Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Round 10 v Carlton @ Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Perplexed by your Bell comment and linking 'damaging comments' about him with Indigenous Round. I don't think they're connected.
    Yes. I've never seen a racial comment on here regarding Bell. Every comment has been directed toward his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We don't use Gulden at centre bounces. He is quick off the mark, reads the play and is an instinctive player. A mystery to me.
    He does get a CBA now and then. Just not many. I think he will be good at the CB as he matures.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No Cunningham hurt us.
    Ture, but we have a very short injury list, while Carlton had several key players out, so no excuses there. We've been getting killed this year in our defensive end scrabbles, stoppages and coverage in general. It's hard to tell what the problem is, but obviously too many players are getting loose at the wrong times. It may not be the sole fault of our defenders, but the midfielders dropping back into coverage are missing assignments as well. We may have to try a few new things the rest of the year to find the right combination. I'm sort of thinking that Florent may be one to stay more often in defence as well as keeping COR in the side at least until Cunningham is fit to play. I think JMac goes back to the midfield. It's very early days, but I wouldn't mind seeing Corey Warner given a lock down defender role sometime this year; maybe try him on an inexperienced small forward when the matchup looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Not surprisingly George Hewett killed us in the Centre. He was underrated with us and he's proving it now when given a real crack at it by Voss. Just a very good, consistent player. No ill will here for George.
    We've been down this road before. Most of us, Ludwig included, thought highly of Hewett, especially in his last couple of years. He had to be played out of position because, JPK, Parker and Mills are slower than average players, so we couldn't add George to this group when we were already being hurt for lack of pace in the centre. And George was not not good at other positions, as we have also discovered with Kennedy. Throw in the salary cap and George became the odd man out. No surprise he's doing well at Carlton. Our midfield will get there, but right now we are depending too much on younger players. Carlton broke so many of our tackles last night. They have a big, strong midfield, while some of our guys are not strong enough to bring them down. It just may take time to fix this one.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Not surprisingly George Hewett killed us in the Centre. He was underrated with us and he's proving it now when given a real crack at it by Voss. Just a very good, consistent player. No ill will here for George.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    +1
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Suspended by the MRP
    Dont know why anyone is shocked , you go into a game carrying too many dud names how do you expect to beat a top 4 side ?

Really disappointing loss last night. Watching the game live was hard to do with the umpires really allowing the Carlton fans to help make their decisions, with the vocal Blues crowd roaring every close decision and in particular the first half, when everything went the Blues way.

Wicks and Bell have to be dropped as they did nothing - Bell in particular was running around all over the ground looking as if he did not have a clue what he was supposed to be doing. I would also not pick Ladhams, when the ball hits the ground forget it.

That 50m penalty again Chad was a joke.I watched the qtr again this morning - he bounced the ball and when the umpire gave a free kick all he said was I bounced the ball ! Crips holds his arms out wide and protests against a free kick - NO PENALTY !! Plus how many times did our forwards have their arms chopped with no free kicks. This year is the worst season for really bad umpiring - and it is right across the games. Week after week you see really bad inconsistency in decisions and 50m penalties.

I

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I rewatched footage of the Warner one too which didn’t look too far at the ground. The ump missed his bounce, paid the free then the 50 for saying he had a bounce, then a tetchy free against Mccartin.

I know they out played us that qtr but that passage of play killed us.

Actually no I would have kept Hewitt rather than giving Josh another year, the game had already gone passed him last year. I understand the romance of getting him to 300 games but for a player that was never quick time comes even faster.

We didn't let George go to keep Kennedy though. Even if Kennedy retired we would of made the same call.

We did it to better position ourselves for the years ahead in terms of salary cap, not season 2022.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Negating coaching is an issue.

Back our midfield in to get their own ball.

We have a team full of ball winners playing half pregnant not knowing when to go and not to go.

Why tag Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt or Kennedy they are all inside bulls.

Id only get Will to run with a Half Back Flanker like Saad or Docherty

Let the mids go head to head, 2nd half proved they are capable

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Dont know why anyone is shocked , you go into a game carrying too many dud names how do you expect to beat a top 4 side ?
    Do you think we would do better if some of our players changed their names?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Do you think we would do better if some of our players changed their names?
    Today Coburg had a Baddeley-Kelly, a D'Intinosante and a Swierzbiolek running around. Fox, Reid and Clarke simply don't measure up!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I rewatched footage of the Warner one too which didn’t look too far at the ground. The ump missed his bounce, paid the free then the 50 for saying he had a bounce, then a tetchy free against Mccartin.

I know they out played us that qtr but that passage of play killed us.
    Yes, we were on a definite roll there, the umpires could sense it and stopping Warner in his tracks, followed by a pathetic 50m penalty and then paying the free against McCartin was the perfect momentum killer. It totally sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Actually no I would have kept Hewitt rather than giving Josh another year, the game had already gone passed him last year. I understand the romance of getting him to 300 games but for a player that was never quick time comes even faster.
    In HINDSIGHT, this is correct.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I agree with the crux of your post TB but is anyone here really acting shocked? I've read plenty of disappointment at the loss, some shock at the umpiring standard (though we shouldn't shocked be by now) and some rightful criticisms of some players for being duds but are you really witnessing 'shock'?

I think most Swans fans knew this game was going to be a real test and I doubt anyone thought it was a sure fire win....so I think your use of the word shock is just a pathway for you to impart your 'wisdom' in the second part of your sentence.

BTW, do you include Bell as one of last nights 'duds'?