Thread: Vocal home game crowds

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Vocal home game crowds

I think we had a very loud and very engaged crowd last night v Tigers.

Our muted home games have been bugging me for a while now. I know it's been noticed by the club and players in the past - that we are often too quiet.

Last night was electric. I don't think it was the comeback, we've had plenty yet still had a relatively quiet crowd. There seemed to be a formula at work that delivered a very loud support base on both sides. Friday night is a factor but again, I've been to plenty that were much quieter.

Demographic? Something else? There seemed to be something going on in the Trumper stand that helped too. Like a decentralised cheer squad.

Anyway good to see.

I'm curious about other views on what might have been the issue and what are the factors that rev things up.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

I was up there in the Victor Trumper Stand close to the very fun vibe up there which I hadn't seen before...there was a bunch of different groups egging each other on with a variety of fun:
    A very loud rendition of Hey baby I wanna know if you would be my girl was reminiscent of the ambience at European soccer grounds.
    Taking their shirts off on a balmy night and waving them around and jumping and dancing around..
    Baker boy also got people in the mood and Buddy helped lift the crowd no end and in that area up in the Victor Trumper Stand high up in Bay 21 there's usually a good sprinkling of opposition supporters also...just a really fun bunch and lots of funny characters yeling things out..
    Well worth the drive up from the Gong.
    Funny side story...the girl in front of me all decked out in Swans gear...I noticed her early on wildly celebrating a Richmond goal and they were drinking quite a few vodkas so I asked her did you make a mistake during that goal and she said she works in the Swans membership area and has been in Sydney for only a short time but has been a lifelong Richmond fan..she had an interesting night with her allegiances.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a far younger demographic also

Veterans List
    Could be that Swans SCG fans need a solid opposition fan base in full flight to support against. The Tiger army who were there last night made a lot of noise....did our fans just respond to that?

Because I have noticed that when we play at home against low fan base opposition teams, the entire crowd is quietish.....like our fans have not much to respond to.

I'd like to think not and believe that our home fans can fire up of their own accord....but it has to be said, Melbourne based Swans fans are great in that way.....they can make some noise!

They didn’t play the painfully loud music after goals so we could actually get some cheers going!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    They didn’t play the painfully loud music after goals so we could actually get some cheers going!
    I reckon that is definitely part of it! There was a good cheer and applause for the didgeridoo performance after each goal. Maybe it did give the crowd a way to reflect and celebrate each goal, in a way that drowning us out with loud music doesn't.

I think all the factors that people have mentioned combined last night. Some fun banter with a large and enthusiastic opposition supporter group. A (young) crowd over 30K. The Marn Grook occasion, which just seems to provide more space for celebration than the typical match day experience.

I do think though that the "silent SCG crowd" is a bit of a myth, perhaps exaggerated by some people who like to believe that Sydney people don't understand footy. That said I have never been to a game in Melbourne, so I can't compare. There's always a fair bit of engagement at the games I attend, a buzz whenever Buddy is near the ball and plenty of noise when he kicks a big one. It can go quiet when the team aren't going so well and are a few goals down, but I don't think that's special to Sydney.

Veteran Site Admin
    I was waiting for the didgeridoo version of SC at quarter time. Sadly it didn't eventuate and we were "treated" to the same old Neil Diamond version.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was waiting for the didgeridoo version of SC at quarter time. Sadly it didn't eventuate and we were "treated" to the same old Neil Diamond version.
    Not sure how it would sound on the didge. Scomo was there, however - TG we didn’t have to hear SC on the ukulele.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I was up there in the Victor Trumper Stand close to the very fun vibe up there which I hadn't seen before...there was a bunch of different groups egging each other on with a variety of fun:
    A very loud rendition of Hey baby I wanna know if you would be my girl was reminiscent of the ambience at European soccer grounds.
    Taking their shirts off on a balmy night and waving them around and jumping and dancing around..
    Baker boy also got people in the mood and Buddy helped lift the crowd no end and in that area up in the Victor Trumper Stand high up in Bay 21 there's usually a good sprinkling of opposition supporters also...just a really fun bunch and lots of funny characters yeling things out..
    Well worth the drive up from the Gong.
    Funny side story...the girl in front of me all decked out in Swans gear...I noticed her early on wildly celebrating a Richmond goal and they were drinking quite a few vodkas so I asked her did you make a mistake during that goal and she said she works in the Swans membership area and has been in Sydney for only a short time but has been a lifelong Richmond fan..she had an interesting night with her allegiances.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a far younger demographic also
    Agree, I think the demographic is important, also the size of each group.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Veterans List
    Looked brilliant on TV, the crowd response after each last qr goal.

Great to hear the Trumper Stand was rocking - that's where I usually sit and my own vocal efforts can seem somewhat overwhelming in the relative silence that often prevails,

Pushing for Selection
    The main target of the fuelled up ‘Hey Baby’ crew in the Trumper were the Tigers VFL squad. After their own narrow defeat earlier in the day, they had to cop the taunting that got louder as the beers kicked in and the Swans rallied. BTW do Security still attend? 😄

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ootf View Post
    The main target of the fuelled up ‘Hey Baby’ crew in the Trumper were the Tigers VFL squad. After their own narrow defeat earlier in the day, they had to cop the taunting that got louder as the beers kicked in and the Swans rallied. BTW do Security still attend? 😄
    Maybe after the Buddy crowd invasion they're having trouble getting security to come back? I love watching those boundary security guys when they actually have to chase someone, always good for a laugh.

Seriously, if staffing in the security industry is anything like what's available in hospitality right now, they're probably employing just about anyone and hoping nothing serious happens.