twice.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I very much agree with bloodspigit, congratulations to the Great Dane on his 200th game.

An absolutely wonderful player and character, I'd certainly put him into the same defensive class as Dennis Carrol and Mark Bayes.

He's also always been a bit different, which I've generally enjoyed. I wasn't sure about the Alice band he began his career with or his goalpost climbing, and tripping over a chain fence outside the SCG was just weired. But he has always played the game in a thoroughly sportsmanlike manner, I remember him checking on a tiger opponent who he'd accidentally concussed on one occasion, and my wife was much enamoured with his actions when he was about to collide with goal umpire Chelsea Roffey - says it was "very Errol Flynn of him" view
    Not sure Errol Flynn is the right comparison tbh

Errol Flynn - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

A feature of Carlton's game is scores from stoppages. I can't remember the exact stat but apparently their share of the score from stoppages vs turnovers is the highest in the league. They are very good at feeding it out the back to a player with a quick handball or two, and launching from there. Our ruck combo needs to dominate the taps and give our guys first use.

The other element is Tom De Koening. He's going to be an outstanding player in a couple of years, but he's only 21 and still maturing. Hickey and Ladhams need to grind him down and whenever Silvangi comes in for relief, jump into the little fart and make him think twice.
    Hickey and Ladhams should grab the ball out of the ruck and do their own clearances especially against Cripps. They are wounded with 5 day break on a faster deck, suggests we should win this one. If we start well we should be strong late in the game.

Suspended by the MRP
    You lot must be powerful , that dill Jon ralph was on the radio talking about noise at games driving crowds away !

Are any of you former South Melbourne players !

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Shame to see Jimmy Rowbottom rubbed out. It was worth a challenge but i can't begrudge the ruling. The head must be protected in footy!
    I do, considering Lynch can elbow a player IN THE HEAD, enough to draw blood.....and this is 'reasonable in the circumstances'.

Seriously? What circumstances? Being Tom Lynch in a game of football?

Other players have got off after arguing that they were pushed into the contest (don't ask who....you know I'm right) and it is never 'reasonable' to raise the elbow.....except if you're Tom Lynch apparently.

It completely sucks.....but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not sure Errol Flynn is the right comparison tbh

Errol Flynn - Wikipedia
    Yes, Errol would have quickly asked 'what are you doing after the match' as he brought her to her feet.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

This is where the loss of Rowbottom could hurt us. He has been very good defensively when the opposition win the ball from the ruck contest and often gets to at least harass the player with the ball. And it's also an area that Kennedy has been poor in, mainly due to his lack of pace, and probably the main reason he doesn't attend many centre bounces these days. We have to work on how we set up for stoppages in Carlton's forward 50. This has been a source of goal leakage on our part.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 18th May 2022 at 02:00 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I do, considering Lynch can elbow a player IN THE HEAD, enough to draw blood.....and this is 'reasonable in the circumstances'.

Seriously? What circumstances? Being Tom Lynch in a game of football?

Other players have got off after arguing that they were pushed into the contest (don't ask who....you know I'm right) and it is never 'reasonable' to raise the elbow.....except if you're Tom Lynch apparently.

It completely sucks.....but that shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Its done now , let it go

Regular in the Side
    After playing well in the first 5 rounds of 2021, Horse "manged" Campbell by listing him as the medical sub. Unfortunately, Hewett was concussed and Campbell had to play 55%ToG! After that game, he had to be "managed" for the rest of the season and only returned in the final two rounds. Don't Know the exact reason why he was managed last week but please don't select him this round unless he is 100%. We can use Clarke in the mid for Rowbottom. Or O'riordan can be selected in the back and let Florent and McInerney to spend lots more time in the mid.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You lot must be powerful , that dill Jon ralph was on the radio talking about noise at games driving crowds away !

Are any of you former South Melbourne players !
    Post of the day 😀

Imagine if TheBloods turns out to be Bob Skilton

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast