Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 11 v Richmond Friday 7:50 pm SCG Pre Game Thread.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    McLean is still fairly young
    for a tall player. not interested in writing him off.
    True. I haven't written him off but not optimistic he will ever be in best 22. Happy to be proven wrong and still want to keep him as a good backup.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Great Reid again... Wtf does Amartey have to do to get a game
    Reid played much better than Amartey in the magoos last week.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Tell my why Sam Reid? Averages 1.5 at VFL level. Amartey averages 3.5 at same level. Reid is a hopeless ruck Amartey even beat Nic Nat. Amartey kicks goals, Reid points. Tell me WHY?????

The other ins are fully deserved.
    Reid is an AFL player, Amartey does well in the VFL .

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Reid played much better than Amartey in the magoos last week.
    Not in the game I watched.

They were both good and each took a lot of marks but Reid’s kicking was ordinary.

I agree with Liz that both Reid and Amartey were good, but Reid's goal kicking was woeful. Perhaps if the ruckman out was Ladhams and not Hickey we might have gone with Amartey, but Longmire is conservative and Reid brings the security of experience. It might have been too many unknowns and not enough stoppage practice together to carry both Ladhams and Amartey in the ruck. I would have still gone with Amartey, but I'm a bigger risk taker than the coach. I don't think this selection will be a game changer and surely Amartey will get his chance if he continues with his recent form.

The time has come where the whole team needs to put in a committed 4 quarter effort, especially at the SCG. It may be Dreamtime, but for the Swans, DoTime has arrived.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The time has come where the whole team needs to put in a committed 4 quarter effort, especially at the SCG. It may be Dreamtime, but for the Swans, DoTime has arrived.
    Dont mean this as a negative but i dont reckon we are capable of it . We have young players up and down , even our best ones.

We are still carrying too much dead weight in the team who arent good enough to pick up slack and shouldnt be getting games so often for us

Teams are stopping us from using corridor , we are turning it over in that part of the ground more than last yr and its not just because Dawson is gone .They know we are going there.

Lots to work on . Kids need more time in the gym over off season , more talent needs to be added to our list improve our depth , coaches need to be less predictable with the corridor . Busy off season needed for everyone employed at the Swans . Reason to panic , i dont think so. You look at rabble like NMFC and we are just fine .

Hoping Tom Hickey's toe issue isn't serious and that he'll able to resume the following week against Melbourne, where he'll be so much needed. The MC might have taken this into consideration and possibly explains Tom's less than usual influence last few weeks.

They may've also thought it might not be in Armatey's best interest to play just one game to make way for Hickey the following the week. He is likely to replace Ladhams should injury/form curtail him.

Horse did comment earlier in the year when Logan McDonald was dropped, that he had to find sustained form in the reserve's so that he doesn't find himself getting dropped from the seniors every 2nd week and impact his confidence. The same thinking might being applied to Armatey so that he can enjoy a longer party when he's selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Longmire is conservative ... I'm a bigger risk taker than the coach.

Two comments about this:

1. John Longmire is not solely (or even principally) responsible for selection - there is a whole match committee for that, and it includes Pyke, Cox, Macca and Gardiner.

2. Horse is not that conservative. While he may not be as big a risk taker as you, he tries his best to win every week (hence selection of Reid over Amartey) and he has blooded a lot of youth in recent seasons. In fact I think he used to be more conservative, until about 5 years ago. 10 years ago not that many draftees were getting their debut in their first season at the Swans. In the past few years, it's been a deluge. Last year all three new draftees were squeezed into the R1 team. In the three years before that we had debuted something like the equal most players of any team. Tonight we have a second debutant in an already young team. That is not conservative selection. I don't know where our team ranks for age currently but I reckon if you left Bud out we'd be one of the younger teams, possibly youngest in the top 8? Impressively, our games played/age ratio is very good. Again, good evidence of not overly conservative selection.

I do agree that the responsibility for the results lies more with our players than our coaches and the emphasis has to be on the players giving a strong 4 quarter effort.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ... I don't know where our team ranks for age currently but I reckon if you left Bud out we'd be one of the younger teams, possibly youngest in the top 8? ...
    I think I heard a few rounds ago we were the third youngest team but about the middle of the pack for games experience. Neilfws would probably love to run a spreadsheet on those stats

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...tics?mid=10625 shows that we were considerably older and more experienced than the Blues
    and then it swings the other way this weekend
    https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...lections#10639
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 27th May 2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: extra info
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Fox and O'Riordan sitting out the VFL game being played now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Dont mean this as a negative but i dont reckon we are capable of it . We have young players up and down , even our best ones.

We are still carrying too much dead weight in the team who arent good enough to pick up slack and shouldnt be getting games so often for us

Teams are stopping us from using corridor , we are turning it over in that part of the ground more than last yr and its not just because Dawson is gone .They know we are going there.

Lots to work on . Kids need more time in the gym over off season , more talent needs to be added to our list improve our depth , coaches need to be less predictable with the corridor . Busy off season needed for everyone employed at the Swans . Reason to panic , i dont think so. You look at rabble like NMFC and we are just fine .
    Fair observations TB, but please tell us just who the”too much dead weight” players are? For me, it’s Wicks but then many hold that he plays a team role. Of course there’s you know who but we all know that. So who else? Ollie and Wilbur? They can drift a bit but you can’t call them dead weight. They would get a game in all but the top 4, and even there they would be ok. Both on 100 games. So who else are you talking about?

Senior Player

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast