Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Did I say that one percenters 'define' a captain? No.....you made that up.

I suggested that it is an important part of a leaders job of 'setting an example' to his team mates, that is all.

While the stats suggest Chad is close to RB and Parker in pressure acts etc I also go on what I see and at times he just does not chase as hard as I would like. Others have noticed defensive deficiencies in his game....are we all making stuff up?
    I see RB do the same thing and worse . Whats the point in this. Why did you feel like you had to take something that was supposed to be about appreciating Chad on his birthday and turn it into an argument . Lets just focus on tomorrow nights game , should be a cracker

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Did we establish what position Liz played?

I imagine a stern but crafty half back who doesn’t let the cheeky small forwards she minded get away with anything.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Still perplexed that Campbell is not in the side. Has damaging midfielder written all over him.

I dont have a good feeling about this game at all we are going to get flogged out of the middle we are going to struggle against teams with strong contested ball (Bulldogs, Lions).

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by H2F View Post
    I dont have a good feeling about this game at all we are going to get flogged out of the middle we are going to struggle against teams with strong contested ball (Bulldogs, Lions).
    I'm also uneasy about this one. They are strong on contested ball and clearances, but we have a significant advantage in the ruck. They are running out of key position defenders, we have some handy tall forwards. They play a fleet of pacy small forwards, we like to run out of defence. I have no idea how this will all play out, but I reserve the right to say 'i told you so' after the match :-)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Still perplexed that Campbell is not in the side. Has damaging midfielder written all over him.
    Yes he does but he has to learn it first ! I said before the season i would take Campbel spending all yr in the 2s if it means he develops as a mid . Once he is ready for mids he will come in and be one of the best of the lot

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I don’t think the issue is whether he can play. But does anyone have any insights on his tank? I seem to remember some pre-draft reporting querying whether he’d take a couple of years to build that elite running capacity.

To be clear, not coz he’s fat or lazy. Just there’s a difference between a natural runner like JMac or Gulden, or those that take a big longer.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I don’t think the issue is whether he can play. But does anyone have any insights on his tank? I seem to remember some pre-draft reporting querying whether he’d take a couple of years to build that elite running capacity.

To be clear, not coz he’s fat or lazy. Just there’s a difference between a natural runner like JMac or Gulden, or those that take a big longer.
    He was a gun midfielder in his academy days, with a bit more emphasis on outside, rather than inside. So I guess that means that he has some sort of tank, to go with his obvious pace. I can't really recall if he was noted for his endurance, but being one of the stars of the academy, he probably spent plenty of time on the field.

Bell is a reserve, shouldnt get picked ahead of Campbell or Stephens, those guys need league games not ressies

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Did I say that one percenters 'define' a captain? No.....you made that up.

I suggested that it is an important part of a leaders job of 'setting an example' to his team mates, that is all.

While the stats suggest Chad is close to RB and Parker in pressure acts etc I also go on what I see and at times he just does not chase as hard as I would like. Others have noticed defensive deficiencies in his game....are we all making stuff up?
    Need to step in here. Stevo is going out of his way to nit pick Chad. Chad may be on occasion out of position defensively but any run of the mill AFL player can learn to be good defensively.

What very few have is Chad’s line breaking corridor ability. Parker, Mills, Kennedy, Okeefe, K.Jack can’t match Chad for that. The last great Swans line breaker was Adam Goodes. Chads speed, power, agility, skills and confidence to break lines is a rare asset.

In my opinion, one Chad line break is worth 3 Rowbottom defensive efforts.

I think Stevo is besotted with the Paul Roos 2005 defensive midfield players such as Luke Ablett, Brett Kirk, Jared Crouch and Fosdyke. He can see Rowbottom in them.

I think Stevo wishes Chad was another run of the mill defensive midfielder.

Chad though is Chad and his talents are more valuable than a defensive midfielder.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Need to step in here. Stevo is going out of his way to nit pick Chad. Chad may be on occasion out of position defensively but any run of the mill AFL player can learn to be good defensively.

What very few have is Chad’s line breaking corridor ability. Parker, Mills, Kennedy, Okeefe, K.Jack can’t match Chad for that. The last great Swans line breaker was Adam Goodes. Chads speed, power, agility, skills and confidence to break lines is a rare asset.

In my opinion, one Chad line break is worth 3 Rowbottom defensive efforts.

I think Stevo is besotted with the Paul Roos 2005 defensive midfield players such as Luke Ablett, Brett Kirk, Jared Crouch and Fosdyke. He can see Rowbottom in them.

I think Stevo wishes Chad was another run of the mill defensive midfielder.

Chad though is Chad and his talents are more valuable than a defensive midfielder.
    cant argue with that , but why talk about stevoswan in 3rd person when you are replying to him ? bit disrespectful

All players in the team, including The Chad, need to be willing to carry out defensive acts like running after a player when we lose possession, tackling, smothers, filling gaps, blocking etc. Its surely a team expectation?
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 19th May 2022 at 10:36 PM.