Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 13: they're all other games.

Round 13: they're all other games.

With both our AFL and VFL teams having byes, our players can have a bit of R n' R before making a finals charge in the second half of the season. Hopefully, that R n' R won't involve drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and picking a fight with a team mate or two. Nor should it involve sampling any of the drugs, that may sound interesting in a club at two in the morning. Now that I think of it, hopefully no one will consider a quick course of a sports supplement, that they found on the internet or at Windy Hill. And perhaps they should stay away from impromptu games of American football and attempting to leap innocuous seeming chain fences? Nor should they be careless while doing ambitious home renovations, or even manoeuvring around slippery bathrooms. And I really hope that no one spends a significant amount of their time with their manager, discussing what other clubs might be willing to offer. Actually, it might be safer if they just played football.

Speaking of football, the round starts tonight at the MCG, with Richmond hosting Port. Looking at the weather forecast, it should get down to 10 degrees. So perhaps they can spray the crowd with water, to give them a Big Freeze matchday experience? Actually, I wonder what the result would be, if you surveyed the crowd on which experience they would prefer: occasionally being sprayed with freezing water, or getting your ears blasted every time you think about having a conversation, with the sort of music that you didn't really like all that much when it came out in the 70s and 80s? Anyway, football wise, even though Richmond are currently more of a threat to our ladder position, I'd probably prefer them to win; just so Port are a touch demoralised when we play them next week.

It's hard to know who I want to win in the Friday night game. On the one hand, Carlton are obviously more of a threat, but on the other hand, Kevin Sheedy and others, have been putting forward the notion that the AFL owe Essendon an apology over the supplements saga.

The first Saturday game sees Hawthorn take on Fremantle in Perth. Seems a sort of thankless task for Hawthorn. Fly 2,700 kilometres to Perth, to be welcomed by pouring rain. Get flogged on a ground that should be a mud heap. Fly back again. Listen to some crap from Jeff Kennett.

The night game is something of an optimism test for us Swans fans. Feeling optimistic about our chances of running down Brisbane, then it's St Kilda to win. Feeling a bit vulnerable about our position in the eight, then it's Brisbane to win.

The Sunday game is between two of the season's most disappointing teams; North and GWS. Well, it's not disappointing to me, but to their own fans. Time for North to get another win, or will they get the sort of thrashing that will have West Coast fans celebrating?

The round finishes on Monday with the Big Freeze game between Collingwood and Melbourne. Hopefully, whatever humour is still in the celebrity sliding, won't be entirely sucked out by giving BT the MC role. Football wise, I guess the interest lies in seeing if Collingwood are a genuine finals side, or if the slump has really set in at Melbourne.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Hopefully, that R n' R won't involve drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and picking a fight with a team mate or two. Nor should it involve sampling any of the drugs, that may sound interesting in a club at two in the morning.
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo, you wowser.

But seriously, go Essendon and Hawks as it improves top four chances, go Richmond to knock the stuffing out of Port before we play them, and go Pies to maybe improve our draft pick attached to the Dees.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo, you wowser.

But seriously, go Essendon and Hawks as it improves top four chances, go Richmond to knock the stuffing out of Port before we play them, and go Pies to maybe improve our draft pick attached to the Dees.
    Wowser, huh. Well, because of that, I'm going to have to reach for that bottle of scotch. And I may not put ice in the glass.

Senior Player
    Actually, I wonder what the result would be, if you surveyed the crowd on which experience they would prefer: occasionally being sprayed with freezing water, or getting your ears blasted every time you think about having a conversation, with the sort of music that you didn't really like all that much when it came out in the 70s and 80s?
    This reminds me, I read this article recently:

Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

The article itself wasn't that insightful (I disagree with much of it), but the comments are interesting and worth reading through (I can't believe I said that either).

A very high proportion of them cite the "match day experience" - in particular, incessant blaring noise - as a major disincentive to attend games. Ticketek is up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    This reminds me, I read this article recently:

Why has there been a downturn in AFL crowds this season? It’s not just Covid to blame

The article itself wasn't that insightful (I disagree with much of it), but the comments are interesting and worth reading through (I can't believe I said that either).

A very high proportion of them cite the "match day experience" - in particular, incessant blaring noise - as a major disincentive to attend games. Ticketek is up there too.
    Yes, I read that a couple of days ago and also found the comments more interesting and entertaining.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If you’ve watched the closing minutes of the match tonight, you’ll know why I’m on a let’s recruit Liam Baker streak.

Veterans List
    Yes, I read that a couple of days ago and also found the comments more interesting and entertaining.
    People keep calling in to SEN about the shambles that is buying tickets for games. It will be a combo of things that has crowds down. I think Covid is now a minor issue.

Hawthorn has a big membership base but budgies don't attend games. They are fair weather supporters now they are struggling.
    The Eagles can't get warm, Adelaide is luke warm and Port are but battlers this year.
    Carlton are flying but their home games are at Marvel.
    Essendon games are still billed as blockbusters but their supporters have dropped off.
    Last edited by Nico; 9th June 2022 at 11:41 PM.

Senior Player
    If you’ve watched the closing minutes of the match tonight, you’ll know why I’m on a let’s recruit Liam Baker streak.
    Yeah.

Also diverted by the 'Aliir drops a sitter in defence and Bolton picks up the dropped mark and misses from the goal square' sequence.

Veterans List
    I don't think we are missing Allir. He was pretty ordinary tonight from what I saw. He looks like he has lost a lot of weight.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Allir is exceptional when he’s allowed to play loose and intercept. But clubs have worked out that he needs to be held accountable and he’s not a great one on one defender against proper key forwards. Key defence is a weakness for Port so he’s forced to play the role he doesn’t like, particularly when the opposition plays three tall forwards.

Yes, I thought he was BOG. Though I suspect that Richmond would be keen to keep him.

Senior Player
    I only watched the second half but based on that I don’t think either team will be making the finals this year.
    It would be nice to see the Tigers in their rightful place on the ladder 9th 🤣
    Our game against the Power is a must win for us and while they have home ground advantage we should account for them. Given the form of Port and their ladder position it’s a game where good sides don’t stumble and I hope we are at that stage by now where we turn up for every game.
    With their form this year the Port fans will probably be down in numbers and I think it is almost time for the tarps to be unfurled again.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast