Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 12: the other games. Quality, rather than quantity.

Round 12: the other games. Quality, rather than quantity.

While the first bye round sees a few less games, some of those games are likely to be intense and exciting affairs. Tonight's match, which sees Bevo's Free Kick Factory hosting the Corio Bay Retirement Village, should be one of them. Ten years ago, when Bob Murphy was still running around, I definitely would have been barracking for the Bulldogs. However, there seems to be so many reasons to dislike the modern Bulldogs, that I'll definitely be going for the Cats.

When I said that there's some quality games this weekend, the first Saturday game is unlikely to be one of them. It sees the Crows, who have lost their last five games, enter the game as short priced $1.11 favourites, to beat the team claiming to be the West Coast Eagles, who have lost their last seven. Some people will already be feeling sorry for Eagles fans, but personally, it will take at least another seven, before I even start to consider that emotion. And of course, if you have to consider an emotion, is it really an emotion?

Next is the other unlikely to be quality game: Suns v Kangaroos. On recent form, the Suns should win this easily. But hey, if that's the case, then at least checking out the Darwin crowd is usually entertaining. While I do enjoy a packed MCG, there's something appealing about playing AFL on a ground that looks sort of suburban, in front of a crowd that's more ethnically diverse than pretty well every Australian suburb. There's also a vague chance that the Suns will be in the eight by the end of the round, but that would involve something like them winning by over 100, the Dogs losing by over 50 and Collingwood losing.

Now it's back to quality, with us taking on the Demons on Saturday. Reckon we have a reasonable chance.

The first Sunday game is the Hawks and Magpies. This might also be an intense affair. For the Hawks, it's almost season over if they lose, while the Magpies will be buoyed by being only one game out of the eight. And while I said that I quite like the Darwin crowd, there's also something appealing to me, about a brutalist stadium that's packed with two sets of rabid fans, who give every indication that they really don't like each other.

The final game is the Dockers hosting the Lions. I was just going to type that after their win over the Demons, the Dockers are clear favourites for this, but there appears to be a recent plunge on the Lions and they're now at $1.87 to the Dockers $1.97. Which seems about right, as the Dockers have some big outs, in Walters and Taberner. Still, should be an excellent game, that will go some way to sorting out which team is a genuine contender.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Back to your best, deja.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    While the first bye round sees a few less games, some of those games are likely to be intense and exciting affairs. Tonight's match, which sees Bevo's Free Kick Factory hosting the Corio Bay Retirement Village, should be one of them. Ten years ago, when Bob Murphy was still running around, I definitely would have been barracking for the Bulldogs. However, there seems to be so many reasons to dislike the modern Bulldogs, that I'll definitely be going for the Cats.

When I said that there's some quality games this weekend, the first Saturday game is unlikely to be one of them. It sees the Crows, who have lost their last five games, enter the game as short priced $1.11 favourites, to beat the team claiming to be the West Coast Eagles, who have lost their last seven. Some people will already be feeling sorry for Eagles fans, but personally, it will take at least another seven, before I even start to consider that emotion. And of course, if you have to consider an emotion, is it really an emotion?

Next is the other unlikely to be quality game: Suns v Kangaroos. On recent form, the Suns should win this easily. But hey, if that's the case, then at least checking out the Darwin crowd is usually entertaining. While I do enjoy a packed MCG, there's something appealing about playing AFL on a ground that looks sort of suburban, in front of a crowd that's more ethnically diverse than pretty well every Australian suburb. There's also a vague chance that the Suns will be in the eight by the end of the round, but that would involve something like them winning by over 100, the Dogs losing by over 50 and Collingwood losing.

Now it's back to quality, with us taking on the Demons on Saturday. Reckon we have a reasonable chance.

The first Sunday game is the Hawks and Magpies. This might also be an intense affair. For the Hawks, it's almost season over if they lose, while the Magpies will be buoyed by being only one game out of the eight. And while I said that I quite like the Darwin crowd, there's also something appealing to me, about a brutalist stadium that's packed with two sets of rabid fans, who give every indication that they really don't like each other.

The final game is the Dockers hosting the Lions. I was just going to type that after their win over the Demons, the Dockers are clear favourites for this, but there appears to be a recent plunge on the Lions and they're now at $1.87 to the Dockers $1.97. Which seems about right, as the Dockers have some big outs, in Walters and Taberner. Still, should be an excellent game, that will go some way to sorting out which team is a genuine contender.
    Great insights there Deja. Dogs and Cats will be interesting. I also really liked Bob Murphy- such a terrific player for a skinny bloke! The Dockers v Lions will be a great guide and our match against the leaders could surprise many Victorians as we have a chance- only wish we would have made a better selection! Campbell for Wicks was a no brainer! If Wicks doesn’t have a good game he needs to go back to the 2’s for a decent spell!

I’m starting to sound like TB😊

Dogs looking a rabble. Can hardly hit a target coming out of their defence.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks again for starting this thread, deja, and love your new nickname for the Poodles.

The Free Kick Factory is working below capacity at quarter time, however. The Poodles are losing the free kick count by 2 and are down on the scoreboard by 33!

Keep it up Cats!

Dogs fans complaining about free kicks makes me feel all kinds of weird

I dont know whether to be outraged and angry at them or happy

No Stewart, no Geelong

Weightman really is addicted to staging. If he can't get near enough to the ball, he invariably throws himself forward with arms flailing. Thankfully, the umpires seemed to have sussed out his M.O.

Still, he's probably the most irritating player in the AFL. It's like he's the result of a bizarre genetic experiment, where Toby Greene was crossed with genes from a shih tzu and a Tennessee fainting goat.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Weightman really is addicted to staging. If he can't get near enough to the ball, he invariably throws himself forward with arms flailing. Thankfully, the umpires seemed to have sussed out his M.O.

Still, he's probably the most irritating player in the AFL. It's like he's the result of a bizarre genetic experiment, where Toby Greene was crossed with genes from a shih tzu and a Tennessee fainting goat.
    Toby Greene at least I rate as an actual pure footballer.... Weightman I don't. Think he is vastly overhyped at this point in his career, and his theatrics are infuriating to watch.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Bailey smith with the headbutt. Surely that’s 2-3 weeks. What a degenerate team

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Poodles all over Geelong in that quarter and back within 11.

C'mon Cats!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Bailey Smith should be given a choice between two weeks and a haircut.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast