Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mid Season Draft

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Reading that, I can see why the Swans picked him. He has character. We probably had Bauer in mind but once Richmond swooped on him, HHK was probably a gimme.
    We could have had Bauer for free as a rookie after the 2021 season but passed. I assume we would review how we rated him a pass but that he's been picked up only a handful of games later. Lessons always being learned of course.

Be interesting to know if Bauer was a target for us. It seems HHK was likely the Saints target, they opened up a spot hours before the draft then passed on having a selection. Saints tried to get HHK via the NGA last draft but AFL knocked them back from listing him as an NGA. Thank goodness starting from this years ND, the AFL has embargoed the NGA rort from the first 40 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We could have had Bauer for free as a rookie after the 2021 season but passed. I assume we would review how we rated him a pass but that he's been picked up only a handful of games later. Lessons always being learned of course.

Be interesting to know if Bauer was a target for us. It seems HHK was likely the Saints target, they opened up a spot hours before the draft then passed on having a selection. Saints tried to get HHK via the NGA last draft but AFL knocked them back from listing him as an NGA. Thank goodness starting from this years ND, the AFL has embargoed the NGA rort from the first 40 picks.
    I reckon swans underrated Bauer last year. In my opinion was the best tall in the academy games last year but was then overlooked for allies selection for others around him . Great mark who takes ball at its peak , good leap which overcomes him being slightly shorter than many of his peer group and a really nice kick at goal. Also plays well in key defense roles as well.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Presumably we reviewed our decision to pass on Luke Breust as well. No clubs recruiting can be 100%, but our guys to extremely well, especially with late national and rookie draft picks.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Freo has won the Mid Season draft. Check out the highlights for Sebit Kuek on Freo's AFL website.

Official AFL Website of the Fremantle Dockers
    I like it!
    😁

I think it was the best we did not draft Bauer.

I didn't want there to be a situation where we overlooked him once, he goes to SA and plays well enough to attract interest from multiple AFL clubs. Then we draft him and he sits in our reserves for 2 seasons because we have Heeney and Hayward ahead of him.

I feel he is probably going to get more opportunity at Richmond.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Freo has won the Mid Season draft. Check out the highlights for Sebit Kuek on Freo's AFL website.

Official AFL Website of the Fremantle Dockers
    Very impressive highlights reel he looks like he can clunk a mark has a great kick on him and has some pretty good moves at ground level.
    However he doesn’t play for us so I am now looking forward to one of the Mac Attacks cleaning him up ( legitimately) in a marking contest when he plays against us.
    I do love the athleticism and wow factor that the African / Australian players are bringing to the game.
    By 2030 I predict at least 10 % of AFL Players will share that heritage and like our First Nations players we will embrace the unique skill set they bring to the game for us as spectators.

On the Rookie List
    Bauer going to Richmond gives us the opportunity to recruit someone from another club, citing the go home factor. We did it with Nick Davis, but can't remember any others.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Bauer going to Richmond gives us the opportunity to recruit someone from another club, citing the go home factor. We did it with Nick Davis, but can't remember any others.
    Tippett

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    LRT says hello I mean he was nicknamed the Hyphenator by some 😀
    Sure was! And predated Dennis-Lane by several years as I recall

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sure was! And predated Dennis-Lane by several years as I recall
    Yes that’s true he was selected by us before him but LRT played on with us for us a couple of years after TDL was traded to the Saints .
    I think that’s probably why I overlooked him and to be honest LRT had a slightly more memorable Swans career.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The first hyphenated Swan I remember watching was SMC

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The first hyphenated Swan I remember watching was SMC
    Ah yes he was a little flicker of positivity during those dark days in the early 90’s
    Only played in 4 wins in 46 games over 3 seasons but still kicked 169 goals for us.
    He was a pretty accurate kick and served us well until a bloke called Tony came to play for us.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast