Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

I tend to think that the omission of Campbell and Stephens reflects matchups against Carlton. They are a strongly built midfield group. Campbell and Stephens are lightly built mid types who are more outside than inside. I don't think that we can afford to play players like that against Carlton as they might steamroll us. I'm going to the game tomorrow night and I'm very worried about Cripps in particular.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I tend to think that the omission of Campbell and Stephens reflects matchups against Carlton. They are a strongly built midfield group. Campbell and Stephens are lightly built mid types who are more outside than inside. I don't think that we can afford to play players like that against Carlton as they might steamroll us. I'm going to the game tomorrow night and I'm very worried about Cripps in particular.
    I much preferred the banged up 2021 version of Cripps!

Stunning Carlton stat from Montagna on Fox - they have scored 108 points direct from CB's this year, next best team is just 38! That's a massive difference, as Joey said "two goals a game" ahead of the opposition - and with basically no rucks

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I much preferred the banged up 2021 version of Cripps!

Stunning Carlton stat from Montagna on Fox - they have scored 108 points direct from CB's this year, next best team is just 38! That's a massive difference, as Joey said "two goals a game" ahead of the opposition - and with basically no rucks
    There is a lot to be said for having mature bodies in the centre. Im sure people like Hewett and Kennedy in there, give Cripps a lot more freedom.

Our midfield just seems not quite there this year. Losing Hewett, and Kennedy not fit enough to play mid, basically leaves just Luke "Shrugs" Parker on his own. If Shrugs plays well, we win.

If we can match them in the midfield in terms of strength, we can beat them with pace out wide and firepower down forward. For this reason, I'd like to see us use Heeney in the guts more tonight. A centre bounce rotation of Mills, Parker, Heeney, Warner, and occasionally Papley can match the strength of Carlton.

Senior Player
    Some thoughts on Hewett, from the perspective of both teams.

Blue clearance king: Why the Swans’ loss has been Hewett’s gain

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Can we please rename this the Dane Rampe appreciation round?

A total champion. Let’s celebrate him.
    Absolutely! This article just appeared at the Swans website. It has quite a lot of detail regarding his background and journey.

Rampe to reach 200
    Last edited by neilfws; 20th May 2022 at 12:07 PM.

Regular in the Side
    A good article. Clearly we made that list management decision with the knowledge there would be some short term pain. Hopefully we won't be feeling too much hurt tonight!

Re. - the Age article about Hewett

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    A good article. Clearly we made that list management decision with the knowledge there would be some short term pain. Hopefully we won't be feeling too much hurt tonight!

Re. - the Age article about Hewett
    It was a mistake , but we wont feel it til a year or two when Parker cant play 4 quarters in mids . Basically relying on Roberts or Gus to be something . I think they will but nothing is guaranteed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Don’t have to have played to enjoy it or have opinions. Plenty of male obstetricians who have never given birth.

You can still know plenty about footy from watching, without playing.

And given some of the commentators out there, playing footy doesn’t always equate to sensible opinions either.
    I heard a caller on Whately's radio show who said he got kicked in the leg at Auskick and decided to never play again.
    He then gave the best analysis of the Parker thing you could ever hear...from each player's perspective, from each coaching group's perspective, from AFL perspective and from umpire's point of view.
    I'd love to hear him on a weekly basis on different issues, but doubt he'll pop up again.
    I have a lot of respect for Whately's views, but also think he's unlikely to open the gate for a possible competitor.
    Why would he?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Some thoughts on Hewett, from the perspective of both teams.

Blue clearance king: Why the Swans’ loss has been Hewett’s gain
    Great article thanks. Let’s hope he doesn’t star against us tonight!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Need to step in here. Stevo is going out of his way to nit pick Chad. Chad may be on occasion out of position defensively but any run of the mill AFL player can learn to be good defensively.

What very few have is Chad’s line breaking corridor ability. Parker, Mills, Kennedy, Okeefe, K.Jack can’t match Chad for that. The last great Swans line breaker was Adam Goodes. Chads speed, power, agility, skills and confidence to break lines is a rare asset.

In my opinion, one Chad line break is worth 3 Rowbottom defensive efforts.

I think Stevo is besotted with the Paul Roos 2005 defensive midfield players such as Luke Ablett, Brett Kirk, Jared Crouch and Fosdyke. He can see Rowbottom in them.

I think Stevo wishes Chad was another run of the mill defensive midfielder.

Chad though is Chad and his talents are more valuable than a defensive midfielder.
    No, more so defending RB.....yet again. As much as TB wants to blame me for injecting RB into a Chad chat....it was he who made yet another comparison between Chad and RB....and that's where it started.

So BS, you can theorise as much as you like.....and all your 'theories' are completely wrong. Defensive midfielder? More defensive when it counts and is needed.....yes.

BTW, TB was doing fine defending himself.....apart from just making some stuff up. I did like his response to your above post though.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    It was a mistake , but we wont feel it til a year or two when Parker cant play 4 quarters in mids . Basically relying on Roberts or Gus to be something . I think they will but nothing is guaranteed
    It might be an interesting off season (time wasting) activity to compile a list of players that have done better than expected after departing the Swans.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.