Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 11 v Richmond Friday 7:50 pm SCG Pre Game Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    We need Cunningham and Rowbottom in this team. Amartey will be a good replacement for pretty poor Peter. Wicks and Bell both in the same team does not work. Insane if it is allowed again.

We need a hard tagger I think against teams like Carlton who are very good in the centre bounces and make the middle of the ground 2v2 contest so it becomes easy to defend. But we don’t have one !

Tom Lynch. We should have it a bit easier in the front half hopefully.
    No McKay and only one tall target (Curnow) didn't seem to hinder Carlton's forward craft, especially in the 2Q.

We need to be hard at the contest for 4 quarters. Defend better when the ball hits the ground in our defensive end. Too many times, Blues smalls just snapped easy goals. COR Lloyd and our mids were non existent in 2Q once the ball hit the deck.

Ins: Campbell Fox Rowbottom Wicks Ladhams
    Outs: Bell COR JPK Ronke Amartey

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Clarke should be given a go but we become too midfield heavy and will then try and find places for Florent and Rowbottom to fit somewhere else. I think that is the problem. If he comes in he should come in if he is to replace Parker/Rowbottom.
    Clarke played as a small defender for North for a good part of his time there. I think he can play as an outside player, including a tagging role on opposition outside runners.

Regular in the Side
    Ins: Campbell, Rowbottom - both clearly best 22

After that it a bit less clear. Presuming we still want to win this match, wholesale changes may not be the way to go. For example, COR wasn't great, but he improved over the course of the match and it was his first AFL game of the season. Also his replacement would only be a marginal improvement, and getting a settled defensive unit might be a priority.
    I was most disappointed with the performance of the rucks - but again, this is the first time they have played together, so do we give them another chance to gel given that most of the better teams seem to be playing 2 rucks?

So my Outs: JPK, Bell - and back in the rest to play for 4 quarters this time.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Ins: Campbell Fox Rowbottom Ronke Amartey
    Outs: Bell COR JPK Wicks Ladhams
    Fixed that for you.

Pushing for Selection
    [QUOTE=Ralph Dawg;845822]

We need to be hard at the contest for 4 quarters. Defend better when the ball hits the ground in our defensive end. Too many times, Blues smalls just snapped easy goals. COR Lloyd and our mids were non existent in 2Q once the ball hit the deck.

Agree with all that. Bring back Nick Smith McVeigh and Crouch.

Give COR another game as he improved in the second half and as Ludwig says, Fox may only be marginally better.

So Ins: Campbell, Rowy, Stephens, Amartey/ Reid.
    Out: JPK, Bell, Wicks, Ladhams

Prefer Amartey as he has heaps of upside but Sammy has the experience so happy either way.

Wouldn’t mind seeing one of the youngsters but we can’t make too many changes.

May not be like for like but I don’t want to see either Bell or Wicks anywhere near the team for a while.

I didn't see the game on the weekend, as I was away camping, but despite the loss it was reassuring to hear that McDonald had a break out game and Campbell played well. Sad to hear Ladhams/Hickey isn't working.

I think that Amartey deserves a go, he is a much more versatile player than McLean and I like what I've seen of him as a ruck. I'd like him to get a 3-4 game streak to prove his worth.

Not suprised Bell was crap again. Not sure what the match selection committee is expecting to happen.

Also I think in 2020 Fox was one of our best in defence, I'd like to see him back in as well. Underrated player for us down there - can play on talls, smalls and mediums (obviously struggles against the monsters), is good aerially and can rebound well. He is like a (pre-2022) poor man's Rampe

Changes I'd like to see (noting all I've watched is the third quarter and some media clippings):

OUT: Ladhams, Bell, JPK, COR, Wicks
    IN: Amartery, Campbell, Fox, Rowbottom, Ronke
    Last edited by longmile; 23rd May 2022 at 10:44 AM.

Wicks was unlucky that his shot on goal was touched on the line but he could have run an extra metre. However, this was the sort of play he showed us early last year but sadly hasn’t reproduced it with any consistency. I would drop him to the ressies for a few games until he recaptures some form. He shouldn’t hold his spot based on his display against Carlton- we can’t accept an effort like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Give COR another game as he improved in the second half and as Ludwig says, Fox may only be marginally better.

So Ins: Campbell, Rowy, Stephens, Amartey/ Reid.
    Out: JPK, Bell, Wicks, Ladhams

Prefer Amartey as he has heaps of upside but Sammy has the experience so happy either way.

Wouldn’t mind seeing one of the youngsters but we can’t make too many changes.

May not be like for like but I don’t want to see either Bell or Wicks anywhere near the team for a while.
    I agree with your selections. I think it is time for Stephens to be given the same chance as Bell has, and left in the side for 3-4 games to really show us what he can do. Bell and Wicks have had their chances and have delivered below average performances.

Armartey would be my preferred replacement for Ladhams as I think he offers more around the ground, but Reid did have a good game last weekend in the reserves taking a lot of marks - but his kicking let him down as usual.

Suspended by the MRP
    Joey out for 8 weeks at least !

Roberts and Stephens in thanks !
    Last edited by TheBloods; 23rd May 2022 at 04:44 PM.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

Rowbottom straight back. Like for like.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

Saddest thing about this is he may now miss out on 300 games.

Doubt he goes around another year. He mightn't even come back??

Heart breaking.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast