Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not sure Errol Flynn is the right comparison tbh
    Errol Flynn - Wikipedia
    Yeah I know, I was partly responsible for @@@@canning a proposed take-no-prisoners bio - I believe she was referring to a scene in "Robin Hood", my wife is a romantic soul.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Imagine if TheBloods turns out to be Bob Skilton
    TB and his alter-ego BS = BS

OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is where the loss of Rowbottom could hurt us. He has been very good defensively when the opposition win the ball from the ruck contest and often gets to at least harass the player with the ball. And it's also an area that Kennedy has been poor in, mainly due to his lack of pace, and probably the main reason he doesn't attend many centre bounces these days. We have to work on how we set up for stoppages in Carlton's forward 50. This has been a source of goal leakage on our part.
    Since it is a hot topic ! Could Bell do the job of harassment? Don’t want Callum Mills to do the negating role.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Since it is a hot topic ! Could Bell do the job of harassment? Don’t want Callum Mills to do the negating role.
    I'm happy enough to give Bell some midfield time to see how he goes. So far, he hasn't demonstrated at AFL level the ability to make quick decisions and rapid execution both by hand and foot, and I would prefer to see him do that first. It took Mills a several solid years in defence before he got this chance in the midfield, and that was after he demonstrated the ability to play midfield with a few midfield stints from time to time.

I would prefer to see Heeney get more midfield time before Bell. I would like to see him get the ball 25+ times, where he can be damaging every game and not just dependent on kicking goals.

The reason that Warner and Rowbottom have become our 3rd and 4th midfielders has been their ability to make quick decisions and good ones, as well as execute correctly most of the time, and being able to do it under pressure. Warner is particularly quick at evaluating his options and picking the right one. It doesn't seem to matter if the situation calls for a handball, kick or run, he tends to get it right. I would say that Bell, on the contrary, tends to get those things wrong more often than not. But it's never too late to turn things around. I hope this latest stint in the seniors affords him the chance to pick up the pace of the game.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm happy enough to give Bell some midfield time to see how he goes. So far, he hasn't demonstrated at AFL level the ability to make quick decisions and rapid execution both by hand and foot, and I would prefer to see him do that first. It took Mills a several solid years in defence before he got this chance in the midfield, and that was after he demonstrated the ability to play midfield with a few midfield stints from time to time.

I would prefer to see Heeney get more midfield time before Bell. I would like to see him get the ball 25+ times, where he can be damaging every game and not just dependent on kicking goals.

The reason that Warner and Rowbottom have become our 3rd and 4th midfielders has been their ability to make quick decisions and good ones, as well as execute correctly most of the time, and being able to do it under pressure. Warner is particularly quick at evaluating his options and picking the right one. It doesn't seem to matter if the situation calls for a handball, kick or run, he tends to get it right. I would say that Bell, on the contrary, tends to get those things wrong more often than not. But it's never too late to turn things around. I hope this latest stint in the seniors affords him the chance to pick up the pace of the game.
    You and i must watch different Rowbottoms honest

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You and i must watch different Rowbottoms honest
    And different Bells too...I mostly enjoy Ludwig but I'm a little over his Bell comments

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    And different Bells too...I mostly enjoy Ludwig but I'm a little over his Bell comments
    I 've been told the same about RB . Roadrunner is as bad with Wicks and Bell . We all have the ones we don 't see much in

I enjoy everyone on here but i 'd send most of you to OPSM ! And you would say the same about me ha ha

I 've been told the same about RB . Roadrunner is as bad with Wicks and Bell . We all have the ones we don 't see much in

I enjoy everyone on here but i 'd send most of you to OPSM ! And you would say the same about me ha ha
    I enjoy your posts TheBloods and I do rate Rowbottom, I just think it takes time to get to the next level and he's progressing along in the right direction.

But as for Bell all I can say is that what I see through my glasses is a job well done and invariably the team goes better when he comes in. I think you can grasp it better at the ground live rather than on the tv set...what he does and the pressure he applies. We often just see on the ball on the tv set. And the main thing is that a coach of the pedigree of Longmire values what he brings...that's enough for me. And keeps me happy when he gets selected

Yes, TB- I did recommend you to visit Specsavers! Re: Wicks and Bell- I plead guilty. I don’t rate either at the moment and I totally agree with Ludwig about the issue with young Bell and what he has to do.

As for Wicks: my problem is that basically I don’t agree with the idea that a forward’s main role should be just to apply forward pressure. Of course the game has evolved enormously since I played, and I didn’t play at AFL level or anywhere close. But I did play HF and my job was to either score or to to assist my team mates in scoring. Now it can be argued that by applying pressure Wicks helps other forwards and locks the ball in our forward line, instead of allowing the defender to rebound. Makes sense in theory, but for mine he doesn’t do it well, except every now and then. And in the process he gives away numerous frees-but in fairness not as many as he did in the past.

However, I will be patient and prepared to give him a chance to show what he can do over the next 3 tough games.
    So unlike you TB, who has written RB off, I wait for Wicks to convince me and in the meantime acknowledge that Horse and others on here see more in him than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Yes, TB- I did recommend you to visit Specsavers! Re: Wicks and Bell- I plead guilty. I don’t rate either at the moment and I totally agree with Ludwig about the issue with young Bell and what he has to do.

As for Wicks: my problem is that basically I don’t agree with the idea that a forward’s main role should be just to apply forward pressure. Of course the game has evolved enormously since I played, and I didn’t play at AFL level or anywhere close. But I did play HF and my job was to either score or to to assist my team mates in scoring. Now it can be argued that by applying pressure Wicks helps other forwards and locks the ball in our forward line, instead of allowing the defender to rebound. Makes sense in theory, but for mine he doesn’t do it well, except every now and then. And in the process he gives away numerous frees-but in fairness not as many as he did in the past.

However, I will be patient and prepared to give him a chance to show what he can do over the next 3 tough games.
    So unlike you TB, who has written RB off, I wait for Wicks to convince me and in the meantime acknowledge that Horse and others on here see more in him than I do.
    19 disposals at 84%, 7 contested, 2 goals, 20 pressure acts and beat Dyson Heppell is a bit more than just pressure. But I have a feeling nothing is going to convince you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Even I don't rate Bell but I guess the people who matter rate both Bell and Rowbottom. And now that Rowbottom is missing this game, maybe Bell can play midfield and try to negate some of the contested beasts in there.
    I am also hoping that Justin McInerney plays a blinder and stops Cerra.

I think we are all likely guilty of some form of confirmation bias. It’s only natural.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast