Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs Carlton Blues Friday 7:50PM @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    100% agree. I kept a very close watch on Bell v Essendon. Covers immense ground. Very, very disciplined. Helps the team to play with width and structure in a way that Ronke and Papley don't. Rarely beaten when the contest comes to him—and that is the key: he doesn't chase the ball. He holds the shape, runs both ways, and applies pressure.
    I’m happy you rate him O’Reilly Boy. I’ve been watching his games too, but come to a different conclusion. No one can deny that he gives 100% but for me his ball involvements are minimal. Of course, we all see things a bit differently and I truly wish him to succeed. Same goes for young Wicks. Many on here say they apply pressure to enable others space etc. As I’ve said before, the next 3 matches including tonight will show us where young Bell (and Wicks) are at.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Why be nasty , i was having a joke . Same as top of the page , i stick up for someone and in return get a smart arse comment aimed at me.
    Nastyness, nah I don't see any nastiness, I do however see a slightly histrionic post.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 20th May 2022 at 07:09 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    It might be an interesting off season (time wasting) activity to compile a list of players that have done better than expected after departing the Swans.
    And those that haven’t (2 in particular come to mind). I’d also love to know of the players that left, how many the club really didn’t want to lose?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    And those that haven’t (2 in particular come to mind). I’d also love to know of the players that left, how many the club really didn’t want to lose?
    Carey and Longmire, but we needed the $10k we got for them!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    100% agree. I kept a very close watch on Bell v Essendon. Covers immense ground. Very, very disciplined. Helps the team to play with width and structure in a way that Ronke and Papley don't. Rarely beaten when the contest comes to him—and that is the key: he doesn't chase the ball. He holds the shape, runs both ways, and applies pressure.
    Couldn't agree any more with you.

You've expressed my thoughts far more succinctly than what I have tried in a multitude of posts re James

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I’m happy you rate him O’Reilly Boy. I’ve been watching his games too, but come to a different conclusion. No one can deny that he gives 100% but for me his ball involvements are minimal. Of course, we all see things a bit differently and I truly wish him to succeed. Same goes for young Wicks. Many on here say they apply pressure to enable others space etc. As I’ve said before, the next 3 matches including tonight will show us where young Bell (and Wicks) are at.
    The next 3 matches will show us where everyone's at

Senior Player
    Here is my thoughts for the last 15 or so years.

I won't include JPK as he was a young relatively unknown player at that stage.

Done better than expected after joining us:

Ted Richards
    Andrejs Everitt
    Darren Jolly

Done OK after joining us

Buddy - he was a star already and why we wanted him, he didn't play for us significantly better than he did for the Hawks (and even though he is still here at year 10, he missed 2019 and 2020).
    Tippett
    Bradshaw
    Sinclair

Done less than expected after joining us

Sam Gray
    Daniel Menzel
    Lewis Taylor
    Ryan Clarke

Done better after leaving us:

Jolly (won a premiership)
    Mummy
    Nankervis
    Membrey
    Aliir
    Mitchell
    Hewitt (so far)
    Rohan (apart from injury this year)
    Newman

Done ok after leaving us

Bird
    Everitt

Done worse than expected after leaving us

Hanners
    Malcheski
    Jetta
    Bird

I have missed a few trades, but I think overall, apart from Teddy Richards and JPK we have not really done well at the trades in terms of picking up a player who then played much better than we thought he could. But there are many more players who have left us and gone and done much better than when they were playing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Here is my thoughts for the last 15 or so years.

I won't include JPK as he was a young relatively unknown player at that stage.

Done better than expected after joining us:

Ted Richards
    Andrejs Everitt
    Darren Jolly

Done OK after joining us

Buddy - he was a star already and why we wanted him, he didn't play for us significantly better than he did for the Hawks (and even though he is still here at year 10, he missed 2019 and 2020).
    Tippett
    Bradshaw
    Sinclair

Done less than expected after joining us

Sam Gray
    Daniel Menzel
    Lewis Taylor
    Ryan Clarke

Done better after leaving us:

Jolly (won a premiership)
    Mummy
    Nankervis
    Membrey
    Aliir
    Mitchell
    Hewitt (so far)
    Rohan (apart from injury this year)
    Newman

Done ok after leaving us

Bird
    Everitt

Done worse than expected after leaving us

Hanners
    Malcheski
    Jetta
    Bird

I have missed a few trades, but I think overall, apart from Teddy Richards and JPK we have not really done well at the trades in terms of picking up a player who then played much better than we thought he could. But there are many more players who have left us and gone and done much better than when they were playing with us.
    McGlynn? Shaw? Kennedy? Mattner? Mummy 1.0 (Mummy 2.0 was the Gw$ defection)
    Last edited by goswannies; 20th May 2022 at 08:06 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    McGlynn? Shaw? Kennedy? Mattner? C.Bolton? Davis?
    I did say I wasn't including JPK, but yes I agree on the McGlynn and Shaw for sure, I did say I missed some.

I largely agree with you … but

What about Craig Bolton, Marty Mattner, Ben McGlynn reckon they turned out OK?

Think Rohan is as flawed for Geelong as he was for us.

I largely agree with you … but

What about Craig Bolton, Marty Mattner, Ben McGlynn reckon they turned out OK?

Think Rohan is as flawed for Geelong as he was for us.
    I didn’t include C.Bolton as he’s was older than the oldest player cited in the better ledger - but if you include Bolton, Nick Davis gets a mention too

My brain is flooding with names / mental pictures

Mitch Morton
    Sam Murray
    The guy that went to GWS, small quick, weak
    Darcy Cameron
    That long haired bloke went to Hawks and won a premiership

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    My brain is flooding with names / mental pictures

Mitch Morton
    Sam Murray
    The guy that went to GWS, small quick, weak
    Darcy Cameron
    That long haired bloke went to Hawks and won a premiership
    What we got out of Mitch Morton with that one play that led to the Kieran Jack goal in the grand final made it worthwhile on its own.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say