Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Round 12 vs Melbourne Demons @ MCG

Suspended by the MRP
    Lol

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Perhaps they are trying to develop the defensive side of his game for the future. Seems to have worked with Callum Mills
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Suspended by the MRP
    McDonald rising star nomination , another one . What a team we are putting together .

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I’ve said it before, he’s got one of the highest footy IQs I’ve seen, so I’d trust him with the “whatever you reckon Errol” role.
    Would Errol be a future coach?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The spotlight was on Campbell and Hawthorn were circling, plus 16 other clubs would have taken him in a heartbeat. But we don't appear to rate Campbell. I would suggest some clubs are already asking his manager of his availability.
    He is signed until end of 2025. He’ll be in the mids by then. Needs another preseason.

Plenty of players take a few years before getting big midfield minutes.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I'd be surprised if the club didn't, I distinctly remember some RWOers wanting to draft him in 2019 - the year before he was eligable. It was a piece of folly that the other clubs didn't rate him.
    If a player is under 175 cm, they are deemed "too short for the AFL". This is probably why Gulden wasn't rated by the other clubs. If he was 5 cm taller he would probably have been drafted in the first round.

If a player is good enough height doesn't matter much. "I see you picked a jockey", North Melbourne coach Pagan said when Brent Harvey was drafted at 175 cm. Harvey eventually broke the record for number of games played.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    If a player is under 175 cm, they are deemed "too short for the AFL". This is probably why Gulden wasn't rated by the other clubs. If he was 5 cm taller he would probably have been drafted in the first round.

If a player is good enough height doesn't matter much. "I see you picked a jockey", North Melbourne coach Pagan said when Brent Harvey was drafted at 175 cm. Harvey eventually broke the record for number of games played.
    Errol seems taller than that? Surely he’s got a few inches at least on Boomer? Although he did look pretty small when Horse gave him the big hug after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Maybe like Blakey and Warner he is played totally out of position for 12months ......2yrs in Blakeys case

I am very confident that Campbell will turn out to be a very good player for us - probably in the midfield. He is still learning the game at this level. I watched him closely on the weekend in the Reserves and while he did not dominate, he played in the midfield and his speed, class and good disposal stood out at times in the game.

On the Rookie List
    Campbell will be a gun, and I still have high hopes for Dylan Stephens.
    Not all draft picks walk into the senior side and play great footy from day 1. Errol is something of an exception there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Campbell will be a gun, and I still have high hopes for Dylan Stephens.
    Not all draft picks walk into the senior side and play great footy from day 1. Errol is something of an exception there.
    Campbell was never a big numbers player as a junior - more impactful than most with his raking kick but never a 20 plus disposal player every week .He played some of his State level games as a half back but I think he is more of a wingman / half forward than a half back. He never had an elite tank as a junior (Errol did) so I doubt he could spend a lot of time in midfield at this level at this point in time. His development will be interesting but unfortunately at the moment hes not a good lock down half back and hes not gaining any big metres as a running half back. He just needs time to develop but I worry of a big drop in confidence if you are not playing well in the role they keep giving you. Stephens looks a little like that in my view.

Veterans List
    Just watched the replay.

Rowbottom outstanding. 86 Pressure points. Next best was Mills on 63. Melbourne's best was Neil-Bullen on 38.
    Heeney had a great 3rd quarter and a heap on 1%ers.
    Sam Wicks played well enough and keeps his spot. Had a few good goal assists. Last quarter was good.
    Logan was very good.
    Tackles were top notch. This week they stuck and we got rewarded.
    Errol was very fortunate to get that late free.
    Chad was very consistent over 4 quarters. Uncannily gets to the fall of the ball from contest to contest. Always seems to be in the right spot.
    Defence is now set in stone. Robbie Fox adds a bit back there.
    We play better on big grounds.