Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 12 Pre-Match Thread, vs Melbourne at MCG, 7:25 PM Saturday 4 June

Rnd 12 Pre-Match Thread, vs Melbourne at MCG, 7:25 PM Saturday 4 June

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Might as well appeal and quote the "nothing to see here" comment by the MRO when Lynch deliberately elbowed Impy.
    Franklin’s hit was off the ball; whatever we might think about Lynch his hit was in play. No argument could be mounted that Buddy’s hit was other than intentional. Doesn’t matter where he intended to hit Cotchin, his intent to hit is obvious . That’s all that is taken into account.

Take the one-match ban, treat it as a chance to rest a no-longer-young Buddy, and select the best team without him.

Ps: Buddy has always had a propensity to lose his cool when provoked, probably did it more often in his Hawthorn days when he was younger. Star players get a lot of ‘attention’ to which is understandably difficult not to react. Problem for Buddy is that he is so tall his retaliation hits or bumps often strike in the no-go area above the neck. I reckon we take this occasional ‘bad’ with the far more often ‘good’, and the many times ‘wonderfully brilliant’.
    Last edited by Meg; 29th May 2022 at 06:28 AM.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Whatever happens with Buddy please let the umpiring be a non event on the game and the result.

Probably bad timing for us the demons have had a calibrating loss but let’s see how the game unfolds.

Regular in the Side
    swans should appeal. cochin ios a sniper and get away with a lot. what did he do to buddy

Regular in the Side
    Cotchin didn't do anything outside the rules, so I don't think it will be relevant to the MRO. Take the week and give Buddy a rest.

Also - my input for the MC: Blakey, Hickey & Ronke for Roberts, Franklin & Wicks

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Whatever happens with Buddy please let the umpiring be a non event on the game and the result.

Probably bad timing for us the demons have had a calibrating loss but let’s see how the game unfolds.
    Umpiring so inconsistent and likely to stay this way. We just need to play with full intensity and keep it up for the whole game. Of course the opponent will have its moments and gain momentum but we can’t let them score at will.

Ins: Blakey, Amartey, Squizzy
    Out: Buddy (suspended), Wicks, Roberts

No way Wicks should be in the team until he proves himself in the twos. Squizzy deserves a game and young Roberts will get plenty of chances down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Challenge on what grounds? The only basis would be that Franklin didn't hit Cotchin. Otherwise, it seems a waste of time.
    Agreed. He whacked him on the chin. Not very hard & with an open palm - but it’s there and there’s nothing to challenge (from what I can see).

Cotchin deserved it & then overacted on the response - but, hey, he’s always been that sort of player and Bud should’ve known better. Got paid a free - but stupidly reacted and it got turned around. 12 pointer & a week out. Dumb.

Wicks on the other hand is not in a position to be forgiven for similar stupidity. Must be dropped.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Agreed. He whacked him on the chin. Not very hard & with an open palm - but it’s there and there’s nothing to challenge (from what I can see).

Cotchin deserved it & then overacted on the response - but, hey, he’s always been that sort of player and Bud should’ve known better. Got paid a free - but stupidly reacted and it got turned around. 12 pointer & a week out. Dumb.

Wicks on the other hand is not in a position to be forgiven for similar stupidity. Must be dropped.
    Buddy had no idea he had been paid a free. It was dumb but not as dumb as you make out.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post

Yep, take the week's rest Bud, it was so very dumb and clumsy, there's no justification.

OUT: Wicks, Buddy, Roberts
    IN: Taylor, Amartey, Fox

I'd love to see Taylor get a crack after being BOG in the ressies and putting in week in week out. However I think Taylor had his papers stamped in season 1 by Horse and Ronke will get the look in over Taylor for Wicks who's had 2 average weeks.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

I'd love to see Taylor get a crack after being BOG in the ressies and putting in week in week out. However I think Taylor had his papers stamped in season 1 by Horse and Ronke will get the look in over Taylor for Wicks who's had 2 average weeks.
    What about Blakey?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

No Blakey? Assuming his illness is short-lived, I imagine he'll be straight back in (and we did miss him).

I find Taylor immensely irritating to watch in the VFL side. He runs around, gathering possessions at will, calls for the ball when he's in a worse spot than the player passing it to him, and is often careless with his disposal. He does seem to have done something about the fitness issues that were a question mark when he first arrived at the club, but to me, he plays a Darcy Parish/Zac Merrett style of midfield, but with worse disposal. That said, those elements of his game were less prominent on Friday, when I think he did play a good game. I still wouldn't have him in the senior team though.

I don't think we're getting great value from Campbell in the back half. His pace and kicking skills suggest he could fit in well there, but he doesn't (yet) seem to have the confidence to use his pace to run the ball out of defence, or to take on the risky kicks that Blakey does (and that sometimes come unstuck but often truly clear the ball for us). When he came on as sub for Kennedy last week, he played further up the ground and I think was more effective. So if Wicks were to be banished (and I don't have strong feelings either way), I'd love to see Campbell move up and play across half forward for a game or two.

Alternatively, Ronke did have a decent game on Friday afternoon.

I also don't think we're getting as much out of Florent as we might. He's doing an OK job playing a defensive role but I'd moved him up to play on the wing, replacing Roberts, and also sometimes at centre bounces.

So for me:

Out: Roberts, Franklin, Wicks (maybe)
    In: Blakey, Amartey, Fox (maybe)

with Campbell and Florent to effectively replace Wicks and Roberts positionally. Blakey and Fox to replace Campbell and Florent positionally, which means COR also keeps his spot. I've only watched a replay of the second half, so far, but he did some pretty impressive things.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Buddy had no idea he had been paid a free. It was dumb but not as dumb as you make out.
    Dunno how dumb I’m making it out, but as Forrest Gump said… well, never mind.

Anyway, I think if we asked Bud himself he’d put his hand up & say “yeah, it was stupid”.

I’m not overly upset about it but slightly disappointed as next game is a real test of where we’re at. Would’ve loved to see Buddy out there - especially given May will also have a week off.

The Demons have slipped a little from where they were, so we’re a chance here (if we don’t count 2nd quarters).

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast